Was J.R. Graves - founder of Landmarkism - an Arian?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pergamum

Ordinary Guy (TM)
Associated Baptist Press - Trinity debate trickles down to gender roles

While the whole argument may sound strange to modern ears, the late Southern Baptist theologian Dale Moody wrote in his 1981 book, The Word of Truth, that Arius’ view was not far different from statements in the 19th century by J.R. Graves, founder of a theological movement among Southern Baptists known as Landmarkism.

And:

Landmark Baptists

J.R. Graves, "The Work of Christ in the Covenant of Redemption; Developed in Seven Dispensations". Baptist Sunday School Committee, 1928 (Originally Published in 1883).

The heading of Chapter 4 (pages 61-65) reads: "Definition of Creation--Time--In the Beginning, etc.--The Relations of the Father and Son not Eternal, therefore no 'Eternal Father,' nor 'Eternal Son,'--The Covenant of Works and Consequences of its Violation considered."

On pages 61-62, he clearly denies the eternal Sonship of Christ:

"Therefore, before the birth of creation there could have been no relationship existing as that of the Father and Son, for these are terms relationship, and imply order of being, and consequently demand time. If this be so, then evidently the phrases 'Eternal Father,' and 'Eternal Son,' are not admissible, since they involve a manifest contradiction. As certainly as the Creator must exist before the thing created, the begetter must exist before the begotten--Father before Son. And it is no less contradictious to say that Father and Son eternally existed in these relations; we may as consistently affirm that the creature and its Creator co-eternally existed. One must existed before the other, else creation is as eternal as the Godhead,--never had a beginning. Every effect must exist in its cause. The phrases '"Eternal Son of God,' 'the Eternal Father,' are manifestly of human coinage,--not the selection of the revealing Spirit. . . . The relationship, expressed by the terms Father and Son, originated with the conception of the Covenant of Redemption and Work of Christ, and when that work is consummated, the relationship and its inferiority will cease ."

That doesn't sound quite like Arianism, but it does sound bad to me. A sort of modalism, from the snippet provided.

I have read that it was common among some calvinistic baptists 2 centuries ago or so to deny the eternal Sonship of Christ, but I forget the name attached to it and forget the history of the controversy.

Curt Daniel in his history of calvinism series delves into this topic I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back