Watchman

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottmaciver

Puritan Board Sophomore
How do we understand the portion of scripture below, not so much in our duty to warn sinners but particularly in regard to the meaning of the words 'but his blood will I require at thine hand?'

'Son of man, I have made thee a watchman unto the house of Israel: therefore hear the word at my mouth, and give them warning from me.

When I say unto the wicked, Thou shalt surely die; and thou givest him not warning, nor speakest to warn the wicked from his wicked way, to save his life; the same wicked man shall die in his iniquity; but his blood will I require at thine hand.'
(Ezekiel 3:17-18)

Any thoughts would be appreciated

In a New Testament context, this passage can be applied to pastors who fail to preach the whole counsel of God. The Lord will hold them accountable for other's sins when they fail to preach the truth. The passage would be most applied to false prophets and unsaved preachers who will surely go to hell and be judged more severely.

In a New Testament context, this passage can be applied to pastors who fail to preach the whole counsel of God. The Lord will hold them accountable for other's sins when they fail to preach the truth.

Accountable for their sins? or for their death? In this passage I see the watchman accountable for the loss of the ones not warned, not accountable for their iniquity. Maybe you could elaborate on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back