Wavy Bible Pages

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTB.SDG

Puritan Board Junior
I got a new Bible a few months back. It's a Schuyler PSQ, and I really love a lot about it, but the pages have these "waves" that are hard to explain: basically, if you put your finger towards the top of the page and run it from the inside to the outside, you feel 5-6 bumps. I wrote them and they said it just kind of happens sometimes and hopefully they'll become more normal with use. Has anyone else run across this? Anything I can do? Thanks.

It's just the pages rippling because you're causing the ripples by pushing down on the pages. If you touch a page softly without pushing down you'll notice there are no ripples....so it has nothing to do with the pages being rippled themselves but with the fact that you are causing the ripples. Anything you can do about it? Stop feeling the pages lol

Well, I don't think so because when I contacted them they said that this just kind of happens randomly sometimes. They were familiar with it but didn't have any answers, if that makes sense. I started noticing like a week after I got the Bible and had only flipped through it a few times.

In reading Mark Bertrand's Bible Design Blog he has touched on that somewhere, If I recall correctly, and it is a result of poor binding. I have an Oxford Long Primer from the 1950s, that has a wavy text block, and it has held up just fine.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

If the company knows about the problem it seems they should replace it -- it's a shame to have something so important in your life not be just right.

If the company knows about the problem it seems they should replace it -- it's a shame to have something so important in your life not be just right.

They return anything after 10 days but after that this particular issue isn't covered because it's not considered a "defect" necessarily. At the time I was so happy just to get it in time because we were going overseas and I thought it wasn't going to make it by the time we left. It's really not a huge deal; I wish it didn't bug me.

In reading Mark Bertrand's Bible Design Blog he has touched on that somewhere, If I recall correctly, and it is a result of poor binding. I have an Oxford Long Primer from the 1950s, that has a wavy text block, and it has held up just fine.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Did the paper in yours even out over time with use? Or should I just get used to the wavy pages?

Did the paper in yours even out over time with use? Or should I just get used to the wavy pages?
I know the Bible in question was made in the '50s because of the Oxford printer's name. I bought it on ebay some years ago with the original pages as wavy as the day it was bound. Here is Bible Design Blog on the topic, make sure to read the comments as well as the blog post.

Did some more searching on Bible Design Blog. Typing 'wavy' into search yielded this thread which seems to account for the source of the problem. Read the comments as well, particularly that of rjg (3rd comment down page)
https://www.bibledesignblog.com/blo...eories-on-an-annoying-phenomenon.html?rq=wavy
Here is the Cambridge Bible site link mentioned in the third comment by rjg, an interesting read on what makes a quality Bible.
https://www.cambridge.org/bibles/about/recognizing-fine-bible/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back