WCF American Revision Theological Engagement Resources

Status
Not open for further replies.

LanceJ

Puritan Board Freshman
Hey All,

My intention is not to beat the beleaguered horse regarding the American Revision's to the WCF. I've perused almost all the threads concerning it. I'm curious to know if anyone has come across resources (i.e. articles, books, or any other form of treatments) that specifically engage with and defend the American position from a theological perspective. Much of what I've encountered addresses the Historical significance and relevance of the both the Original WCF position and the American Revision but I'm specifically interested in whether there are any modern academic engagements with the theology behind the changes.

Thanks Much,

Lance

Hi Lance, welcome back to the PB. Do mean all the revisions held by the OPC or just the founding PCUSA revisions? And do you mean all or just the big one at chapter 23? For modern work, I believe but don't have it in hand to confirm to what extent it handles both views, that Chad Van Dixhoorn's exposition takes the PCUSA/OPC positions (again to what extent he examines both sides I can't say).

Hey Chris,

Thank you, happy to be back.

I'd say I'm principally interested in the revisions as adopted by both the OPC and PCA so not the revisions of 1903, and beyond that the revisions at Chapters 20 and 23. I have Van Dixhoorn's book, "Confessing The Faith" (I assume that 's the one you're referring to). He does treat the subject, although notably not theologically per se. He does have some helpful Historical points (as should be excepted from Van Dixhoorn) on the subject. He conclusively states that he finds even the revision (the magistrate giving no preference to a christian denomination) not an idea that is from the Bible although it is not necessarily incompatible with it. Additionally, he mentioned that the Philadelphia Synod would not have had in view (obviously) the 19th century and beyond Cultic Milieu of our day back then and so diversity would have been considerable back then albeit different. He does note that they did not seem to be concerned with excluding anti-trinitarian heretics from their purview.

Perhaps removing the "modern" caveat from my OP would be helpful. Is there any pro revision theological treatment post the revision date of 1788?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back