"We are never more fit for this holy table, than when we are most humbled, and most ashamed of ourselves" Willison.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NaphtaliPress

Administrator
Staff member
"We are never more fit for this holy table, than when we are most humbled, and most ashamed of ourselves, because of our unfitness for this solemn approach: and we are never less fit [for the Lord's Supper] than when we think ourselves most fit and prepared for the duty." John Willison, Sacramental Meditations , in Works, p. 243.

Last edited:
There is the anglican practise of having the minister stand at the Lords Table and go through necessary words and yet he never sits at the Table, as is normal when consuming a meal, and further the minister distributes the bread and another holds the Cup, and the Table not in the fore. Such is my church, and have felt as though i am not fully participating in the Meal by virtue of dishonoring the Head the Table so to speak. Does Willison assume that Participation in the institution of the Lords Table is met by standing, as my church does, which causes me unease when partaking, namely literally on the move as elements go into throat unless i stand and wait which i say annoys the devil and causes me great urge to move if that is good and faithful and true.

There is the anglican practise of having the minister stand at the Lords Table and go through necessary words and yet he never sits at the Table, as is normal when consuming a meal, and further the minister distributes the bread and another holds the Cup, and the Table not in the fore. Such is my church, and have felt as though i am not fully participating in the Meal by virtue of dishonoring the Head the Table so to speak. Does Willison assume that Participation in the institution of the Lords Table is met by standing, as my church does, which causes me unease when partaking, namely literally on the move as elements go into throat unless i stand and wait which i say annoys the devil and causes me great urge to move if that is good and faithful and true.
The particular work (the meditations) cited does not go into practice, but I would assume Willison defends elsewhere the Scottish practice of everyone coming to the table, in series as needed, with the minister officiating and everyone passing the elements amongst themselves. However, defects such as not coming to an actual table do not make the sacrament not the sacrament; just needs reforming in particulars.

Yes; sorry, I see now that the text dropped out in the cut and paste (Facebook formatted text apparently disappears on Xenforo!). I fixed it. There is a separate edition here and here also.
Thanks. Providentially, I was teaching on the Lord's Supper this past Sunday, and I had a conversation with a congregant on this exact subject!

I was going to reply last night but didn't. I am cautious about your question because you are seeking to examine practices based upon posture and other things when the first worry should probably be matters of the heart. Yes, the things you mention might be things to be concerned about but the practice should come secondary to the heart in my opinion. And we all know what opinions can lead to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back