We Seek No Turkish Paradise!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joshua

AdMEANistrator
Staff member
Found this nourishing nugget from Thomas Manton while reading one of his sermons with some fellow saints this evening (Works, Vol. 2, p. 57):

In heaven there is perfect felicity and exact holiness; then the saints are glorious saints indeed, when they have neither spot, nor wrinkle, nor blemish, nor any such thing . . . . Now this we have not in the world; but because this we expect in the other world, we are to labour after the highest perfection in holiness here, because allowed imperfection is a disesteem of blessedness. Do we count immaculate purity and perfection in holiness to be our blessedness hereafter? and shall we shun it, and fly from it, or at least neglect it, as if it were our burden now? No surely! "He that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, as Christ is pure," (1 John 3.3). He that looketh not for a Turkish paradise, but a sinless estate, will endeavour it now, get as much as he can of it now. When you cease to grow in holiness you cease to go on any farther to salvation; you seem to be out of love with heaven and blessedness when your desires and endeavours are slaked.​

Thanks for posting this, Josh.

I had to think about the title for a moment, but in case any were wondering, by Turkish paradise, I believe Rev. Manton meant Muslim paradise. If so, then he is comparing the Muslim concept of a very sensual place (multiple virgins for the men, among other things), to the holiest of places. And if we are to be in the latter (which is holy), then we must also be holy (it cannot be otherwise Hebrews 12:14).

Praise God that he will make it so for all who believe. May he give us the will, and strengthen our resolve to that end, that we might make the pursuit of heaven, and being with the Lord forever, our chief interest in this life.

As an aside, there are those who would discourage this pursuit by saying things like, "That guy is so heavenly minded, he is no earthly good." To me this seems wrong, and I think the scriptures bear this out. The more heavenly minded we are, and filled with the love of God through Jesus Christ, we are better able to help our brothers and sisters, our neighbours in this life.

May God grant you all a peaceful and blessed Lord's day (and especially those who are snowed in with church services canceled).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back