Website broken on Firefox?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haeralis

Puritan Board Freshman
Hello everyone, I am experiencing an issue where Firefox just continues "loading" the page without anything happening. The loading screen remains blank forever without ever coming to the Puritanboard. No other website seems to be giving me this problem though. I thought maybe there was some kind of server maintenance, but the website is working just fine on Safari and my phone.

Do you guys know how I can fix this problem? I hope I articulated my problem clearly enough.

It's been like that going on 2 weeks now. I've tried everything including clearing cookies, cache, history, and even installing FF over itself. Nothing works. You'll just keep getting the endless loop of, "Firefox has detected that the server is redirecting the request for this address in a way that will never complete."

I've used Chrome to get in. I did find another way in Firefox. If you have a link to the PB, such as on a homepage or a FF bookmark, right-click the link and choose "Open Link In New Private Window". That will bypass the endless redirect. You may have to login once the site opens in a Private Window. I also have no idea why this method works when using FF normally doesn't. Hope this helps.

It's been like that going on 2 weeks now. I've tried everything including clearing cookies, cache, history, and even installing FF over itself. Nothing works. You'll just keep getting the endless loop of, "Firefox has detected that the server is redirecting the request for this address in a way that will never complete."

I've used Chrome to get in. I did find another way in Firefox. If you have a link to the PB, such as on a homepage or a FF bookmark, right-click the link and choose "Open Link In New Private Window". That will bypass the endless redirect. You may have to login once the site opens in a Private Window. I also have no idea why this method works when using FF normally doesn't. Hope this helps.

Norm, the fact that you can get to the site by Open Link in a New Private Window, shows taht the site is not "broken on Firefox". I'm frustrated by the whole problem I created but I've gotten all the browsers that it wouldn't work on to work. Firefox included.

Keep clearing everything in Firefox. It eventually "took." I read somewhere that Firefox does not do this all right away when commanded; it is done in the background and eventually. It is possible it never completes? So just start, clear, close and repeat several times to see if it eventually works. That's what it took for me.

I also wonder if it's a DNS cache problem or that it's related to the fact that there was some sort of information cached that keeps trying to force the browser to https.

I was having trouble getting to PB using my computer but not my phone so I knew it wasn't PB. I went to preference on safari, then to privacy, then clicked on details and cleared the cookie for PB. It didn't work, so I went back in and cleared EVERYTHING from the details button and it worked like a charm.

It works fine on Firefox (I'm on now) on my laptop that I upgraded to Win10, but still won't work on my desktop Firefox on Win7. I use an outdated Seamonkey that works great for PB on the Win7 machine. After clearing everything a couple of times on the Firefox on the Win7, there was no improvement.

At this point, I'd guess that the problem is probably something I blocked in my various levels of security on my main machine that I certainly keep tighter than this one. But since I can't get into it, I can't try letting various things through to see what it might be.

My suggestion would be that anyone still having the problem try using a less secure browser.

"You do not have permission to access this page"

OK, I understand the new post, then. Basically, the problem was caused when the website hosting company changed some security settings. While most of us with problems were Windows/Firefox folks, there were some Android users and some Chrome users that had problems. Most were able to solve their problems by clearing the cache and cookies (it took several rounds for some folks); a few of us have been unable to resolve the problem that way. Setting up a private browsing session has worked for some folks (I need to try that one), while using other hardware or software combinations has been the 'go to' for others.

The guy who keeps the site running has basically done everything at his end that he can; that's why I think the remaining issues are either at the user end. (I'd like to blame the ISP, but the problem appears to be machine and software specific.)

I think that is it in a nutshell. Haeralis cannot access the thread in the link because it is in the coffee shop and he only has 10 posts (one needs 26 posts to have access to private forums).
"You do not have permission to access this page"

OK, I understand the new post, then. Basically, the problem was caused when the website hosting company changed some security settings. While most of us with problems were Windows/Firefox folks, there were some Android users and some Chrome users that had problems. Most were able to solve their problems by clearing the cache and cookies (it took several rounds for some folks); a few of us have been unable to resolve the problem that way. Setting up a private browsing session has worked for some folks (I need to try that one), while using other hardware or software combinations has been the 'go to' for others.

The guy who keeps the site running has basically done everything at his end that he can; that's why I think the remaining issues are either at the user end. (I'd like to blame the ISP, but the problem appears to be machine and software specific.)

I also wonder if it's a DNS cache problem

I tried purging my computers DNS cache and it did not help. Like I said I tried everything. :)

If you haven't tried this yet:

Uninstall Firefox and then...
Remove user data and settings

The uninstaller does not remove any user data such as history or bookmarks. If you wish to completely remove this data, you must manually delete the Firefox folder containing your user profile:

Click the Start button or press the Windows key Windows Key to open the Start Menu.
Type %APPDATA% (when you start typing, a Windows search will start) and press enter to open the hidden Roaming folder.
Open the Mozilla folder.
Delete the Firefox folder.
Alternatively, you can press the Windows key Windows Key +R to open a Run dialog, type in %APPDATA%\Mozilla\ and click OK to open the Mozilla folder, then delete the Firefox folder.

Well, I tried deleting my DNS cache (both through the browser itself and a system wide OS X terminal command) and deleting / reinstalling Firefox. Neither of them worked, I am sorry to say. Opening a private window works, but I dislike having to log in every time I want to come to PB.

I guess I'll just use Safari until the problem is resolved. I suppose those of us having this problem just need to remember the words of the Apostle Paul when he said in Philippians 4:

"...I have learned how to be content with whatever I have."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back