weird issues w/ Christmas on Sunday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott

Puritan Board Graduate
Please do not devolve into a discussion of whether Christmas is permitted by the RPW.

Christmas this year is on a Sunday. I have actually heard Christians suggest that there should be no church service b/c of Christmas. This is almost surreal. The idea is that we should miss worship on the Lord's Day b/c of a "religious" holiday. I think this is a sign of how secular Christmas has become in protestant circles.

It is strange how holidays in Catholic circles are feast days of obligation, actually requiring attendance at church - indeed it is sinful to not attend. In some protestant minds it is almost the opposite. The "religious" holiday is chiefly celebrated in non-religious ways that trump biblical practices (Lord's Day worship).

Now, don't think that I am arguing against Christmas. I am pro-Christmas and pro-church calendar. I am just amazed at conservative protestants who "want to put Christ back in Christmas" actually think that maybe we should not worship on Sunday, Dec. 25.

Anyway else experience anything like this?

Gee... we *can't possibly* go to church Christmas morning...it would interfere with opening all the presents!!!

smilie_yellow_icon_rolleyes.gif

I haven't heard anyone suggest that we actually cancel Sunday morning services...
However...
I wager that due to all the travel that occurs at Christmas, many churches will be very empty that morning. Then again, it isn't like this is the first time Christmas has fallen on a Sunday. I'd love to hear from the old timers about what happened 7 years ago! :)

Originally posted by bond-servant
Gee... we *can't possibly* go to church Christmas morning...it would interfere with opening all the presents!!!

It won't interfere at my home... we're going to start opening presents at 5:30am! :p

Originally posted by SolaScriptura
Originally posted by bond-servant

It won't interfere at my home... we're going to start opening presents at 5:30am! :p

We are going to exchange presents and let the kids open on Saturday. There is no reason to tempt them to be distracted in worship waiting to either open or play with gifts. Since Christmas Day isn't magical, I don't think any of my kids will object to opening a day early!

2 hours of church shouldn't interfere with anyone's Christmas. But it will be wierd if a Christian travels to a family member's house out of state to spend the Christmas. "To go visit a family to purposely celebrate a holiday that would impede on the Lord's Day".

I haven't heard anyone suggest that we actually cancel Sunday morning services...
However...
I wager that due to all the travel that occurs at Christmas, many churches will be very empty that morning. Then again, it isn't like this is the first time Christmas has fallen on a Sunday. I'd love to hear from the old timers about what happened 7 years ago! :)

Actually the last time December 25th was on the Lord's Day was 1994. Leap year and all.

Originally posted by fredtgreco
We are going to exchange presents and let the kids open on Saturday. There is no reason to tempt them to be distracted in worship waiting to either open or play with gifts. Since Christmas Day isn't magical, I don't think any of my kids will object to opening a day early!

I actually like this idea. My kids are all young, so it isn't like they would be driven insane by anticipation if they had to wait until the end of church, but at the same time, your idea is quite good. I will bring this up to my wife...

What I remember about December 25, 1994 is thinking, "Wow, so this is what it is like when all the stores are closed on the Lord's Day!"

Originally posted by VirginiaHuguenot
What I remember about December 25, 1994 is thinking, "Wow, so this is what it is like when all the stores are closed on the Lord's Day!"

:lol::lol::lol:

:lol:

:scholar:

The Dutch have a tradition of having St. Nick Day on Dec. 5, (or is it 6?). I find that very odd. They take the secular out of Christmas to an extreme, so that Christmas is all about Christ only. That's OK; that's what we do too. But then they also have a Sinter Klaas Day. That's what I don't get.

Christmas on Sunday this year is just more convenient, because we don't go to church an extra day, that's all. It doesn't change anything for us.

I thought you lived in Virginia. Blue Law...

Or did you live elsewhere then.

Originally posted by puritancovenanter

I thought you lived in Virginia. Blue Law...

Or did you live elsewhere then.

I lived in Texas at the time. But almost everything is open on the Lord's Day in Virginia anyways.

My sister agreed to a switch and we will have xmas dinner at her place (which means I probably won´t get over there since will be at church all day :banana: ). It normally is at the old Coldwell homestead; we will have Thanksgiving dinner here instead this year. BTW, this Google Earth thing is fascinating; and a bit scary. Here's a satellite view of the old homestead.
myhouse.jpg

Originally posted by fredgreco

Sorry to disappoint you Fred but Santa isn't going to deliver the gifts that early. You're just going to have to get up extra early on the Sabbath. :)

Originally posted by Jeff_Bartel

:ditto:

We usually attend a Christmas Eve service at church, come home and light the last candle of the advent wreath, have a little birthday cake, and then open presents. This has really helped my kids identify the day as Christ's birthday. I can't think of any better finish than going to worship the next morning.

Originally posted by dkicklig
Originally posted by Jeff_Bartel

:ditto:

We usually attend a Christmas Eve service at church, come home and light the last candle of the advent wreath, have a little birthday cake, and then open presents. This has really helped my kids identify the day as Christ's birthday. I can't think of any better finish than going to worship the next morning.

Why do you teach them that it is Christ's b-day?

Originally posted by Slippery
2 hours of church shouldn't interfere with anyone's Christmas. But it will be wierd if a Christian travels to a family member's house out of state to spend the Christmas. "To go visit a family to purposely celebrate a holiday that would impede on the Lord's Day".

Hmmm ... what's the big deal? Jesus, Mary and Joseph had to travel for His birthday.

It is sad to me that Christian invent a holiday and then need to jump through hoops to deal with the consequences.

My church is only having one morning service instead of two morning services and an evening service.

Originally posted by JohnV
It is sad to me that Christian invent a holiday and then need to jump through hoops to deal with the consequences.
What a curious thought.

What's curious is that ostensibly reformed churches would alter their practices in order to elevate one Sabbath day above another. And how do they do this? For some it means they will be eliminating regular worship services for the convenience of their members. For others it means special music, special decorations in the church building, extra pomp and circumstance. Presbyterians acting like Anglicans and other high churchmen.

It's both curious and sad, but such is the nature of will worship.

Agreed.

I'm a secretary in a PCA church & I've already corrected 2 people who assumed we would not have ANY worship services on December 25th. One was an ELDER - the other seemed severely put out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back