Well I think it worked...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks nice, but is there going to be a cheat sheet made available (or is there one that I haven't found yet?)

Adding a comment is straightforward, but I still haven't figured out how to tie it to an existing comment (the old 'quote' function).
It looks like you click the "+Quote" button, and then click the "insert quote" button that shows up. I don't know how to do a single quote, but this would work well for multiple quotes as well.

Like others have said, it is a LOT different and will take some getting used to, but I'm sure it will prove to be very good indeed, once we scale the learning curve.

It also looks as if generic avatars (as opposed to uploaded photos) didn't make the transition - maybe now we'll get to see the faces of those with whom we're communicating (unless, like Edward, you upload a picture of a dog! :duh:)

It looks like you click the "+Quote" button, and then click the "insert quote" button that shows up. I don't know how to do a single quote, but this would work well for multiple quotes as well.
You don't need to always use the multi-quote. Clicking "Reply" on a previous post automatically quotes it.

I don't know how to do a single quote, but this would work well for multiple quotes as well.

Fred, if you simply highlight the portion you want to quote, it gives you a drop down option to quote it.

Then you go through the "insert quote" procedure.

Yes, but your highlighting method allows for a partial quote!

Does anyone know if there are alternative themes?

Not a big deal, but I also notice that there is not a button at the end of a page to go to the top of the page (unless I am missing something...)

Ah! I see I was missing something - there is a "top" button on the dark blue navigation bar at the bottom of the page...

Feels.....weird.....

But I can't complain. Thank you Rich for being such a wonderful caretaker of the board and gives us a platform to talk about real, Godly, theology! You're underappreciated.

I see we can now "like" instead of "find helpful". And it is not anonymous!

Personally, I didn't like the 'find helpful' feature for several reasons that I won't mention. At first I thought the whole thing was done away with but then I noticed the 'like' feature. I think it would be better without the 'like' feature, but it's better than the thumbs up because (as you mentioned) you can now see who's clicking like every time their favorite guy comments on the board. Now there's nothing wrong with that, but I do remember some time ago there was a guy that joined the board and he was posting these outrageous liberal comments. I mean he was flat out denying the bible on a number of issues. I think he was removed becuase his comments disappeared after a while, but I couldn't believe how many guys were finding his posts 'helpful.' At least now we can know who those guys are if that ever happened again.

As an FYI... in my settings page it shows me as a chaplain in Stuttgart, Germany... I tried to update that info, but when I attempted to save it gave me an error message to put something in all the required fields. I've gone through 3 times verifying that something is in the required fields... and it won't update. What am I doing wrong?

As an FYI... in my settings page it shows me as a chaplain in Stuttgart, Germany... I tried to update that info, but when I attempted to save it gave me an error message to put something in all the required fields. I've gone through 3 times verifying that something is in the required fields... and it won't update. What am I doing wrong?
Did you check the boxes also? There is at least one required field that is a checkbox. That upended me for a bit.

Did you check the boxes also? There is at least one required field that is a checkbox. That upended me for a bit.

That's right. Older users did not have to fill in information that we require now.

You need to make sure the "Exceptions to Confessional Standards" box is filled in and to check the box "I promise I will not advocate un-Confessional views."

Anyone else keep getting logged out suddenly a few minutes after signing in, even when having checked the box to stay signed in? I am not clearing cookies or anything of that nature. It will happen just from clicking on the home page or leaving a thread.

That's right. Older users did not have to fill in information that we require now.

You need to make sure the "Exceptions to Confessional Standards" box is filled in and to check the box "I promise I will not advocate un-Confessional views."

Ah, that did it... I assumed I could leave the "Exceptions to Confessional Standards" field blank if I didn't have any exceptions. By putting "None" in the field, it accepted the update. Thanks!

au5t1n said:
Anyone else keep getting logged out suddenly a few minutes after signing in, even when having checked the box to stay signed in? I am not clearing cookies or anything of that nature. It will happen just from clicking on the home page or leaving a thread.
Yes, that would happen to me on the site before we migrated (I was using Chrome; don't know what would happen on other browsers). It hasn't happened to me on this new one yet.

Another couple of questions for my betters.

1) Is the number of posts displayed anywhere?

2) Does the like button add to the number of posts? In the old days when names were appended, it did. Now that the names are back....

Another couple of questions for my betters.

1) Is the number of posts displayed anywhere?

2) Does the like button add to the number of posts? In the old days when names were appended, it did. Now that the names are back....

The number of posts is displayed when you click a member's avatar.

It looks nice, Rich, and the functionality is impressive for having migrated so recently. Kudos for a job well done!

The only thing I miss, so far, is the ability to read the first line in a thread's opening post by hovering over the thread title. That was a real time-saver on the old site.

The only thing I miss, so far, is the ability to read the first line in a thread's opening post by hovering over the thread title. That was a real time-saver on the old site.
That feature works even better here. You should see a large bubble appear with content from the opening post when you hover over a thread title in a particular forum.

Okay, I see that feature now, but only when using one of my three browsers. I guess I need to update my other browsers.

I'm pretty new to PB, but I did join under the old format. From what I can tell, BRAVO Good Sir!

Greetings,

What about putting in the code that lets the scripture reference text appear when you hover over the reference, E.g., John 3:16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back