were the prophets inerrant? (and ramifications to biblical i

Status
Not open for further replies.

rembrandt

Puritan Board Sophomore
When the prophets spoke on behalf of God, were they [i:0035ae72e4]inerrant[/i:0035ae72e4]? If they weren't then God's word is not pure and he lied. If they said such and such happend on such a date, it must have actually happened, or else the prophet and God are wrong.

The logical conclusion of infallibility is inerrancy, right? All prophets were inspired, therefore anything they say is qualification for Scripture. Atleast that was the basic criteria for the early church's inclusion of books in the canon. (Keeping in mind of course that not all who wrote in the Bible were prophets but were still inspired.)

Were the prophets inerrant in what they spoke for God? If so, this makes the 'Church doctrine' of Biblical inspiration much easier.

Rembrandt

[Edited on 5-28-2004 by rembrandt]

Good point.

And if there was a false prophet, there was always that "on pain of death" kind of thing.

Most people have the idea that inerrancy is unique to the written word. But I am unconvinced of every arguement (so far) for inerrancy of the Bible, that does not assume the inerrancy of all true prophesy.

Mainly because there is nothing in the Bible that speaks for an inspiration that is unique to the written word. Tim. 3:16, Pet. 1:21 can be used for all prophets as they spoke the word of God orally, and not the Bible alone. The "spiration" of 3:16 is nothing unique to the written word.

[Edited on 5-28-2004 by rembrandt]

sorry to disappoint you, but i don't know...

but it looked like you are left hangin' out there... so i thought i'd at least let you know we're not ignoring you...

hehehee

[quote:15d8caecb7][i:15d8caecb7]Originally posted by Irishcat922[/i:15d8caecb7]
As far as what we have recorded for us by The Holy Spirit yes they were. [/quote:15d8caecb7]

What about in what wasn't recorded?

[quote:591e395e04]
The logical conclusion of infallibility is inerrancy, right?
[/quote:591e395e04]

Yes. Everything the prophet said on behalf of God written or not was infallible and inerrant.

The same goes for the information that we do not have recorded that came from the Lord Jesus - whichowuld fill the world with books, according to John. Everything Christ said was inerrant and infallible in terms of his prophetic ministry.

It would go to say that such is the case for ALL prophets.

[quote:ae473f5630][i:ae473f5630]Originally posted by webmaster[/i:ae473f5630]
[quote:ae473f5630]
The logical conclusion of infallibility is inerrancy, right?
[/quote:ae473f5630]

Yes. Everything the prophet said on behalf of God written or not was infallible and inerrant.

The same goes for the information that we do not have recorded that came from the Lord Jesus - whichowuld fill the world with books, according to John. Everything Christ said was inerrant and infallible in terms of his prophetic ministry.

It would go to say that such is the case for ALL prophets. [/quote:ae473f5630]

If they weren't, I might have had to give up Biblical inerrancy because there is nothing in Scripture that says something about the Bible (related to inerrancy), that couldn't also be said about the prophets. i.e.- when Jesus said, "Not a jot or title will fall away", the same could be said about ALL prophesy since it was from God.

Paul

Anybody want to try to prove the inerrancy of the Bible without assuming the inerrancy of the prophets in all they spoke on behalf of God?

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back