Westminister SC

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccravens

Puritan Board Freshman
I am currently reading through the WSC, or actually an exposition of it by John Flavel, out of volume 6 of his Works. Having a Baptist background, the catechisms are all new to me. I am REALLY enjoying the WSC, and especially Flavel's commentary on each question.

What other commentaries on the WSC (or the Larger), would you recommend? Next, I am going to Watson's Body of Divinity which I assume is similar.

Thanks for your advice!

Shaw is probably the best when dealing with issues like effectual calling.

My favorite is Watson. In many ways he is a better "wordsmith" than GK Chesterton.

I am currently reading through the WSC, or actually an exposition of it by John Flavel, out of volume 6 of his Works. Having a Baptist background, the catechisms are all new to me. I am REALLY enjoying the WSC, and especially Flavel's commentary on each question.

What other commentaries on the WSC (or the Larger), would you recommend? Next, I am going to Watson's Body of Divinity which I assume is similar.

Thanks for your advice!
Check out Van Dixhoorn.

I have been reading his book "Confessing the Faith" and it has been very edifying. It is also written on a level that is easier to follow. The format of the book also fits nicely for reading small portions aloud to the family.

https://www.amazon.com/Confessing-F...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=6AJ5X1VVZ3P84KYRWJJQ

You may find this website helpful as well is making your decision:
https://reformedbooksonline.com/commentaries-on-the-westminster-confession-of-faith/

Last edited:
Thomas Vincent's The Shorter Catechism Explained from Scripture is a very good one. If you want something more modern, see G. I. Williamson's commentary on the WSC. As for the Larger Catechism, J. G. Vos is your best port-of-call. Joe Morecraft has a huge 5-volume commentary on it, but that may be too much to read.

Check out Van Dixhoorn.

I have been reading his book "Confessing the Faith" and it has been very edifying. It is also written on a level that is easier to follow. The format of the book also fits nicely for reading small portions aloud to the family.
Banner of Truth also produces a study guide which, no doubt, adds to its usefulness.

When I saw this thread title, I thought it was going to be about the town of Westminster, SC. I've been there, but there is not much to see!

Watson's "Body of Divinity" and Vos' Commentary on the Larger Catechism go nicely together In my humble opinion. SGCB produce Watson's work in a convenient one volume work (Banner of Truth have it in three volumes).

You know, I was just thinking about that yesterday. Banner of Truth should take Watson's 3 volumes, set them in a modern typeface, with consecutive page numbers, and publish it as a nice hardback. That would be nice.

You know, I was just thinking about that yesterday. Banner of Truth should take Watson's 3 volumes, set them in a modern typeface, with consecutive page numbers, and publish it as a nice hardback. That would be nice.

Yes, because the Banner volumes (I have the "Body") has small font. Ditto the SGCB combined edition.

Does anyone know where I might find a copy of the Morecraft for sale? The only copy on Amazon is $425!!!

Does anyone know where I might find a copy of the Morecraft for sale? The only copy on Amazon is $425!!!
American Vision is the publisher, and they don't even have it. You might try to contact Morecraft about it; otherwise you'll probably just have to find a used copy.

As an aside, if you are a baptist and enjoying the catechisms (especially the WSC), then you would appreciate the Baptism Catechism, which is a baptist revision of the WSC done concurrently with the 1689 LBCF. Likewise there is The Orthodox Catechism, which is a baptist revision of the Heidelberg done by Hercules Collins.

The largest is Fisher's Catechism with over 4,000 sub-questions.
There's a link online at https://goo.gl/U5gi3Z, but a more polished and proofread book is in print here. The publisher offers Fisher's Catechism for a 30% discount to the PB members only. Be sure to use discount code PBFISHER
Thank you for making this available, Ed. It is a wonderful resource for the church militant. I consult it often and am always edified by it.

The largest is Fisher's Catechism with over 4,000 sub-questions.
There's a link online at https://goo.gl/U5gi3Z, but a more polished and proofread book is in print here. The publisher offers Fisher's Catechism for a 30% discount to the PB members only. Be sure to use discount code PBFISHER

Did anyone else notice that the title of the webpage (in the browser tab) for the product page for this book is "How To Master The Radial Arm Saw"?

Did anyone else notice that the title of the webpage (in the browser tab) for the product page for this book is "How To Master The Radial Arm Saw"?

Ha Ha Ha, Can't win em all. We also sell a very popular book by my father in law. It has a loyal cult following among woodworkers. It's been selling for about 20 years. I must have cloned one store to another without cleaning everything up.

Here's the link to his antiquated page.
https://www.mrsawdust.com/

Ha Ha Ha, Can't win em all. We also sell a very popular book by my father in law. It has a loyal cult following among woodworkers. It's been selling for about 20 years. I must have cloned one store to another without cleaning everything up.

Here's the link to his antiquated page.
https://www.mrsawdust.com/

That's great. LOL. Sorry, I wasn't trying to call you out or anything. I just happened to look at the tab at the top of my screen and was scratching my head so hard. :p

I took it be a play on words, given that the WSC is ancilliary to the WCF, hence a radial arm of the body.
rolleyes.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back