Westminster Confession commentary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan1

Puritan Board Freshman
Greetings! I'm working with my family this new year through the WCF and have drawn help from GI Williamson's commentary, and especially AA Hodges's. Can anyone recommend additional helpful commentaries on the WCF?

Greetings!

Here's my list which will hopefully help:

Rowland Ward: The Westminster Confession of Faith: A Study Guide for the 21st Century
Joseph Pipa: The Westminster Confession of Faith Study Book: A Study Guide for Churches
Chad van Dixhoorn: Confessing the Faith
R.C. Sproul: Truths we Confess: A Systematic Exposition of the Westminster Confession of Faith

I have found all of the above useful. Pipa's has the least amount of details/commentary on the WCF per se compared to the others, but as the subtitle suggests "A Study Guide for Churches", it is just that, as it is more an overview of each section divided into lessons, which contain reading assignments, not only from the parts of Scripture appropriate for the portion of the WCF dealt with in the lesson, but also reading assignments from appropriate sections of the Westminster Shorter and Larger Catechisms, the Belgic Confession, the Heidelberg Confession, and the Canons of Dordt, all of which are included in the text as appendices, which I found very illuminating.

I haven't worked my way all the way through Ward yet, as I just recently picked it up, but so far, so good.

Greetings! I'm working with my family this new year through the WCF and have drawn help from GI Williamson's commentary, and especially AA Hodges's. Can anyone recommend additional helpful commentaries on the WCF?

BTW, while I am at work, I am currently listening to a series of lectures (15 total) that Sinclair Ferguson gave on the WCF at the Westminster Theological Seminary back in the 90s. There are a lot of really nice lectures and sermons (thousands!) out there at the WTS Archive Media Center. I've created a hyperlink that will pull up these Ferguson lectures...

WTS Archive Media Center Search

Greetings!

Here's my list which will hopefully help:

Rowland Ward: The Westminster Confession of Faith: A Study Guide for the 21st Century
Joseph Pipa: The Westminster Confession of Faith Study Book: A Study Guide for Churches
Chad van Dixhoorn: Confessing the Faith
R.C. Sproul: Truths we Confess: A Systematic Exposition of the Westminster Confession of Faith

I have found all of the above useful. Pipa's has the least amount of details/commentary on the WCF per se compared to the others, but as the subtitle suggests "A Study Guide for Churches", it is just that, as it is more an overview of each section divided into lessons, which contain reading assignments, not only from the parts of Scripture appropriate for the portion of the WCF dealt with in the lesson, but also reading assignments from appropriate sections of the Westminster Shorter and Larger Catechisms, the Belgic Confession, the Heidelberg Confession, and the Canons of Dordt, all of which are included in the text as appendices, which I found very illuminating.

I haven't worked my way all the way through Ward yet, as I just recently picked it up, but so far, so good.
Excellent thank you for the list

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back