What about Satan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard King

Puritan Board Senior
I was reading a review on a book called Wild At Heart by John Elderidge on another site (Challies.com) and part of it said this:

View of Satan - Eldredge views Satan as the one who is to blame when we sin. He seems to believe that we are little more than victims rather than being fully, 100% responsible for our own sins.

My question:
Does Satan have no part in sin?

I understand that.

But he also tried to get Jesus to turn some rocks into bread some years later. Mr 1:13

And he bound some woman for 18 years in Luke 13:16 who I do not think was Eve.

And Satan seemed to be present with or in Peter:
Mt 16:23
But he turned, and said unto Peter, Get thee behind me, Satan: thou art an offence unto me: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men.

And Peter seed to indicate Satan was active and a part of sin in this verse:
Acts 5:3 -
But Peter said, Ananias, why hath Satan filled thine heart to lie to the Holy Ghost, and to keep back part of the price of the land?

AND John 13:27 says Satan entered Judas.

and 1Co 7:5 warns against letting Satan tempt you

I'm just seeing activity here. Where am I misunderstanding?

Satan does influence sin. He tempts. He deceives. Anything to distract us from exercising faith, hence causing us to stumble. But we don't need Satan to do this. We still have part of that corrupt man left in us, which can sin plenty without Satan's help. Perhaps if you are under a more intense form of temptation you may probably attribute that to Satan, but it's hard to discern since this goes beyond our ability to understand. So long as we are clinging to Christ, we will not stumble no matter who/what is responsible for our temptation.

[Edited on 10-2-2005 by puritansailor]

"Precious Remedies Against Satn's Devices" by Thomas Brooks
"Satan's Tempatations" by Richard Gilpin
Or even Thomas Manton on the Temptation of Christ.

Any of those three would be far and above excelling Elderidge's comments towards Antinomianism (which is really what he is saying - no need to worry about sin for when it happens its not our fault - the devil made me do it. Sounds like Flip wilson all over again!).

Sounds like Elderidge has been watching some SNL reruns. Remember the Church Lady? Veiled antinomianism.

Could it be......SATAN??????:banghead:

church_lady.jpg

Some of this helps me. Some of it will drive me to deeper study.
I think I live in the capital of antinomianism. I certainly studied the Bible under the biggest antinomian on the planet so I am familiar with people who buy into Flip Wilson theology.

Some posts still raise questions. If the scripture says 'resist the devil and he will flee" and advises you to put on the full armor of God to battle Satan...why would 'fighting' the devil be a wrong message?

Originally posted by Richard King
Some posts still raise questions. If the scripture says 'resist the devil and he will flee" and advises you to put on the full armor of God to battle Satan...why would 'fighting' the devil be a wrong message?

It just depends on what you do with that message, and how you go about "fighting the devil." The devil influences through ideas, temptations, etc. The best way to "fight" is to know and believe the gospel. The you can resist temptation as you prayerfully trust in Christ, and you can refute and destroy those thoughts and ideas contrary to Christ. The devil is all about distraction from Christ. If he can do that, then you will stumble and he wins the battle. He will do anything to keep you from exercising faith in Christ, whether it be false teachings, temptations, persecutions, etc. It's also important to remember that the devil is not omniscient. He doesn't know who the faithful are just as we don't, though he may have a better idea. He is out to suppress any expression of faith.

man that is TRUE. I had not noticed or it had not occured to me conciously but those posts made me realize that the things I used to struggle with the most are far less "powerful" since I have been just reading and digging into scripture. And I haven't even been digging for scripture specific to the things I was battling ...as I would have done in the past.
I have just been studying the really basic foundational truths.

I can give you my old church address. They will teach you to bind the Devil. Pretty sad stuff.:barfy:
I do have a serious question. When I pray I get these random off the wall anti God thoughts that shoot across my mind. Is that me? Am I nutso? or is it demonic activity trying to distract me? It does not happen all the time but it happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back