What are the main touchpoints of a sinful act?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stope

Puritan Board Sophomore
For a person who is already in Christ, what are the key touch points of a sinful act? That is, when I, as a Christian, sin, what is happening behind the scenes? A bullet point response would be awesome. For example, the sin of being rude to my wife, Below I give some concepts that I think are there, but not sure:

Touch-points of sin:
-I have offended/angered God (what other emotions does God have when I sin? Is he sad?)
-I have offended/hurt others
-I have stifled fellowship with the Spirit in my life (when does it resume?)
-I have stored up some form of "punishment" (or lessened a degree of "rewards" I will get in the afterlife?)
-Christ tells the Father to forgive me and the father does (does he Joyously do so? Or perhaps does my sin ever "make it" to Gods ear since all sins past and future will be removed far from east as west...)?​

I ask this because I really want to be aware of the damage I do when sinning as well as further gratitude to Christ for His forgiveness

Any thoughts would be appreciated

I am not sure if this is what you are looking for, but it might be a good place to start:

WLC (<--see for scripture citations indexed below)

Q. 151. What are those aggravations that make some sins more heinous than others?

A. Sins receive their aggravations,

1. From the persons offending[922] if they be of riper age,[923] greater experience or grace,[924] eminent for profession,[925] gifts,[926] place,[927] office,[928] guides to others,[929] and whose example is likely to be followed by others.[930]

2. From the parties offended:[931] if immediately against God,[932] his attributes,[933] and worship;[934] against Christ, and his grace;[935] the Holy Spirit,[936] his witness,[937] and workings[938] against superiors, men of eminency,[939] and such as we stand especially related and engaged unto;[940] against any of the saints,[941] particularly weak brethren,[942] the souls of them, or any other,[943] and the common good of all or many.[944]

3. From the nature and quality of the offense:[945] if it be against the express letter of the law,[946] break many commandments, contain in it many sins:[947] if not only conceived in the heart, but breaks forth in words and actions,[948] scandalize others,[949] and admit of no reparation:[950] if against means,[951] mercies,[952] judgments,[953] light of nature,[954] conviction of conscience,[955] public or private admonition,[956] censures of the church,[957] civil punishments;[958] and our prayers, purposes, promises,[959] vows,[960] covenants,[961] and engagements to God or men:[962] if done deliberately,[963] wilfully,[964] presumptuously,[965] impudently,[966] boastingly,[967] maliciously,[968] frequently,[969] obstinately,[970] with delight,[971] continuance,[972] or relapsing after repentance.[973]

4. From circumstances of time[974] and place:[975] if on the Lord’s day,[976] or other times of divine worship;[977] or immediately before[978] or after these,[979] or other helps to prevent or remedy such miscarriages;[980] if in public, or in the presence of others, who are thereby likely to be provoked or defiled[981].

-I have offended/angered God (what other emotions does God have when I sin? Is he sad?)

Sin certainly is an offence to God. But because people see the word "offended" and think it means someone getting huffy, perhaps a better way to phrase it would be to say that you have rebelled against God and against his word/law. God doesn't react to our sin with emotional fits. But sin surely is rebellion against him.

In addition to rebellion, any individual sin also has, at its root, the underlying sin of unbelief. When you or I sin, we are failing to act as those who believe the law, promises, warnings, blessings of salvation, position we have in Christ, etc. that constantly ought to drive our behavior.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back