What are you reading this week?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eoghan

Puritan Board Senior
I am reading

Tom Sawyer with my son (aged 10)

Pride and Prejudice with my daughter (aged 12)

The Politically Incorrect Guide to Capitalism

The Federalist Papers

John 20 (with commentary by FF Bruce)

(There are a couple of others that are "out to be read" but I would be lying if I said I had read them recently)

I often wonder what the Puritans would have read. From what I have read they were very widely read and read secular "classics" extensively. They did however refuse to acknowledge this background reading in their sermons. I think I would like to see that practice returning. So let me know what you are reading this week as a little snapshot of what we are all reading.

I am reading (or attempting to read) The Pauline Eschatology as well as various articles on pulmonary embolisms (for school). I look forward to May when I will have time to finally start the Brothers Karamazov.

A Guest for Godliness, JI Packer
The Last Stand: Custer, Sitting Bull, and the Battle of the Little Bighorn, Nathaniel Philbrick
WCF Study guide, Williamson

The Battle For Singapore: The true story of the greatest catastrophe of World War II -Peter Thompson
The Glorious Body of Christ - R.B. Kuiper
The Worst Journey In The World - Apsley Cherry-Garrard
Psalm 119: - Charles Bridges

Am reading the Bible chronologically - this week is Solomon and Proverbs.

e commerce for dummies.

Vos on the Larger catechism.

I started reading:

1) Lectures on Calvinism by Abraham Kuyper.
2) Is There a Meaning in This Text by Kevin J. Vanhoozer. Might quit though do to philosophy.
3) How to Read the Bible for All Its Worth by Gordon D. Fee. Might quit this one also due to statements on the KJV.

Just finished:

1) Let Us Pray by John Piper, R C Sproul, and others.
2) Sector 64P: Coup de Main by Dean M Cole.
3) The Transforming Power of the Gospel by Jerry Bridges.

I'm currently out of town visiting a friend/helping her with the kids while her hubby is out of town... so I was limited on what I could fit in my bag, heh.

WCF & Larger catechism.
The Excellent Wife, Martha Peace.
Voices from the Past, Richard Rushing. (I just started this a week or two ago, LOVE it!)
Valley of Vision

On top of my normal bible reading.

On Pause is Love Life For Every Married Couple (Reading it with my fiance). We only read it when we're in person together. :)

The Gospel for Real Life - Jerry Bridges

At the Throne of Grace - John MacArthur

Tabletalk magazine for March: The Self-Centered Life

The book of Joshua (not Hicks)

I've been reading again Precious Remedies Against Satan's Devices by a favorite puritan Thomas Brooks.

Last edited:
A Call To Holiness - JC Ryle
A Faith That Is Never Alone - P. Andrew Sandlin (Editor)
The Making Of Modern Economics - Mark Skousen

The Death of Death in the Death of Christ by John Owen
How to Read the Psalms by Tremper Longman III
Como Agua Para Chocolate

My personal reading in the word...Matthew & II Chronicles
Other books..."Attending Upon God without Distraction" by Nathanael Vincent
With my wife...Morning & Evening by Spurgeon and Valley of Vision
With the kids...the book of Mark, Training Hearts - Teaching Minds, and Reformation Heroes

The Christian Warfare Volume 7 in Reverend D.Martyn Lloyd-Jones Ephesians series.

The Gospel Mystery Of Sanctification by Walter Marshall

The Gospel of Mark chapters 9 through 16 for 30 days, as suggested in John Macarthur's How To Study The Bible.

"The Way West" by A.B. Guthrie. It is a multilayered look at a group of individuals heading for Oregon Territory. Good insights into the human condition, and interesting historical fiction. There is use of God's name in vain, which will usually lead me to put a book down, but there is a prominent preacher character in the book condemning this and other sins, so I have thus far continued reading.

---------- Post added at 10:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:41 PM ----------

Last of the Mohicans - Cooper

I read this and all the Leatherstocking tales in the high hopes that somehow they would coalesce into a grand opus. Boy was I disappointed. I'd love to hear your take on it though.

---------- Post added at 10:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:42 PM ----------

I'm currently out of town visiting a friend/helping her with the kids while her hubby is out of town... so I was limited on what I could fit in my bag, heh.

WCF & Larger catechism.
The Excellent Wife, Martha Peace.
Voices from the Past, Richard Rushing. (I just started this a week or two ago, LOVE it!)
Valley of Vision

On top of my normal bible reading.

On Pause is Love Life For Every Married Couple (Reading it with my fiance). We only read it when we're in person together. :)

I read the Excellent Wife, too, and shared another saint's opinion that it was overly legalistic. Have you found the same? I did not have too much trouble with most of her advice, but, she got herself a pretty good husband and I find the sort of pat answers to be possibly harsh from women whose husbands are just plain mean and irrational.

For instance, basically saying you just never withhold (her opinion of biblical relations), well, what if you are out the door taking your kids to church that he never attends and he decides he wants to see you right now? (Obviously a stab at your church participation, and awfully awkward to boot) Can you say "no?" Can you say "later?" What do you say to the kids? A real life example I was made aware of, and the advice doesn't address this sort of arbitrary and ugly behavior.

It was recommended to me by a PB'er as chick lit - Ok they didn't actually use those words explicitly but that was the gist of it. Still not sure if my daughter enjoys my reading or the book itself. She had me reading her poetry earlier in the week!

We started with a multiple ending (choose your own adventure?) book from a christian author. She really liked this but I have been unable to source any more. I have one on sex and dating but it seems a bit heavy at this point in time and I have not been able to skim the endings to check I agree with it.

I read the Excellent Wife, too, and shared another saint's opinion that it was overly legalistic. Have you found the same? I did not have too much trouble with most of her advice, but, she got herself a pretty good husband and I find the sort of pat answers to be possibly harsh from women whose husbands are just plain mean and irrational.

For instance, basically saying you just never withhold (her opinion of biblical relations), well, what if you are out the door taking your kids to church that he never attends and he decides he wants to see you right now? (Obviously a stab at your church participation, and awfully awkward to boot) Can you say "no?" Can you say "later?" What do you say to the kids? A real life example I was made aware of, and the advice doesn't address this sort of arbitrary and ugly behavior.

Hmm, I am not that far into it, actually. Maybe ch. 3? She's just establishing things right now. I will keep in mind those thoughts. That's a rough one. Yeesh. I think I'm going to have to read further into it tonight (or the next couple nights) and return with a better understanding of the book from my perspective. But I do appreciate the thoughts. This book was a gift to me at my bridal shower and the name caught my attention as a good read. :)

Currently reading

Revivals and Revivalism by Iain Murray
Volume 3 of God's Care and Continuance of His Church by Vreugdenhil
The Charlotte Mason Companion by Karen Andreola

Currently reading

Revivals and Revivalism by Iain Murray
Volume 3 of God's Care and Continuance of His Church by Vreugdenhil
The Charlotte Mason Companion by Karen Andreola

I have too many irons in the fire...

John Calvin, Sermons on Job
Herbert Hoover, Freedom Betrayed: Herbert Hoover's Secret History of the Second World War and its Aftermath
Herodotus, The Landmark Herodotus: The Histories
Charles Dickens, Bleak House
Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Pretended Liberty of Conscience and The Covenant of Life Opened, by Samuel Rutherford (re-read, originally a couple of decades ago)
Aaron's Rod, George Gillespie (also a re-read)
Plus a number of things for research and study purposes

COVENANT, JUSTIFICATION, AND PASTORAL MINISTRY: Essays by the Faculty of Westminster Seminary California Edited by: R. Scott Clark

Parenting by God's Promises by: Joel Beeke

Galatians by: Apostle Paul

There's a Wocket in my Pocket by: Dr Seuss (to my son)

I am reading

Tom Sawyer with my son (aged 10)

Pride and Prejudice with my daughter (aged 12)

The Politically Incorrect Guide to Capitalism

The Federalist Papers

John 20 (with commentary by FF Bruce)

(There are a couple of others that are "out to be read" but I would be lying if I said I had read them recently)

I often wonder what the Puritans would have read. From what I have read they were very widely read and read secular "classics" extensively. They did however refuse to acknowledge this background reading in their sermons. I think I would like to see that practice returning. So let me know what you are reading this week as a little snapshot of what we are all reading.

The PIG Guides are great reading and I've listened to or read most of them.

:up:

I've been reading a lot of A. W. Pink lately, Gill...always reading John Gill.

Cougar's Crossing, an excellent history of a family that settled north of Edmonton.
The Lost Colony of Roanoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back