What are you reading?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you have his commentary on the Westminster Larger Catechism? I would definitely get it, but currently I cannot afford it.

No, I don't have it yet. My pastor recently purchased all four volumes when we went to see Dr. Morecraft speak at the Greenville Seminary Theology Conference. I told my pastor that he was causing a brother to stumble (I was coveting the commentaries). I did have Dr. Morecraft sign my copy of "How God Wants Us to Worship Him" and also "With Liberty and Justice for All."

I see... :( I asked that in the hope that you would have one extra copy of his commentary, since you're a Joe-freak! :lol: (Just take that as a compliment.) Anyways, any good sermons (by Joe) you would like to recommend?

Anyways, any good sermons (by Joe) you would like to recommend?

The series on Biblical Law based on the Larger Catechism is very good. Also, the series on the Crisis Christians Face Today is excellent. Just do a search on Sermon Audio for them.

The Darkness and the Glory, Greg Harris( great book but it is HARD for me! Whew)
Exposition of Hebrews, A.W. Pink
Dr. Horner's Bible Reading Plan

I would love to have a room with a recliner chair in the center and a circular desk surrounding the chair, on wheels of course!

The Marrow Controversy and Seceder Tradition: Marrow Theology in the Associate Presbyerty and Associate Synod Secession Churches of Scotland (1733-1799) by VanDoodewaard.

That's a mouthful.

I sat down the other night and read through the complete thesis, over 200 pages, I can only hope it will be published soon. For the life of me...how did Marrow theology get such a foothold in Reformed churches? We see the same thing take place with Andrew Fuller and the Baptists and a similar situation with Spurgeon and the Downgrade Controversy. It just keeps happening over and over again, SEMPAR REFORMANDA!

If it does get published I'll try to post a link on the board for others to view.

Before that was "What He Must Be (if he wants to marry my daughter) by Voddie Baucham Jr.

How was that? I read his Family Driven Faith and was utterly unimpressed. I only finished out of the sheer pride issue of wanting to be honest when I said "I read the whole book." Is the book you read good?

In my humble opinion he made many good points, but took the long way around the block getting to some of them. The main thrust I came away with is that the "modern Church" is compromised with worldly ideas about courtship/marriage and raising a family and needs to do some weeding (reformation).

I just bought From Here to Eternity by James Jones and The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoyevsky.

Currently reading -
The Brothers Karamazov - Dostoyevsky
Systematic Theology - Rushdoony
The One And The Many - Rushdoony
Grace: God's Unmerited Favor - Spurgeon
The Sovereign God - Boice

The Golden Sceptre, by John Preston [SDG, 1990]

248 pp. on II Chronicle 7:14, in good Puritan fashion. Great stuff !!

The Marrow Controversy and Seceder Tradition: Marrow Theology in the Associate Presbyerty and Associate Synod Secession Churches of Scotland (1733-1799) by VanDoodewaard.

That's a mouthful.

I sat down the other night and read through the complete thesis, over 200 pages, I can only hope it will be published soon. For the life of me...how did Marrow theology get such a foothold in Reformed churches? We see the same thing take place with Andrew Fuller and the Baptists and a similar situation with Spurgeon and the Downgrade Controversy. It just keeps happening over and over again, SEMPAR REFORMANDA!

Huh? Can you explain a bit here what you mean by the question? (i.e. "how did the Marrow theology get such a foothold"?)

The Christian Faith - A Systematic Theology by Michael Horton

Election and Free Will by Robert Peterson

---------- Post added at 10:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:08 PM ----------

I love the Tabletalk each morning!

I'm finishing up the second volume of the 2-volume set of Pliny the Younger's letters in the Loeb Classical Library series. Very interesting insights about how Roman government worked (in his letters to Trajan) and about Pliny personally throughout. Pliny's famous letter asking Trajan about how to deal with Christians is in volume 2 (as is Trajan's reply). Translated from the Latin by Betty Radice (1912-1985) and published in 1969.

I am reading Danny Hyde's newest, Planting, Watering, Growing: Planting Confessional Churches in the 21st c.

and I am reading East of Eden by John Steinbeck.

They are quite different.

Darryl Hart’s “A Secular Faith”
Sproul's "Holiness of God" (3rd time)
Tripp's "Age of Opportunity" - GREAT encouragement and thinking material for raising my [-]monsters [/-]teens
Herodotus' Histories
Proverbs

And they're going very slowly due to time constraints but all are worthwhile.

1) Michael Horton's The Gospel Commission, the sequel to Christless Christianityand The Gospel Driven Life.

2) Son of Hamas by Mosab Hassan Yousef

Half way through my third Clark book in a week (now Religion, Reason, and Revelation).

Part way through Rob Bell's book on hell (or not to hell or ?).

Most of the way through God's Secretaries (on the history of the KJV).

Itching to get into Horton's Christian Faith.

Do you have his commentary on the Westminster Larger Catechism? I would definitely get it, but currently I cannot afford it.

No, I don't have it yet. My pastor recently purchased all four volumes when we went to see Dr. Morecraft speak at the Greenville Seminary Theology Conference. I told my pastor that he was causing a brother to stumble (I was coveting the commentaries). I did have Dr. Morecraft sign my copy of "How God Wants Us to Worship Him" and also "With Liberty and Justice for All."

When I got mine, they included a CD with the whole five volumes (4,674 pgs) in PDF format. Do they have a provision for selling the PDF only, separate from the hardbacks (which are currently running $200)? That would certainly save money if they packaged it that way.

Now you have to bear in mind that I have several books on the go at the same time. I have also just been to Dicksons Bookshop where I found little of what I had listed but came away with a lot of other stuff.
Just finished Puritan Experiments in Economics, which leapfrogged the other books (reviewed on PuritanBoard) and am now continuing with
What is Biblical Preaching? by Eric Alexander my old minister. It is a booklet rather than a book so 1/3rd of the way through.
From the Garden of Eden to the Glory of Heaven by J. R. Williamson (recommended by a series of sermons from audiosermon)
Why Johnny Cant Sing Hymns - T. David Gordon, I enjoyed the first book and fear this one will articulate many of my gut feelings.
Human Nature in it's Fourfold State - Thomas Boston (I don't anticipate reading it any time soon but I anticipate it will be a useful antidote to secular pshchology)
The Grand Strategy of the Roman Empire - from the first century AD to the third E. N. Luttwak - I found this interesting background reading to the N.T. I have read about half and will return it shortly (without having read the rest) .
Socrates Meets Jesus - Peter Kreeft This was an impulse purchase which I picked up and put down several times. It sees Socrates at a Divinity Faculty, 2/3rds of the way through I will try and review it when I finish.
The Messianic Nature of American Education - Rushdoony. About half way through - more of a historical overview than I had anticipated.
The Cloning of the American Mind: Eradicating Morality Through Education. Interesting but informative without a strong narrative (?)
(Oh and Tom Sawyer on the Kindle with my kids)

I think we should be doing a lot more reading background material to the Bible. I have been amazed to read of the Greek influence on Israel following up leads from my study of Daniel.

A Call to Spiritual Reformation- DA Carson
Apologetics for the Glory of God- John Frame

And reading through Westminster Larger Catechism

Before that was "What He Must Be (if he wants to marry my daughter) by Voddie Baucham Jr.

Just bought this recently, but haven't read it yet. We homeschool and have 3 daughters and just recently was introduced to Voddie by our neighbors. Heard him preach on this topic and looking forward to what else he has to say in the book. :)

---------- Post added at 12:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:06 PM ----------

Also, currently reading "Step by Step" by James C. Petty.

I'm reading According to Promise by CH Spurgeon. My first 'Reformed' book. Also reading Defending Your Faith by RC Sproul.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back