What are you reading?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lately I've been bringing a small black leather copy of the Book of Common Prayer (1959/62 Canadian edition, a Cambridge University Press/Anglican Book Centre co-production) with me pretty much everywhere I go. It's a great book to dip into on the train, subway, while waiting in line for things. Scripture readings galore (the BCP is something like 80% Scripture), including the Psalter; the ancient Creeds; the Articles of Religion; prayers...

Aside from this, I'm reading:

Vol. 1 of William Cunningham's Historical Theology (Banner of Truth Trust)

&

The University of Toronto: A History by Martin Friedland (University of Toronto Press, 2002) -- a graduation gift to myself.

I have been reading a lot of Spurgeon and I am currently reading....

I am currently reading "All of Grace" by Charles H. Spurgeon

I like Spurgeon and his views...and I believe one of the best ways to understand Protestantism is to read the great writers of the past and I admire Spurgeon very much..I also want to learn more about Justification and predestination..I also concur completely with his views on Roman catholicism and the papacy and the pope....I admire his very vocal outspoken views of the Romanists...and the Roman catholic church.

"If I were a Roman Catholic, I should turn a heretic, in sheer desperation, because I would rather go to heaven than go to purgatory."
- Charles Spurgeon

Last edited:
I have been Religious Affections by Edwards and Out of the Silent Planet by CS Lewis. I just picked up The Mystery of the Holy Spirit by RC Sproul today and started reading it.

I'm reading again in The Quest for Godliness by J.I. Packer about the Puritans and their influence. It is a great book and I benefit each time I read it.

I am currently reading

RC Sproul's Commentary on the Gospel of John
Institute of The Christian Religion
ISAIAH!

Suffering and the Sovereignty of God, John Piper and Justin Taylor, General Editors (Crossway)

I'm listening to Cornwell's Rebel. :up:

good call. I read that entire series a year or so ago. Very good.:)

---------- Post added at 02:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:27 PM ----------

All of Grace by C.H. Spurgeon

What is Reformed Theology by R.C. Sproul

And just started Book 1 of the Settling Accounts series by Harry Turtledove (its really book 8 of 11).

Respectable Sins by Jerry Bridges
Institutes of the Christian Religion by John Calvin
Fatherland by Robert Harris

What are your thoughts on the Metzger? I need to read that for class in a month or so.

Personally I find him to be very precise in his writing, yet he doesn't write in such a way that you would need previous education in New Testament studies to understand what he is saying. I think he is a very good author, and a very good scholar.

The Roman Catholic Controversy: Catholics and Protestants- Do the Differences Still Matter? by James R. White
1 Samuel

about to start reading some moral philosophy books for class

but I am reading
Naturalism Defeated? by Plantinga and others
Freedom Evolves by Dennet
Origin of Species by Darwin
and really excited to start reading World without Design: The Ontological Consequences of Naturalism by michael rea

I am the the gospel of Luke with reading new testament use of the old

DMcFadden;

Read two Gordon Clark philosophy books this week

Which books?

I may look into them for the Philosophy Class I'm taking--

In answer to the Original Post.. I'm reading About Philosophy (Intro to Philosophy class)

and just for fun reading...The Best of the Worlds Classics (Henry Cabot-Lodge) Volume II--Rome

Nonfiction: The Bondage of the Will by Luther

Fiction: Dune

And writing my own works, of course.

All Hallow's Eve - Charles Williams
Beauty for Truth's Sake - Caldecott
The Beauty of the Infinite: The Aesthetics of Christian Truth - David Bentley Hart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back