What are you reading?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Portable Grindhouse: The Lost Art of the VHS Box, Vol. 1 (Jacques Boyreau, Ed.; Fantagraphics Books). [A bit of an impulse buy/guilty pleasure/trip-down-memory-lane for me, having spent my youth in video stores during the heyday of the VHS tape.]

The Early Church by Henry Chadwick (revised edition; Penguin Books). [Dr. Michael A.G. Haykin's recent Rediscovering the Church Fathers: Who They Were and How They Shaped the Church convinced me that I really needed to read this.]

Key Thinkers in Christianity (Adrian Hastings, Alistair Mason, and Hugh Pyper, Eds; Oxford University Press). [I really need to just break down and purchase The Oxford Dictionary of the Christian Church. This, like another little paperback I own, Christian Thought: A Brief History, is basically just material recycled from that massive reference work. Come to think of it, I also own The Concise Oxford Dictionary of the Christian Church...]

Last edited:
Tortured for Christ - Richard Wurmbrand (2nd time)

Just finished reading this book. As a Romanian, I grew up hearing a lot of what the communists did to Christians in Romania, but Tortured for Christ is excellent for Westerners. Wurmbrand provides some graphic descriptions of the tortures that the prisoners had to go through, enough to make the reader realize how different conditions were in the East while Christians in the West were enjoying a time of peace. Also, Wurmbrand touches on the fact that church life was very difficult under the communist regime. Many pastors had to sell out their church members. The Underground Church was very important during this time. The book is a short read and I would recommend to anyone interested.

---------- Post added at 10:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 PM ----------

This is a bit off topic but related to my post above and would like to share. Here is a video (Prisoners of the Light - Promo Clip on Vimeo) about some of the torture that took place. The images come from real prisons that existed under the communist regime in Romania. A dear brother of mine Ioan Seiceanu (the man at the beginning), Richard Wurmbrand (at the end), and Nicolae Moldoveanu are in the video.

Now reading:

A Personal Odyssey by Thomas Sowell (New York: The Free Press, 2000) - his autobiography

and am looking forward to reading

From the Finger of God: The Biblical and Theological Basis for the Threefold Division of the Law by Philip S. Ross (Fearn: Christian Focus, 2011) - a defense (against recent attacks) of the traditional three-fold division (moral, ceremonial, civil) of the Law of God.

"The Sinfulness of Sin" by Ralph Venning

"Withhold Not Correction" by Bruce Ray

"The Potter's Freedom" by James White

1st chronicles
Pillars of Grace by Steve Lawson
A case for Amillennialism by Kim Riddlebarger

Sent from my iphone

I've read so many theological works and so as of about 2 weeks ago I'm taking a 3-month break from more theological stuff. I'm reading 1776, and I'm going to follow it with John Adams. Then I'm going to do some reading on the Civil War.

I've read so many theological works and so as of about 2 weeks ago I'm taking a 3-month break from more theological stuff. I'm reading 1776, and I'm going to follow it with John Adams. Then I'm going to do some reading on the Civil War.

I did that last year and don't regret it. David McCoullough's books are enjoyable and Civil War history is one of my favorites.

Genesis
Genesis Commentaries by Longman, Waltke, Word Biblical Commentary, NIV Application, and New International Commentary
Old Testament Theology by Bruce Waltke
Evangelical Theological Society papers on Justification
Following Jesus by Wright
The Reason for God by Keller

I need to calm down a little bit I think.

Satan Cast Out: A Study in Biblical Demonology

I'm reading this by recommendation of a friend, as soon as it comes in.

Finished some of the earlier ones. Now reading:

Taking Hold of God: Reformed and Puritan Perspectives on Prayer- Joel Beeke & Brian Najapfour (Great book so far!)
The Law of God- William Plumer (Great also!)
Disputations on Holy Scripture- William Whitaker (It's great too!)

And next on my reading table, The Westminster Confession of Faith and the Cessation of Special Revelation- Garnet Milne

During my lunch hours I'm reading Communion with the Triune God by Owen. This...this, I'm really enjoying.

jm

Satan Cast Out: A Study in Biblical Demonology

I'm reading this by recommendation of a friend, as soon as it comes in.

Sounds interesting. Let us know how it goes.

OK, it starts off with what I considered a good review. However, about 90 pages in it gets very interesting. I ended up putting several post-it notes on pages for quick future reference & for what I'm sure will become some dinner table conversation with my friend, who is also an elder in our congregation. For $7, its a keeper. There were several other used copies available for that price including S&H. New ones are from Banner of Truth UK & US. BTW Author: Frederick S Leahy. BTW, a dictionary should be kept with it if you have a publik skool edjakayshun like me.

Desiring God by Piper
A collection of books by Owen
abridged Institutes by Calvin

I also have for fiction: Brothers Karamazov, From Here to Eternity, and a C.S. Lewis book.

Tempted and Tried by Russell Moore
Calvin: A heart for Devotion, Doctrine, and Doxology
Affirming the Apostles Creed by JI Packer

Treaty of the Great King - Meredith Kline
The Structure of Biblical authority - Meredith Kline
Ancient Orient and the Old Testament - Kenneth Kitchen
Deuteronomy and the Deutronomic School - Moshe Weinfeld
Deuteronomy (Anchor Bibble Commentary) - Moshe Weinfeld
Deuteronomy and Tradition - E. W. Nicholson
Kinship By Covenant - Scott Hahn
Sealed With an Oath - Paul Williamson

Just finished 1453, a secular book about the fall of Constantinople and some history about the ongoing animosity between Christianity and Islam.

Isaiah and Psalms
"The Young Man's Friend and Guide Through Life to Immortality" by John Angell James

Mark
King's Cross-Keller
A Praying Life-Paul Miller

And for fiction, Gilead-Marilynne Robinson

2 Samuel
Jonathan Edwards on Revival
.....next...... The Whiskey Rebellion by William Hogeland

I don't understand you guys (and girls) that read 5 or 6 books at one time. I give you credit for keeping it all straight!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back