What are you reading?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Theoretically I will be reading:
A Realist Conception of Truth by William Alston (It's a library book so we'll see if I have the discipline to finish it up)
Four Views on Divine Providence
Paul Helm's blog (this counts as a book for me. I'm not as disciplined or as smart as you guys)
I have twenty five dollars to spend on a book/books. I am also tempted to put the money towards a bottle of Laphroaig. I have no doubt about making good use of the Scotch but I do have my doubts about books. I have started many "great" books and have finished very few of them. I think Longing To Know by Esther Meek and Political Visions and Illusions by David Koyzis were only two last year. I'm open to taking suggestions. So far most of the people I've asked recommend Bavinck but I'm scared to drop that much on something. I am thinking of a good one volume systematic theology. Any suggestions?

A Treatise on Earthly Mindedness, Burroughs

I am also reading a series by a liberal, Quaker pastor, Philip Gulley, called the Harmony series. Currently reading: Signs and Wonders, the third in the series. They are hilarious (remind me of the people I have pastored; so, for all you pastors, read these and you'll recognize some congregants.)

Acts-Romans (night) Psalms (morning)
"A New Systematic Theology of the Christian Faith" by Robert Reymond:banana:
"Overcoming Sin and Temptation" by John Owen (Justin Taylor)
God and Evil by Gordon Clark

The Valley of Vision Puritan Prayers
Morning and Evening Devotions Spurgeon
By What Standard Rushdoony
Homemaking Rev J.R. Miller
WCF/1689 Baptist Confession (Slowly dissecting...)
The Unaborted Socrates Kreeft

That is not counting what I am reading in the Scriptures, of course. :)

1689 London Baptist Confession (slowly digesting)
Psalm (10 chapters/day for the next year)
Proverbs (10 chapters/day for the next year)
Ephesians (Entire book/day for the next year)
Bavinck's Reformed Dogmatics (Volume 1) - Just started this one

Going to start Ryle's "Holiness" fairly soon.

Currently reading:

The Exemplary Husband by: Stuart Scott

Same! Doing this as private enrichment. Reading the Quran for apologetic/evangelistic purposes. Finishing up Christopher Hill's treatment of Cromwell, "God's Englishman" (recommend with a caveat!), and though I've been long finished with the early life and his military campaigns, have picked back up (in order to polish off postwar life and death) the abridgement of DS Freeman's, "Lee" (recommend if you don't have time for the unabridged!) For our OPC Bible study (pursuing a church plant) our group is reading "The Enduring Community," a book on the church written by a couple RUF guys. Each week as a family, we read through the original Westminster Confession of Faith or listen to it on Librivox.

Last edited:
WCF - studying through it with my wife
Vos - Biblical Theology (90 pages in!)
Goldsworthy - According to Plan (in parallel with Vos)

Just finished:
God at Work: Your Christian Vocation in All of Life by Veith (a Lutheran Theologian If I recall correctly). Highly recommended.

About to start:
Word, Water and Spirit - A Reformed Perspective on Baptism by J.V Fesko (arriving tomorrow!)
A theology of the Holy Spirit: The Pentecostal experience and the New Testament witness: Bruner

2 Samuel
Jonathan Edwards on Revival
.....next...... The Whiskey Rebellion by William Hogeland

I don't understand you guys (and girls) that read 5 or 6 books at one time. I give you credit for keeping it all straight!
NO! Don't encourage us! It is a disorder, not a gift! I count it as one of my biggest flaws :)

2 Samuel
Jonathan Edwards on Revival
.....next...... The Whiskey Rebellion by William Hogeland

I don't understand you guys (and girls) that read 5 or 6 books at one time. I give you credit for keeping it all straight!
NO! Don't encourage us! It is a disorder, not a gift! I count it as one of my biggest flaws :)

:ditto: It makes for slower reading. I keep saying I'm going to stick to one book... but there seems to be too many books to read all the time!

Charles Hodge on 1 & 2 Corinthians (Banner) & Three Short Novels: Heart of Darkness, Youth, Typhoon by Joseph Conrad (Bantam).

Just finished Reason for God by Tim Keller. Going to start some Keirkegaard tomorrow. Reading the Scripture with Heart and Mind by Tremper Longman. John Calvin: A Heart for Devotion Doctrine, and Doxology (I think I got the order right) as well.

Just finished reading Sermon's on the Beatitudes by John Calvin THIS IS A MUST READ

I am going to start reading Calvins Sermon's on Ephesians (already read 7 from Ephesians and one from Genesis) and Genesis

Hopefully I can read one sermon from each a day.

Just finished Piper's TULIP study with my wife. I expected a better product.

Now reading Metaxes biography of Boenhoeffer for a book review I have been asked to do for the Women's community outreach lunch.

Just picked up a copy of the Complete Father Brown Mysteries, should be interesting.

I looked around, and couldn't find any threads like this, so I'm sorry if I possibly missed a thread that already exists...and sorry also if this isn't in a correct area of the board.

I'm currently reading Temptation: Resisted & Repulsed, by John Owen.
IM presently reading, "John Calvin, Father of Reformed theology."

It's a bio.

Something light and interesting. Very enjoyable.

I just started reading "Truths We Confess: Volume 1 by: R.C. Sproul" - I am also studying the original WCF very closely. I am always looking to understand and grow stronger in our Reformed Faith, I am becoming a more Knowledgeable Protestant on here and in my readings and in Bible class and in my Presbyterian church each Sunday, I praise God for my election the Reformed Protestant fold and I am happy that I am a Presbyterian and a Protestant!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back