What Are You Reading?

Status
Not open for further replies.

panicbird

Puritan Board Freshman
I know that we have some voracious readers here. What is everybody reading right now? Well, not [i:a3d95233ab]right now[/i:a3d95233ab], as everyone who reads this is reading this post right now. You know what I mean. :biggrin:

I plan on beginning Reymond's [i:a3d95233ab]New Systematic Theology[/i:a3d95233ab] this week. I would like to read through all my systematics this summer. Reymond will be my starting point.

Lon

Calvin's Institutes (Tony Lane edition)
rereading The Call by Os Guiness
Next in line: GI Williamson's WCF & John Owen on the Christian Life by Sinclair Ferguson
Then I'd like to tackle the Works of John Owen Vol 1

[Edited on 4-25-2004 by dkicklig]

Are you SURE you want to reread Os Guiness before you do Williamson's WCF? I haven't bought a book in over a year. I'd like to get something new and fresh. I never tire of my old Pink, Packer, and Sproul, but I don't have any new colors to highlight them with. I'd like to color up some fresh pages. And I don't need anything real deep. I have small children around a lot, and no long stretches of time to think deeply. Help?:puzzled:

Bee

Introduction To theology by J.C. Wenger and I love it so far although I have just started.

Yes, yes, let the stoning begin :biggrin:

Bryan
SDG

I'm reading the "Institutes" and and just finished B.B. Warfield on "Calvin and Calvinism." This is going to be an Augustinian summer for me: reading Augstine all summer [i:436992a27e]and[/i:436992a27e] going to St. Augustine on vacation!

Oh, and some Van Til before I begin taking philosophy classes next semester.

Rembrandt

[quote:6141f07ed6][i:6141f07ed6]Originally posted by mjbee[/i:6141f07ed6]
Are you SURE you want to reread Os Guiness before you do Williamson's WCF? I haven't bought a book in over a year. I'd like to get something new and fresh. I never tire of my old Pink, Packer, and Sproul, but I don't have any new colors to highlight them with. I'd like to color up some fresh pages. And I don't need anything real deep. I have small children around a lot, and no long stretches of time to think deeply. Help?:puzzled:

Bee [/quote:6141f07ed6]

It's more like speed rereading Guiness because he has some good ideas around this thing we call "The Call". I'm alos going to be branching off and delving into some Puritan writings on the issue as well.

It sounds like you may need to use the Suzanna Wesley approach, sit in the corner and pull your apron over your head. But if your kids are like mine....good luck

Hannah (5) :broccoli: Ethan (2) :boldblue:
Jonah (1mth) :bigcry:

Hannah & Ethan from 7am-7pm :poke::dueling:

Pull my apron over my head? What is an apron? I might need one of those. I get grease all over my t-shirts when I cook.

Israel and the Nations by F.F. Bruce
Introducing the Old Testament by Clyde T. Francisco
The American Puritans (Their prose and poetry) by Perry Miller
Dabneys Systematic Theology
Various Luther sermons
and Shut up and Sing by Laura Ingrahm

"Confessions" - Augustine. Status: I'm slowly working through this. Some of Augustine's writing feels like a scholastic quagmire. It becomes so flowery, so superfuous that I can't maintain interest in it. Can't deny his intelligence, or his contributions to the faith though.

"Unceasing Worship" - Howard Best. Status: Intellectually energizing stuff. Best uses a lot of terminiology that requires me to slow down and mull over the concepts describe. Best is seemingly setting up a theology of worship. Looking forward to understanding this one.

"Pilgrim's Progress" - John Bunyan. Status: I'm a little daunted by the prospect of finishing the second half, I wonder how different it could be from the first? We'll see.

"A Call to Spiritual Reformation" - Donald Carson. Status: This is very convicting stuff. Carson sets out to examine Paul's prayers and the priorities revealed in the process. This is really helping me to nurture a love for the Church particularly the local church that I am a member of.

[i:cdfc2a7a4b]A History of the Crusades, Volume 1: The First Crusade[/i:cdfc2a7a4b] - Sir Steven Runciman. Unfortunately I've put this on a hold of sorts.

[i:cdfc2a7a4b]Putting Amazing Back Into Grace[/i:cdfc2a7a4b] Michael S. Horton - I'm breezing through it, but I really enjoy the way he puts things and I'm trying to remember some of his statements for use with the non-Reformed.

[i:cdfc2a7a4b]Systematic Theology[/i:cdfc2a7a4b] Berkhof. I just got it in 2 minutes ago, the opening paragraph is solid, so I'm hoping the next hundreds are as well. From what everyone seems to say it is.

[i:cdfc2a7a4b]Genesis[/i:cdfc2a7a4b] - Moses

Mr. Pink and I are working our way through Hebrews.
Just finished Charity and it's fruits by Edwards. Anything by Edwards is always excellent. :lepr:

[quote:bc688aa94a][i:bc688aa94a]Originally posted by Ianterrell[/i:bc688aa94a]
"A Call to Spiritual Reformation" - Donald Carson. Status: This is very convicting stuff. Carson sets out to examine Paul's prayers and the priorities revealed in the process. This is really helping me to nurture a love for the Church particularly the local church that I am a member of. [/quote:bc688aa94a]

I read this book last year and thought it was excellent. You are right: it is very convicting.

Lon

I'm reading The Sword and Trowel, 2004 number 2. Yes folks, 2004. It started up again in the 70s. The past few issues have been coming with a free book. Yes, a free book. The latest is called 'Heritage of Evidence' and it is a full and detailed tour of Biblical Evidence in the British Museum - good for a tour but good to read at home too.

I'm translating the third book of Confessiones (Augustine) for my Latin classes.

[Edited on 4-28-2004 by Harrie]

Pilgrim's Regress by C.S. Lewis

Behavior Intervention for young children with autism, a manual- various authors

THe Girft of Prophecy by Wayne Grudem

Re-reading Kline's [i:a7f0f55057]Kingdom Prologue[/i:a7f0f55057] and Edward's (and Brainerd's) [i:a7f0f55057]The Life and Diary of David Brainerd[/i:a7f0f55057].

[Edited on 4/28/2004 by SharperSword]

[quote:3311b34d2f][i:3311b34d2f]Originally posted by Christopher[/i:3311b34d2f]

THe Girft of Prophecy by Wayne Grudem [/quote:3311b34d2f]

I recently read a pretty good critique of Grudem's views on Prophecy by Davi Farnell of Souheastern, I can send it to you if you would like to read it.

[quote:3972e092ce][i:3972e092ce]Originally posted by Irishcat922[/i:3972e092ce]
[quote:3972e092ce][i:3972e092ce]Originally posted by Christopher[/i:3972e092ce]

THe Girft of Prophecy by Wayne Grudem [/quote:3972e092ce]

I recently read a pretty good critique of Grudem's views on Prophecy by Davi Farnell of Souheastern, I can send it to you if you would like to read it. [/quote:3972e092ce]

Would love it! Thanks

[i:c1bdb162f3]When God Moves[/i:c1bdb162f3] by John H. Armstrong
[i:c1bdb162f3]Protestant Biblical Interpretation[/i:c1bdb162f3] by Bernard Ramm
[i:c1bdb162f3]The Master Plan of Evangelism[/i:c1bdb162f3] by Robert E. Coleman
[i:c1bdb162f3]Precious Remedies Against Satan's Devices[/i:c1bdb162f3] by Thomas Brooks (for the umpteenth time)
[i:c1bdb162f3]Too Busy Not to Pray [/i:c1bdb162f3] by Bill Hybels
[i:c1bdb162f3]Thoughts on Religious Experience[/i:c1bdb162f3] by Archibald Alexander (for the umpteenth time)
[i:c1bdb162f3]The Journals of John Wesley[/i:c1bdb162f3] by ?
[i:c1bdb162f3]Epistle of Ignatius to the Smyrnaeans[/i:c1bdb162f3]
[i:c1bdb162f3]Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire[/i:c1bdb162f3] by Gibbon
[i:c1bdb162f3]Institutes of the Christian Religion[/i:c1bdb162f3] by Jakob Arminius -- no,no, I mean John Calvin

[b:09e7bb8e71]sundoulos wrote:[/b:09e7bb8e71]
Institutes of the Christian Religion by Jakob Arminius -- no,no, I mean John Calvin

Just seeing if we're paying attention? :lol:

[Edited on 4-29-2004 by blhowes]

[quote:be2c7e672d][i:be2c7e672d]Originally posted by Irishcat922[/i:be2c7e672d]
[quote:be2c7e672d][i:be2c7e672d]Originally posted by Christopher[/i:be2c7e672d]

THe Girft of Prophecy by Wayne Grudem [/quote:be2c7e672d]

I recently read a pretty good critique of Grudem's views on Prophecy by Davi Farnell of Souheastern, I can send it to you if you would like to read it. [/quote:be2c7e672d]

Got the e-mail and the paper. I will read it after reading the book (at my present pace it may be a few weeks). I will let you know what I think then. Thanks!

Intro to Christianity by mcgrath

Sovereigty of God in Evangelism by JI Packer

Pilgrims in Their Own Land: 500 Years of Religion in America
by Authors: Martin E. Marty

Martin Luther's Basic Theological Writings
by Martin Luther, Timothy F. Lull (Editor)

The Two Towers by Tolkien

The Shifting Realities of Philip K. Dick: Selected Literary and Philosophical Writings
Nonfiction; edited by Lawrence Sutin. Published in 1995

House of Bush, House of Saud : The Secret Relationship Between the World's Two Most Powerful Dynasties by craig unger

John Calvin's Exegesis of the Old Testament (Columbia Series in Reformed Theology)
by David L. Puckett

The Genesis Wave Book One by John Vornholt

(Reformed Theology in America)
by David F. Wells (Editor)

The Calvinistic Concept of Culture
by Henry R. Van Til, Richard J. Mouw, Til Van

I think that about Does it more than two years ive been trying to finish add does that to you

:lol:

Blade

Chosen by God by RC Sproul. (AGAIN)

Honestly, I don't know how I can be so dumb about theology. I did very well in school (except for math & science, but I had traumatic experiences there) and never really studied that hard. Theology is just REALLY HARD for me. I read it, I get lost. I reread it, it starts to make a little sense. I reread it, I think I get it. But, if you were to quiz me, I would look at you like you were speaking a foreign language. It just doesn't stick! I think because it's intangible. I don't know. But it sure is frustrating! If I keep going at this rate, I'll have to live to be 132 in order to understand the basics. I must have :banghead: too many times.

Mary

I added to my reading list (actual open books) Horace Bushnells, "Christian Nurture".

Anyone else read this? I understand that it is one of the best on the topic of child rearing.

Just finished Oswald T Allis's book "Prophecy and the Church." :thumbup:

Started reading "Inspired Principles of Prophetic Interpretation" by John Wilmot. Anybody else read this book? Looks very good so far.

Reforming Pastoral Ministry

"Reforming Pastoral Ministry" by John H. Armstrong

Wonderful book! A must read! Armstrong is the editor; its one of those where different writers take a chapter; I like books like that a lot. (I sound like Andy Rooney)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back