What are you reading?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PuritanCovenanter

The Joyful Curmudgeon
Staff member
I am reading the 'Life and Letters of Robert Lewis Dabney' at this time. I was just wondering what some of you guys where reading. So, what are you guys reading right now?

BTW, if you have a copy if the Dabney book it is OOP. Not many on the market and they are going for around $100.00 and up. It is a great read so far. It is a good mesh of bio and letters.

That is a great book!

Introduction to Systematic Theology - Van Til
History of the PCA - Frank Smith
Celebrating the Sabbath - Bruce Ray
Let the Reader Understand: Guide to Interpreting and Applying the Bible - Dan McCartney

Holiness- J.C. Ryle
Overcoming the World- Joel Beeke
Understanding Dispensationalists- Vern Poythress
City of God- Augustine

The Reformation: A History - Diarmaid MacCulloch

The Puritan Family: Religion and Domestic Relations in Seventeenth-Century New England - Edmund S. Morgan

Birth Of The Church: From Jesus to Constantine, 30-312 - Ivor J. Davidson

Mourt's Relation: A Journal of the Pilgrim's at Plymouth

[Edited on 10-6-2005 by Plimoth Thom]

"The Pastor's Manual" by various authors (SDG Books)
"Sermons of Solomon Stoddard" by Stoddard
A Variety of Commentaries on Genesis for study

Originally posted by puritancovenanter
I am reading the 'Life and Letters of Robert Lewis Dabney' at this time. I was just wondering what some of you guys where reading. So, what are you guys reading right now?

BTW, if you have a copy if the Dabney book it is OOP. Not many on the market and they are going for around $100.00 and up. It is a great read so far. It is a good mesh of bio and letters.

RTS had that in the book store for thirty dollars last year. I failed to pick it up then. Sigh. Why doesn't Banner of Truth sell the copyright to Sprinkle Publications? Honestly, I bet this book would really sell among many Presbyterians and reformed Baptists. This goes for the Thornwell biography as well.

:banghead:

As to what I am reading:

Let me get back to you on that.

hit "reply"
go the globe looking thingey
click on that
insert the name of the book (or whatever you want to call it; assuming that you have already copied the link from amazon)
and then paste the link of hte book into the next line that pops up.

Originally posted by Draught Horse
hit "reply"
go the globe looking thingey
click on that
insert the name of the book (or whatever you want to call it; assuming that you have already copied the link from amazon)
and then paste the link of hte book into the next line that pops up.

Thanks. I never noticed that before.

[Edited on 10-6-2005 by poimen]

Theology of the New Testament by GE Ladd
The Temple and the Church's Mission, by GK Beale
Salvation and Godly Rule by RJ Rushdoony
The Messianic Character of American Education by RJ Rushdoony

No need to worry about copyright; some one just needs to pick up an original (I'm sure Sprinkle already has one of those) like the clean but perfect copy to sacrifice here and reprint it.

RTS had that in the book store for thirty dollars last year. I failed to pick it up then. Sigh. Why doesn't Banner of Truth sell the copyright to Sprinkle Publications? Honestly, I bet this book would really sell among many Presbyterians and reformed Baptists. This goes for the Thornwell biography as well.

As to what I am reading:

(re)reading "A Simple Overview of Covenant Theology" (McMahon)

- Van Til's Apologetic (Bahnsen)
- Living Biblical Hebrew (the Hebrew course by Dr. Randall Buth)
- Calvin's Institutes
- The Westminster Standards
- Various sections (mainly restudy) in The Death of Death in the Death of Christ

[Edited on 10-7-2005 by BrianBowman]

The Lord's Day by Joseph Pipa

In Defense of the Decalogue
A Critique of New Covenant Theology by Richard Barcellos

Biblical Teaching on the Doctrines of Heaven & Hell - Edward Donnelly

A Crash Course on the New Age Movement - Elliot Miller

Originally posted by NaphtaliPress
No need to worry about copyright; some one just needs to pick up an original (I'm sure Sprinkle already has one of those) like the clean but perfect copy to sacrifice here and reprint it.

As to what I am reading:

That sounds too easy. Why hasn't anybody done that? I have listened to Reverend Sprinkle on this matter (binding old books) and wondering why no one has done it.

That sounds too easy. Why hasn't anybody done that? I have listened to Reverend Sprinkle on this matter (binding old books) and wondering why no one has done it.

Of course there are some capital risks given the Banner reprint. The BOT is a rather nice reprint and so if some one does one that is not as good it will take some criticism in comparison and also be open to risk if Banner reprints theirs, which could hurt sales. Clearing up Banner's long term plans for the title would be necessary to judge taking on such a venture. My guess would be you would be looking at a 5 to 10 thousand dollar cash layout to do a new printing. Also, the title may not be a fast seller, even if it sells consistently so you may be looking at quite some time to get your money back out, not to speak of the possibility of any actual profit.

Of course there are some capital risks given the Banner reprint. The BOT is a rather nice reprint and so if some one does one that is not as good it will take some criticism in comparison and also be open to risk if Banner reprints theirs, which could hurt sales. Clearing up Banner's long term plans for the title would be necessary to judge taking on such a venture. My guess would be you would be looking at a 5 to 10 thousand dollar cash layout to do a new printing. Also, the title may not be a fast seller, even if it sells consistently so you may be looking at quite some time to get your money back out, not to speak of the possibility of any actual profit.

What about scanning it in to a searchable .pdf file and distributing it freely from the Banner Edition. Is that allowable?

I would imagine that there is also a calculus that comes in every time as to whether the bio would better serve the Church, or another book.

The EPP is working directly with Lloyd Sprinkle to make available a number of his publications electronically.

The following are Dabney's works currently available on EPP CD v.2:

Christ Our Penal Substitute
Dabney's Discussions, Vol. 1 of 5
Memorial of John T. Thornton
Memorial of Dr. Francis Sampson
Questions on Old Testament History
Review of Theodosia Ernest
Five Points of Calvinism

[Edited on 10-7-2005 by VirginiaHuguenot]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back