What are you reading?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by crhoades
What about scanning it in to a searchable .pdf file and distributing it freely from the Banner Edition. Is that allowable?
If it is a straight photoreprint I don't see why not. It would be a lot of work to make a good text though. And, if it matters to anyone, I doubt anyone would ever do another physical printing once the text is free.

Originally posted by fredtgreco
I would imagine that there is also a calculus that comes in every time as to whether the bio would better serve the Church, or another book.
True enough. Sometimes it is a tough call. The best selling book I have done to date was also the most expensive as far as capital outlay, work (much work on and off over a decade) and retail price. That was Durham's Sermons on Isaiah 53. The worst selling to date has been the edition of Dabney's Sensualistic Philosophy. So I wouldn't want to touch the biography project.;)

Oh yeah, I am also reading Jus Div. And this reading from the computer is not true reading. It is adulterated because you can't underline or make notes in the margins with a writing utensil. Nothing like a good book, front porch, cup of strong coffee, and a bowl full in the morning to get your juices flowing in the correct direction.

Anyone read the new bio on Dabney pictured in my avatar? It is going to be on my wish list. I bet there isn't a big rush by the publishing companies to reprint the old one since they probably want to promote the new one and expect the new one to sale better.

Originally posted by puritancovenanter
Anyone read the new bio on Dabney pictured in my avatar? It is going to be on my wish list. I bet there isn't a big rush by the publishing companies to reprint the old one since they probably want to promote the new one and expect the new one to sale better.
I haven't seen it; but hopefully have lined up a review of it for The Confessional Presbyterian, 2006 issue.

Oh yeah, I am also reading Jus Div. And this reading from the computer is not true reading. It is adulterated because you can't underline or make notes in the margins with a writing utensil. Nothing like a good book, front porch, cup of strong coffee, and a bowl full in the morning to get your juices flowing in the correct direction.

Isn't that the truth. My eyes cannot stand reading on the computer for very long. I bought all the print volumes of John Owen after trying to read the cheap pdf version for more than 30 minutes.

BTW I agree on the book, coffee, and bowl full. Mine usually is full of oatmeal.:lol:

Vic

I haven't read it, but I'm interested in the new series it's part of: "American Reformed Biographies" from P&R Publishing. Apparently the next installment in the series is John Williamson Nevin: High Church Calvinist by D.G. Hart.

I don't want to let you down but the reviews I have seen of it....The author comes close to calling Dabney a coward, shirking military duties, and it gets worse from there. Obviously, I would disagree with the author.

Chris is this a one issue a year publication? It looks like I will be subscribing but I also want issue one.
Yes; one a year. More would kill me I am certain.;) The first issue is very good if I do say so myself and I only hope we can follow up with as good an issue in 2006. We are starting to get seminary library subscriptions now which is encouraging. Westminster E/W, Princeton, Covenant, RPTS, Southern Baptist, Masters Seminary, even Bob Jones.

Originally posted by Draught Horse

I don't want to let you down but the reviews I have seen of it....The author comes close to calling Dabney a coward, shirking military duties, and it gets worse from there. Obviously, I would disagree with the author.
While I don't think a biographer needs to give Dabney the light treatment (eg gloss over his racial views), it sounds like the TC Johnson may be around for a while yet (ie not getting displaced anytime soon).

Originally posted by NaphtaliPress

While I don't think a biographer needs to give Dabney the light treatment (eg gloss over his racial views), it sounds like the TC Johnson may be around for a while yet (ie not getting displaced anytime soon).

I don't think he is merely glossing over Dabney's racial views. He is extending his attack to Dabney's character. Calling him a belligerent theologian, cowardly chaplain who dodged duty in the army, etc. No, I don't have the sources withe me but Chris Rhoades can vouch for me. We both heard the charges read at Morecraft's church when Morecraft was "scorning" the bio.

Originally posted by NaphtaliPress

I don't think he is merely glossing over Dabney's racial views. He is extending his attack to Dabney's character. Calling him a belligerent theologian, cowardly chaplain who dodged duty in the army, etc. No, I don't have the sources withe me but Chris Rhoades can vouch for me. We both heard the charges read at Morecraft's church when Morecraft was "scorning" the bio.
Well, I will certainly be interested in seeing what my review[er] says!

[Edited on 10-8-2005 by NaphtaliPress]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back