What are your favourite westerns?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jambo

Puritan Board Senior
Yesterday I had a day off and as per usual my wife gave me a list of jobs to do about the house. In mid morning I sat down with a cup of coffee just as 3.10 to Yuma was starting (The Glen Ford/Van Heflin version). I had never seen this one before and thought I would watch for a few minutes whilst drinking coffee before starting on the list the wife left me. I was so gripped by the movie I had to watch it all (its funny the way black and white movies can do that). I thought it was brilliant. Then it was lunch time then I had to go out for a short while. When I got back it was coffee time then I thought I'd better start hoovering. I had only been doing it a couple of minutes when my wife returned home and instead of being impressed that I was cleaning up she just knew that I'd been on the computer and watched the telly. How are women able to tell these things?

Anyway out of interest, from all those who love a good western, what are your favourites? My three have to be
High Noon
Magnificent Seven
The Outlaw Josey Wales.

I liked Outland and The Road Warrior.

Oh, sorry, you didn't say Sci-Fi rip-offs of classic westerns (High Noon and Shane). ;)

Seriously, Unforgiven, Quiggly Down Under, and Hang'em High come to mind.

The Outlaw Josey Wales
High Plains Drifter
Lonesome Dove
3:10 to Yuma
Broken Trail
The Alamo
Tombstone
In no particular order

All of the "man with no name" series, the searchers, the newer Clint Eastwood (esp The Unforgiven)

Two nights ago I started watching old reruns of Have Gun Will Travel on Netflix instant play. I watched it every Friday with my grandfather when I was a small boy. It was so fun to see it again. The acting was corny but the proper western values were all there, never shoot a man in the back, always face your enemy, it's more respectible to die in a gunfight than to be hung and of course, never shoot an unarmed man.

I like just about any western and especially the ones mentioned.

Unforgiven
Pale Rider
Josie Wales
Hang Em High
The rest of the Eastwood's
Silverado
Tombstone
310 to Yuma (Old and New)
Shane
High Noon
Liberty Valance
Magnificent Seven (and therefore The Seven Samurai)

Here's the kicker though - I don't like anything with John Wayne in it, except The Shootist.

The Searchers - plenty of other good ones, but they all pale next to this one, hands down.

I know Fred, I wouldn't encourage anyone to not watch the Duke but I don't know, I guess I od'd or something. The Duke annoys me, it's a personal affliction. Sorry.

Two nights ago I started watching old reruns of Have Gun Will Travel on Netflix instant play. I watched it every Friday with my grandfather when I was a small boy. It was so fun to see it again. The acting was corny but the proper western values were all there, never shoot a man in the back, always face your enemy, it's more respectible to die in a gunfight than to be hung and of course, never shoot an unarmed man.

I always smile at the values portrayed in older westerns. For instance in the likes of High Noon the good guys that support the marshal are all clean shaven, in light clothes and in church whilst the bad guys supporting Frank Miller are all unshaven, in black and in the saloon. Churches often featured in older westerns (and always seemed to be singing Shall we Gather at the River) but not so much in newer ones. (unless you count 3 Mules for Sister Sarah!)

I like Westerns. That is an understatement. One that most people haven't watched but is very good is, 'Monte Walsh, the Last Cowboy'. Tom Selleck is fantastic in that one. It is In my humble opinion better than the 1973 Lee Marvin movie, and that one was pretty good. Keith Carradine does a good job, too.

---------- Post added at 05:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:14 PM ----------

I always smile at the values portrayed in older westerns. For instance in the likes of High Noon the good guys that support the marshal are all clean shaven, in light clothes and in church whilst the bad guys supporting Frank Miller are all unshaven, in black and in the saloon. Churches often featured in older westerns (and always seemed to be singing Shall we Gather at the River) but not so much in newer ones. (unless you count 3 Mules for Sister Sarah!)

Know what they always sing that hymn? That is where the tea totalers always pour out the whiskey.

I cant believe I had forgotten to say amongst my favourites were Dances with Wolves and Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. I'm also surprised no one has mentioned Blazing Saddles!

My favorites are the "spaghetti" westerns with Clint Eastwood. The best of all: "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly." Great flick, must watch!

Unforgiven
Pale Rider
Josie Wales
Hang Em High
Silverado
Tombstone
Shane
High Noon
Liberty Valance

Here's the kicker though - I don't like anything with John Wayne in it, except The Shootist.

I take it that it's been a while since you watched 'The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance' starring John Wayne and Jimmy Stewart?

:eek:

Bob, Bob, Bob!! Anything with the Duke is good. Especially Rio Lobo and Rio Bravo.
Those are the same movie just with different co-stars, right? Dean Martin and Robert Mitchum as drunk has-beens and James Caan and Ricky Nelson as young sidekicks with names of US States in their monikers?

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by BobVigneault

Unforgiven
Pale Rider
Josie Wales
Hang Em High
Silverado
Tombstone
Shane
High Noon
Liberty Valance

I take it that it's been a while since you watched 'The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance' starring John Wayne and Jimmy Stewart?​

Edward

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Was there ever a better western villain than Lee Marvin in "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance?" I think not... But then, "Valance" is my favorite western.

:)

Margaret

Shenandoah with James Stewart
Tombstone
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
Two Mules for Sister Sarah
A Fistful of Dollars
For a Few Dollars More Hang'em High
Pale Rider
The Outlaw Josey Wales
High Plains Drifer

Well actually any Clint Eastwood Spaghetti Western.

But one of my Favorite movies is Frank and Jesse with Rob Lowe, Bill Paxton, and Randy Travis. It ranks up there with Tombstone in my opinion.

You're right Edward, John Wayne is in Valance. Notice the two movies I like with John Wayne in them also co-star Jimmy Stewart. I guess I'm such a Stewart fan that I'll accept Mr. Wayne in the movie as well.

Sigh . . .

You youngsters have been deprived of the very best "westerns," such as:

The Lone Ranger upholding law and order, behind a black mask, riding his fine steed "Silver", with his Indian side-kick, "Tonto."

And Roy Rogers singing the glories of western sunsets upon his Palamino. named "Trigger!"

When was the last time you heard a good and proper rendition of the good ol' cowboy songs, like "Home, Home On The Range" sung by a REAL Hollywood cowboy?

. . . :sing:

:lol:

Blazing Saddles
The Searchers
The Cowboys (Best Musical Score for a western, ever!)
The Gunfight At OK Corral episode of Star Trek

Lawrence, I didn't know that Monte Walsh was made into a movie. My cousin gave me his copy of that book to read when I was about 18 and I absolutely loved it. Lines from it still run through my head! "Slash Y, in for the mail!" "When I grow up I want to be a cowboy like Monte Walsh." sigh. I hope I can track it down over here.

I surprised that no one has mentioned a couple of other classic Westerns: McClintock and Evil Roy Slade. Two totally different movies that for some reason remind me of one another.

Oh, and Paladin!

How about a comic Western like The Three Amigos with Steve Martin, Chevy Chase, and Martin Short?

"Maverick/Support Your Local Gunfighter" (w/James Garner) is better than "Three Amigos", in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back