• If there's a God, why are there atheists? by R. C. Sproul

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • The Power of Prayer by C. H. Spurgeon

Votes: 5 8.1%
  • The Truth War by John MacArthur

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Can Man Live Without God by Ravi Zacharias

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Let the Nations be Glad by John Piper (read the first couple of chapters)

Votes: 4 6.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jake

Puritan Board Senior
I haven't gotten any of the books on my wish list lately, but this is what I have gotten from used bookstores, the church library, and online at PaperBookSwap or have been given to me by family (these I am sure aren't reformed). I can't decide what to start on next though! If enough people participate, I'll put the ones most voted on in the order to read.

I'm reading a couple of books now, but I'm more than half way through with each... But there is time for the poll to run.

Who in the world are these people on this list? I recognized two or three of them...

As I said, they're not all reformed. And some of them are older too. However, I would have expected most of you to have heard of at least Bunyan, MacArthur, Packer, Sproul, Spurgeon, and Piper.

And I kind of expected Pilgrim's Progress to win, but we'll see. I suppose that would be a good read, seeing as I have never read it before.

At the risk of flying in the face of everyone's recommendation, I read "Pilgrim's Progress" this Spring and really wasn't impressed. Some of the analogies / parable encounters were clever, but I found many to be forced and awkward. I recognize that you have to read it in light of it's place in time and church history, and I am glad that I did finally read it, but it's not a book that I would recommend enthusiastically and without qualification. :2cents:

As I've said before, Bunyan is probably the only Reformed writer who deserves to be called a literary artist. There are nothing but good reasons to read him, and no good reasons not to.

If you have not read Pilgrim's Progress yet, there is no question what book you should read.

I'll add to the avalanche of Pilgrim's Progress recommendations. Your bio does not indicate whether you are married, but a wonderful way to absorb this book is to have it read to you. My wife read me large portions as we travel to the preaching post we have a few hours away.

I'll add to the avalanche of Pilgrim's Progress recommendations. Your bio does not indicate whether you are married, but a wonderful way to absorb this book is to have it read to you. My wife read me large portions as we travel to the preaching post we have a few hours away.

I am still a teenager... I don't think I'm even legally old enough to be married and have never been in a relationship. So no! :) But perhaps I could try an audiobook? I found a free one online.

Also, since it appears that Bunyan will get the most recommendations, what would you guys who have already voted suggest I read after that? I do look forward to Bunyan, but wanted to order them with the suggestions since I can never decide. :p

I am reading Let the Nations be Glad by Piper right now. To be honest I love the emphasis on Glorifying God theme that Piper seems to carry but some of the missionary stories that he presents are a cause for concern for me (even within the first 3 chapters). He speaks about missionaries which God "spoke to them" or "gave them" something which show Pipers continuationist side.

Last edited:
At the risk of flying in the face of everyone's recommendation, I read "Pilgrim's Progress" this Spring and really wasn't impressed. Some of the analogies / parable encounters were clever, but I found many to be forced and awkward. I recognize that you have to read it in light of it's place in time and church history, and I am glad that I did finally read it, but it's not a book that I would recommend enthusiastically and without qualification. :2cents:

You are most definitely unique in your opinion of Pilgrim's Progress; most likely the first to ever state such!
For centuries this has been a classic on the walk of a pilgrim, finding his way to the cross to lay his burden down!
O.K. you're pardoned.
Now try reading 'Holiness' by J.C. Ryle and tell me your thoughts!

God Calling is a non Christian Cultish book.

CRI Journal - CRJ0021A

I vote for Pilgrim's Progress if you haven't tasted of it yet. It is wonderful, challenging, and encouraging. A must read for all who love Christ and the way of the Pilgrim. I have read it at least 5 times.

Thanks. My mom said the book was one of her favorites that she had read many times. The one she loaned to me was one she gave to my dad. She said I'd like this if I liked Augustine. I'll definitely not read it now.

Rediscovering Holiness

I loved that book also. I got Dr. Packer to sign my battered copy at a Reformation and Revival Conference years ago.

I was leaning toward that book myself. It looks really good. I got an almost new copy at a used bookstore. The store also had a Puritan Paperback (Reformed Pastor by Baxter) but it was thouroughly worn and underlined and marked and was still as much as it cost new.

Jake, I would have to agree with the "majority" here on the PB, "Pilgrim's Progress" hands-down! You will love it! And I too am looking forward to reading "Rediscovering Holiness!"

btw, welcome to the PB. :wave:

My son is reading Bainton's book on Luther now -- I haven't read his book on the reformation you mentioned (yet, it's likely worthwhile).

My son is reading Bainton's book on Luther now -- I haven't read his book on the reformation you mentioned (yet, it's likely worthwhile).

That one (Here I Stand) is on my wish list. I hope to get it eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back