Status
Not open for further replies.

moral necessity

Puritan Board Junior
The Quest For Full Assurance - Joel R. Beeke
Law and Gospel - Walther
Dying to Live - Senkbeil

A few others are late in arrival...

A Tom Clancy novel and a Bible Crossword book.

Fortunately, I've got an iPad with over 20 GB free, so I'm sure I'll be able to find something online that'll suit my fancy. :)

We got a $50 Amazon card and hubby went in to order that new Frame book and already it was out of stock. I guess he'll never be able to understand the two kingdoms :(

Recent acquisitions include:

Abraham Booth, The Reign of Grace
Ernest F. Kevan, The Grace of Law
John Owen, The Death of Death
Samuel Bolton, The True Bounds of Christian Liberty

Amazon gift cards: Just about enough to purchase Calvin's full commentary set. (I splurge with other amount and brought it)
:)
Now I just have to wait for the next week while it ships. O its going to kill me to wait.

A Scottish Christian Heritage- Iain Murray

One of my favourite authors on one of my favourite subjects.

The John MacArthur study bible- English Standard Version (ESV)

I wanted the NASB version, but they were out. I'm quite impressed with the ESV though. I believe there are places where the ESV paraphrases when it doesn't have to, but it's still a highly enjoyable translation. I'm sure most of you are quite familiar with this study bible, but for those who don't have a copy I highly recommend it.

Institutes of Biblical Law Vol. II: Law and Society - Rushdoony
The Assembly's Shorter Catechism Explained - James Fisher

My daughter gave me You Should Have Been Here Yesterday: A Life in Television News by Garrick Utley (New York: Public Affairs, 2000). Not the kind of book I would buy for myself, but it might be an interesting read.

Also: Basic Economics: A Common Sense Guide to the Economy 4th edition; by Thomas Sowell (New York: Basic Books, 2011). If anyone can make me understand the basic principles of economics, he can.

Last edited:
A dispute against the English popish ceremonies, obtruded upon the Church of Scotland by George Gillespie is available free on Google Books and is my gift to you as an encouragement to be rescued from the superstitions and will-worship of the Whore of Babylon and all her perversions of the worship of God, including the Christ-mass.

Thanks Joshua!

Sermon on the Mount by Martyn Loyd-Jones
Case for Covenant Communion edited by Greg Strawbridge
ESV Audio MP3/CD set thingy

A kindle and Jenkins "History of England" which I was told has been well reviewed on Radio 4, so probably liberal tosh.

Stalker's Life of Christ.

Stalker is a 19th century Scottish author I hadn't heard of until recently. I enjoyed his Life of Paul, so I asked for this one.
The above is how the title appears on the front, which caused some hilarity in certain sections of the family.

My Parents gave me a Cambridge ESV Pitt Minion which is absolutely beautiful.

Covenant and Election in the Reformed Tradition - David Engelsma
Calvin's Calvinism - John Calvin

The three book gifts I received are:

- an Allan Highland Goatskin ESV
- a Brakel's Christian's Reasonable Service
- $75 to spend on Amazon for books

I got my first Kindle (Touch) and have placed about 50 books on it so far. Creeds, Confessions, classics, etc. I'm pretty excited about it.

My extended family cleared out a large part of my wish list -

The Politically Incorrect Guide to the South (and Why It Will Rise Again)
by Clint Johnson

The Historical Roots of the Presbyterian Church in America
by Don K. Clements (Paperback)

Differences Between Bible Versions
by Gary F. Zeolla

Given for You: Reclaiming Calvin's Doctrine of the Lord's Supper
by Keith A. Mathison

Analysis of the Institutes of the Christian Religion of John Calvin
by Ford Lewis Battles

The Returning King: A Guide to the Book of Revelation
by Vern S. Poythress

Not a book, but also a goodie -
KJB: The Book That Changed the World (DVD)
John Rhys-Davies

Night of Weeping, Morning of Joy - Horatius Bonar
When People Are Big And God is Small - Edward T. Welch
A Method For Prayer - Matthew Henry

:book2:

A dispute against the English popish ceremonies, obtruded upon the Church of Scotland by George Gillespie is available free on Google Books and is my gift to you as an encouragement to be rescued from the superstitions and will-worship of the Whore of Babylon and all her perversions of the worship of God, including the Christ-mass.

Thanks for the reference, Josh. I'd really like to read that! Did you know that Calvin wrote about the celebration of Christ's birthday too, later in his life? His was a more moderate approach, however, treating it as a thing indifferent, in order to show that faith and Christianity do not consist in such things. Here's a link where somebody typed out what he wrote: http://rbvincent.com/BibleStudies/calvinxmas.htm

You can find the actual references in these books Christianbook.com: John Calvin, Tracts and Letters - 7 volumes: John Calvin: 9780851519876
but it should be noted that the page #'s on the website do not match the page #'s with this set of books. The first reference should be Volume 5, p.287-289, and the second should be Volume 6, p.160-169.

Blessings and fellowship! I've added your book to my reading list, and look forward to checking it out!

Last edited:
My extended family cleared out a large part of my wish list -

The Politically Incorrect Guide to the South (and Why It Will Rise Again)
by Clint Johnson

The Historical Roots of the Presbyterian Church in America
by Don K. Clements (Paperback)

Differences Between Bible Versions
by Gary F. Zeolla

Given for You: Reclaiming Calvin's Doctrine of the Lord's Supper
by Keith A. Mathison

Analysis of the Institutes of the Christian Religion of John Calvin
by Ford Lewis Battles

The Returning King: A Guide to the Book of Revelation
by Vern S. Poythress

Not a book, but also a goodie -
KJB: The Book That Changed the World (DVD)
John Rhys-Davies

The first one looks really interesting. Many active members of the PUL community over here are fans of the Confederate side.

This was a banner year for getting books as gifts:

The Reformation for Armchair Theologians-Glenn S. Sunshine
Calvin for Armchair Theologians-Christopher Elwood
John Knox and the Reformation-M. Lloyd-Jones and Iain Murray
The History of the Reformation in Scotland-John Knox
The Reformation: A History-Diarmaid MacCulloch
The Westminster Handbook to Theologies of the Reformation: R. Ward Holder, Ed. and
Reformed Dogmatics.

I have about 6 months of reading lined up now!

- A few books by P. Andrew Sandlin
- Solomon Among The Postmoderns by Peter Leithart
- The Escondido Theology by John Frame (just ordered it yesterday)

By the way, I'm well aware of the various controversies surrounding all three authors, so there's no need to "warn" me about them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back