What books should I keep or toss in the garbage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
what you would suggest that I toss in the garbage or which should I keep?

I recommend keeping the following as they will have at least some benefit:

4. The Sermons of Henry Alline
16. The Attributes of God, A.W. Tozer
17. Holiness, J.C. Ryle
20. The Weapon of Prayer, E.M. Bounds
23. Power through Prayer, E.M. Bounds
24. Gospel Virtues, Jonathan R. Wilson
25. Revolution in World Missions, K.P. Yohannan
26. Operation World, Patrick Johnstone and Jason Mandryk (while you can omit this book, if you do so it is essential to check out and revisit the OW website: Operation World | Home)
27. Evangelism in the Early Church, Michael Green
29. The Screwtape Letters, C.S. Lewis
38. The Message of the New Testament, F.F. Bruce
41. Heresies, Harold O.J. Brown
44. Kingdom of the Cults, Walter Martin
48. The Pursuit of God, A.W. Tozer,
60. My Utmost for His Highest, Oswald Chambers

From this list, I would toss Yohannan (#25) and maybe Bounds too...something about him has always rubbed me the wrong way. The rest of Mr. Cunningham's list would likely prove useful. All the best on your future plans.

Grace to you.

Thank you, Sir.

These are the volumes I would hold onto:

17. Holiness, J.C. Ryle

43. The Story of Christianity, Justo L. Gonzalez

Thank you. I have added some of these.

Chuck Changed Into His Image by Jim Berg. He is the Dean of Men at Bob Jones University, and if I remember correctly, the book is highly legalistic.

Thank you. That was given to me by another chaplain.

Please don't give rubbish to the needy. Throw it away.

To gain "insight" one must have "sight." If a book teaches error, and the person lacks the wherewithal to see it, there will be no insight into the truth, but merely a perversion of it.

Reformed believers often forget themselves or presume upon the privilege of knowing the truth when they recommend non-reformed books to others. One should remember that true knowledge is a gift from God which is rightly acquired in the diligent use of lawful means.

I once bought a copy of 'your best life now' for 10 cents so that I could burn it so that no-one would ever read it again. My standing joke to go with that episode was that when I burned the copy in the front yard, the smoke did not rise heavenward...

Sadly, I once bought that book and read it. Although, I did rip it up a few years ago and threw it in the trash. Maybe I should have burned it instead. It would have been interesting to see smoke descend into the depths of the earth...

These still sit on my shelf. The rest are in a bag to be thrown. What reason would you give to chuck any of the remaining ones? I'd really like to know anything that you know.

5. Secret Power, D.L. Moody
17. Holiness, J.C. Ryle
19. Simple Faith, Charles R. Swindoll
26. Operation World, Patrick Johnstone and Jason Mandryk
27. Evangelism in the Early Church, Michael Green
28. A Faith Worth Sharing, C.John Miller
29. The Screwtape Letters, C.S. Lewis
30. Postmodern Times, A Christian Guide to Contemporary Thought and Culture, Gene Edward Veith, Jr.
34. Pastoral Theology, Thomas Oden
36. Halleys Bible Handbook
37. Unger’s Bible Handbook
41. Heresies, Harold O.J. Brown
42. The Story of Christian Theology, Roger Olson ???
43. The Story of Christianity, Justo L. Gonzalez
57. What the Bible Says about Parenting, John MacArthur
59. Love Languages, Gary Chapman
63. The Fulfilled Family, John MacArthur
64. The Extraordinary Mother, John MacArthur
65. The Life of Christ, Fredric W. Farrar,??

Here are a few others for considersation:

73. Old Testament Survey, LaSor, Hubbard, Rush
74. The New Bible Commentary: Eerdmans, Edited by, Guthrie and Motyer, 1973
75. The Bible Dictionary: Eerdmans, Douglas, 1962
76. The Bible Knowledge Background Commentary, Craig Evans, 2005
77. Bible Dictionary, Eerdmans, Myers, 1993
78. Dictionary of Jesus and the Gospels, IVP, 1992

Congratulations your winning numbers are ....

16,17,20,23,26,27,34,36,37,38,41,43,44,57,63,64 & supplementary 65 :D

Thank you. Why did you say #65, The Life of Christ, Fredric W. Farrar?

Hello, I chose #65 as I thought Farrar was a Conservative Evangelical & that it would be
a good general reference, the wiki article on Farrar says hes a Universalist if this is true
then it might be better to discard it, some of the books that I've suggested you hold on to
like Ooeration World were only for the reference & statistical information & on those grounds
i would recomend you keep 73-78 also ,suggest you get rid of Lewis screwtape letters he was
an unbeliever with occultic themes in his writings he recieved RC last rites on death bed!

Hello, I chose #65 as I thought Farrar was a Conservative Evangelical & that it would be
a good general reference, the wiki article on Farrar says hes a Universalist if this is true
then it might be better to discard it, some of the books that I've suggested you hold on to
like Operation World were only for the reference & statistical information & on those grounds
i would recomend you keep 73-78 also ,suggest you get rid of Lewis screwtape letters he was
an unbeliever with occultic themes in his writings he recieved RC last rites on death bed!

like Operation World were only for the reference & statistical information & on those grounds

Thank you for the clarification. I had no idea who Farrar was.

Looks like you've got some good ones there. I am unfamilar with Patrick Johnstone and Jason Mandryk, Michael Green, C.John Miller, Gene Edward Veith, Jr, Gary Chapman, Justo L. Gonzalez or any in your Further Consideration list. I would chuck moody, and swindoll, just not worth the time when prioritizing, also Roger Olsen is a staunch Arminian I believe. Everything you have left over I'd put in a big lot wholesale on ebay.

Here are a few others for considersation:

73. Old Testament Survey, LaSor, Hubbard, Rush
74. The New Bible Commentary: Eerdmans, Edited by, Guthrie and Motyer, 1973
75. The Bible Dictionary: Eerdmans, Douglas, 1962
76. The Bible Knowledge Background Commentary, Craig Evans, 2005
77. Bible Dictionary, Eerdmans, Myers, 1993
78. Dictionary of Jesus and the Gospels, IVP, 1992[/QUOTE]

I would add these to your keeping pile. General biblical reference materials such as these are almost always helpful overall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back