What church father/theologian does your church quote the most?

Status
Not open for further replies.

crossbearer89

Puritan Board Freshman
Hello everyone, I am curious, what church father/theologian (past or modern) does your church quote the most? During the service or in sermons.

In my church (which is a reformed leaning Baptist church) Luther is quoted the most, by far.

John Calvin and John Owen get quoted a fair lot. Modern commentators such as Greg Beale and D. A. Carson get mentioned from time to time, as does Kevin De Young who is due to preach for us again this year.

I doubt anyone has done a statistical analysis, but probably what is most quoted after Scripture would be:
1. The Heidelberg Catechism
2. The Belgic Confession
3. The Westminster Standards

In terms of individual theologians, probably Calvin.

In the sermons, my guess is Spurgeon. The pastor would probably name Owen as his favorite, but Spurgeon is a lot more quotable.

The three most quoted from my TE are the Westminster Standards, Matthew Henry, and Calvin.

One of our RE's is a Latinist and translator, so he often quotes Augustin, Beza, Calvin, and Junius.

Dr. Stephen Myers attends my congregation and often fills the pulpit. He has done work in the theology of Thomas Boston, Ralph Ebenezer, and Ebenezer Erskine. It is not uncommon to hear their names.

Hello everyone, I am curious, what church father/theologian (past or modern) does your church quote the most? During the service or in sermons.

In my church (which is a reformed leaning Baptist church) Luther is quoted the most, by far.
In sermons, probably Thomas Boston.

Westminster divines likely followed by Martin Luther. John G. Machen might be next. In other teaching situations Westminster Seminary professors, particularly the originals through the 70s or so, but all this may be my selective hearing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back