What Club To Get Our Kids Involved In?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan&Amber2013

Puritan Board Senior
Hello friends. So, our oldest son will be 3 soon, and our youngest almost 1. We are looking for a great club/group/organization to get them involved in. Our boy loves sports but we are looking for more of something that is going to grow him spiritually and in life skills as well. We were considering AWANA, but that seems to be mainly just discipleship, which they are getting through home and the church. Then there's the Boy Scouts, which sound pretty good but are missing the spiritual aspect of life. Is there anything you know that encompasses all areas of life, like Bible lessons, outdoor skills, character growth, etc? Also, what clubs have your children really enjoyed? Thanks so much!

That’s a tough one. We have our daughter in some sports but church and home what rely on for spiritual nourishment. We’re joining a Christian homeschool coop the first of the year and next spring a Spanish class and camp. Other than the homeschool coop nothing else is explicitly Christian.

I'm not a big fan of AWANA because of their emphasis on earning badges, and especially prizes, for Bible memory and other spiritual tasks. Although good leaders can sometimes pull that off without losing a proper spiritual perspective, it too easily (1) becomes a form of legalism or (2) cheapens the eternal value of spiritual disciplines by making earthly trinkets their main motivation. Also, you sometimes get a vibe that fails to make spiritual disciplines an outgrowth of salvation through the cross, and instead seems to make them a substitute for coming to the cross.

Does a more Reformed-minded church in your area offer a midweek gathering that might take a better approach?

3 years old and 1 year old?

Keep them at home with their mom. That's the best club around for them at this age.

Later, get them into an MMA and BJJ club, and a rifle club.

Later, get them into an MMA and BJJ club, and a rifle club.
Sounds like... Fight Club! (don't talk about)

other options:
Billy Club
Night Club
Golf Club
Club Trump
Clubs are trump
Club House
Tree Fort
Club Med
Club Soda
Club Foot​

take your pick...

Don't let your kids live in a minivan munching Nutri-grain bars while Mom pops tranquilizers. Younger kids thrive in a low-stress environment where they can explore and play Calvinball. For now, build on family-to-family friendships.

As they get a bit older, let kids follow their own interest into the arts and sports, though team sports are becoming almost impossible for believing families. Christian camps can offer great experiences, like the science camp my boys attend that's run by our presbytery.

Don't let your kids live in a minivan munching Nutri-grain bars while Mom pops tranquilizers. Younger kids thrive in a low-stress environment where they can explore and play Calvinball. For now, build on family-to-family friendships.

As they get a bit older, let kids follow their own interest into the arts and sports, though team sports are becoming almost impossible for believing families. Christian camps can offer great experiences, like the science camp my boys attend that's run by our presbytery.

Once again, Jean's wisdom shines through! Sound counsel!

I would add this, do things as a family that kids aren't supposed to enjoy: take them to concerts, museums, and the like, as well as expose them to all sorts of stuff like that at home (this assumes all the proper things in terms of Christian nurture). Do this as much as you can all about you and in many other places.

In other words, fully educate them with respect to the One who is not only the author of all Truth, but of all Beauty--the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Talk about this as comprehensively as you can, everywhere you can, in as loving, kind, and patient a way as you can (a la Deut. 6:4-9).

They will thank you for it one day!

Peace,
Alan

We do not trust camps nor encourage group activities of any sort. Instead, we spend as much time as possible with our children ourselves, teaching them everything we find to be important.
This may not be for everyone, but we spend as much time as we can sailing together. We explore places together by boat and foot; we make bonfires on beaches, we go swimming. They are almost never in the care of someone other than their own parents. How else can we guarantee their safety? And so we set aside many other things we could be doing in order to make sure we raise our children with a good conscience. Turns out, family time is the most satisfying anyway. For us at least.

Awesome advice, and probably just what I needed to hear. Thank you so much!

Once again, Jean's wisdom shines through! Sound counsel!

I would add this, do things as a family that kids aren't supposed to enjoy: take them to concerts, museums, and the like, as well as expose them to all sorts of stuff like that at home (this assumes all the proper things in terms of Christian nurture). Do this as much as you can all about you and in many other places.

In other words, fully educate them with respect to the One who is not only the author of all Truth, but of all Beauty--the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Talk about this as comprehensively as you can, everywhere you can, in as loving, kind, and patient a way as you can (a la Deut. 6:4-9).

They will thank you for it one day!

Peace,
Alan
As always, great input, brother Strange. I love how you always point me to the beautiful, artistic, and heartfelt things of life. I hope you never change in shepherding people in such a way, because this is the most worthwhile way to truly live.

We do not trust camps nor encourage group activities of any sort. Instead, we spend as much time as possible with our children ourselves, teaching them everything we find to be important.
This may not be for everyone, but we spend as much time as we can sailing together. We explore places together by boat and foot; we make bonfires on beaches, we go swimming. They are almost never in the care of someone other than their own parents. How else can we guarantee their safety? And so we set aside many other things we could be doing in order to make sure we raise our children with a good conscience. Turns out, family time is the most satisfying anyway. For us at least.
Wow, really good. I'm glad I asked this question on this thread, as God has used you guys to show me what I needed to see.

My son was apart of the Calvinist Cadets. It can be hit and miss. My daughters were apart of GEMS which can also be hit and miss. I knew the Cadet leaders and the GEMS leader was a former teacher of mine so I was comfortable with them attending.

Yours in the Lord,

jm

do things as a family that kids aren't supposed to enjoy: take them to concerts, museums, and the like, as well as expose them to all sorts of stuff like that at home
This has the added benefit that kids learn how to handle themselves in many circumstances. The dress and decorum for a symphony hall differs greatly from a campfire or contra dance. And modern museums have greatly supplemented our home schooling.

Good advice in the thread already. I would add, likely for when they are older and able to have more responsibility, local 4H clubs are a great way to connect with community members and for kids to learn various skills. Depending on what your local chapter has available, it can be anything from camping/sporting/outdoor activities, to discovery/science based things like growing crops/animals/nature hikes/games, or (for much older kids) some things like archery and other outdoor-y sports. The great thing about 4H is that adults can get just as involved in activities as kids, so it can be a real family effort. Obviously not going to be as nurturing on the spiritual side, but you can always try to get together with other people at church, especially those who have kids near your children's age to foster some of those friendships and interactions with other Christians. Also, another community-based advice, and not one that is necessarily on the spiritual side, but local libraries often have MANY activities for that age group to participate in--many book readings, puppet shows, wholesome family craft and other activities for kids and their parents-- that seems to be a demographic local libraries love to provide resources for. My local library even has a day where people with rehab/calm pets can come in and the kids get to read to the animals. It's pretty adorable...and fun.

Boy Scouts is different everywhere. I am an assistant scoutmaster. Our troop is great. We are sponsored by a Christian Church. We don’t have any girls in the Troop. No homosexuals..at least that are open.... we do have a faith aspect. When I saw that it was starting to lack, I volunteered to be the Troop chaplain. We now have a much better emphasis on God..Christian God, not some greater spirit in the sky....we do a LOT of backpacking and camping. Have about 70 boys involved and for a lot, we are the only positive male role models they see. We give these boys the opportunity to be around Christian men and go places and do things a lot of things others don’t get the chance to. Like canoe Boundary waters last summer, backpack New Mexico last summer, shoot rifles and bows, cook meals etc. Nationally Scouting is going downhill, but there are a lot of exaggerations also. Local troops have the final say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back