Votes: 43 59.7%
  • Other

Votes: 18 25.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

AV1611

Puritan Board Senior
What Confessional documents do you hold to? Just interested as to which of the two is more generally held by PB members.

Richard - this should be an anticlimatic poll. Since most members of the PB are Presbyterian the W.C.F. should carry the day.

It would be interesting to see some others listed...
  • London Confession of 1689
  • The Philadelphia Confession of Faith
  • 39 Articles
  • Heidelberg Catechism
  • Canons of Dort

• 39 Articles
  • Heidelberg Catechism
  • Canons of Dort

I was under the impression that the only confessions which would give someone eligibility to be a PB member were the WCF, LBCF, and Three Forms.

I was under the impression that the only confessions which would give someone eligibility to be a PB member were the WCF, LBCF, and Three Forms.

It's been a couple of years since i joined, i must have forgotten about the membership eligibility. Thanks for pointing that out.

P.S. the World Reformed Fellowship is constructing a new statement of faith for the modern era. Keep your eyes open for it!

• 39 Articles
  • Heidelberg Catechism
  • Canons of Dort

I hold to the LBCF, but I'd think that the Philadephia Confession would work. As I recall, it is very similar to the LBCF.

I thought there were only blue-haired "ladies"?

I can't imagine you as a "blue-haired lady", LadyFlynt. I figure you're waaaay too young for that stuff.

I do remember there being actual blue-haired elderly ladies when I was a wee lad back in the late '50s and early '60s. I guess that trend has died away.

No, I don't think the trend has died away...look at Bill Brown!

You were a wee lad in the 50s and 60s??? Oh, thank you, you've made me feel so young!

I do not have blue hair! :lol:

....but Richard does...

blue_hair_last_day_med.jpg

• 39 Articles
  • Heidelberg Catechism
  • Canons of Dort

The Heidelberg and the Canons of Dort are subsumed under the Three forms of Unity (the Belgic Confession being the third).

It has been pointed out that the list is deficient. I would have preferred a multiple selection option because I confess both the WCF and the 3 Forms of Unity.

If one looks at the forum rules, it is easy to determine the Confessions that require no waiver. Here is the appropriate section:
2. Confessional Requirements:

a. The Puritan Board is subject to Christ's Church. The Puritanboard is owned by a Presbyterian subject to a local session. However, because the Puritanboard is moderated by both Presbyterians and Baptists, we endeavor to live in some level of harmony in edification and fellowship.

b. Confessional Subscription: Officially, the Puritanboard is governed by the Westminster Standards and will acquiesce to them in ultimate matters of any controversies on the Puritanboard. Some of our moderators are Baptist and hold to the 1689 London Baptist Confession of Faith (LBCF). Others hold to the Three Forms of Unity (Belgic Confession, Heidelberg Catechism, and the Canons of Dordt).

c. Historic Creeds: All members of this board hold to the basic creeds of the church: The Apostles' Creed, The Nicene Creed, The Athanasian Creed, and the Definitions of Chalcedon.

d. Confessional Requirements: One must hold to either the Westminster Standards, the Three Forms of Unity, the Second Helvetic Confession, or the LBCF to be approved for membership without a waiver. This does not mean that the these confessions are viewed as the "Word of God." Rather, these confessions and creeds are taken to accurately summarize the key doctrines of the Bible and allow mutual, like-minded fellowship (Amos 3:3, "Can two walk together unless they be agreed?"). The adherence to any orthodox historical documents assure that the board will be kept "like-minded" in most of the basic points of salvation history and that the fellowship "exhortive and encouraging." Those who seek to modify, depart from, change or disprove the doctrines found in the Confessions will bear the burden of proof to support their claim.

e. Under some circumstances, the Admins may approve an applicant who does not fully confess one of these historic Reformed confessions but whose soteriological and ecclesiological journey is taking them down that path. This has included some Lutherans, Episcopalians, and some independents in the process of Reforming.
I enjoy being an Admin of this board but one of the less enjoyable aspects is actually approving membership. In many ways it has been very revealing to me the spectrum of people that call themselves Reformed.

I can't really blame some people because I used to be pretty ignorant about what the term means but I benefitted from being in an orthodox body that constrained and restrained my thinking. I, nevertheless, had a very basic concept that being reformed meant understanding and embracing TULIP and little else.

Most people are familiar with the term "Calvinist cage stage". That is, there is a well known stage where people become convinced of TULIP and become somewhat obnoxious - asking people: "Are you semi-Pelagian or Calvinist?" and folks who can only talk about election and reprobation.

I actually think it's more of a "Reformed means TULIP" stage that some people that call themselves Reformed either grow out of or they remain stilted within that development. To become Reformed, I have grown to understand, is to submit yourself to a Church and to confess with the Christians of the ages a common confession that contends for truth and the unity of the faith.

People that stand apart from Confessions and proclaim themselves the infallible arbiter of the Scriptures true interpretation are not Reformed even if they've read Calvin's Insitutes and like what it has to say for the most part. To be Reformed is to be a Christian with a Reformed Confession and to submit to the authority of a Church.

Some people apply and they're just all over the map: "Hi, I like TULIP and I'm exploring paedocommunion and don't believe there are any Biblical grounds for divorce...." I recently got an application from a Southern Baptist pastoral intern who stated he subscribed to WCF. When I asked him how a Baptist pastor subscribed to the WCF, his response was: "Whatever Dude, what's the deal with your restrictions, I just wanted to post and have some fun...."

I'll be honest with you that I'm not terribly convinced that something great will come out of the Founder's movement unless they agree to and find a decent Confession that they can unite around. It's not enough to read a few Spurgeon snippets, like the election dealie, and then "...have everyone do what seems right in their own TULIP eyes...."

Confessions don't replace Scripture but they provide a place for a common confession of what the Scriptures teach so you can guard yourself against all the quackery that passes for "Calvinism" these days.

In the end, nobody ever admits to being a heretic. They're just interpreting the Bible and what it says, right?

You were a wee lad in the 50s and 60s??? Oh, thank you, you've made me feel so young!

Yes, Ma'am. Born November 5, 1952, the day after Dwight D. Eisenhower was elected to his first term as president. Harry S. Truman (the last sane Democrat) was a lame-duck president as of the day I was born.

I'll hit double-nickels this year...

Most people are familiar with the term "Calvinist cage stage". That is, there is a well known stage where people become convinced of TULIP and become somewhat obnoxious - asking people: "Are you semi-Pelagian or Calvinist?" and folks who can only talk about election and reprobation.

I actually think it's more of a "Reformed means TULIP" stage that some people that call themselves Reformed either grow out of or they remain stilted within that development. To become Reformed, I have grown to understand, is to submit yourself to a Church and to confess with the Christians of the ages a common confession that contends for truth and the unity of the faith.

Rich, you're describing the me of seven years ago. When I first embraced Calvinism that was all I could talk about. Every conversation found some way of brining election, predestination and TULIP into the discussion. Thank God I have moved from that (with still a long way to go).

Yes, Ma'am. Born November 5, 1952, the day after Dwight D. Eisenhower was elected to his first term as president. Harry S. Truman (the last sane Democrat) was a lame-duck president as of the day I was born.

I'll hit double-nickels this year...
My brother will turn 55 this Juneteenth, and he's in the middle of the pack among the siblings; so everyone is feeling old.:cheers:

Regarding subscription to the confessions as a prerequisite for membership to the board;

To what extent are members allowed to take 'exceptions' to the confessions?

Regarding subscription to the confessions as a prerequisite for membership to the board;

To what extent are members allowed to take 'exceptions' to the confessions?

To the extent that they reveal their exceptions to us so we can evaluate whether or not we want to allow them to post.

Some of those boundaries have been spelled out in the forum rules but usually when it's a tough call I'll start a Moderator thread and we'll discuss it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back