Votes: 11 15.3%
  • Westminster Standards

Votes: 43 59.7%
  • Other

Votes: 18 25.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
It has been pointed out that the list is deficient. I would have preferred a multiple selection option because I confess both the WCF and the 3 Forms of Unity.

Mach niet Rich! You can't have both; we Dutchies don't mix our confessional 'blood'

:)

Jacobus Koelman (1632-1695), The Duties of Parents, p. 31:

The catechisms composed by others have served me as aids and guides. The reason why in this process I do not follow so much the Heidelberg Catechism as I do the Westminster Shorter Catechism of England, Scotland, and Ireland is simply that the latter is in all respects superior. For why should we not honestly acknowledge such an obvious truth? It would be good if the church of The Netherlands would be willing to learn and take over a variety of things from the churches in England and Scotland, things which they formulated in their church order and other formularies more clearly in accordance with God's Word than our church has done.

I probably should have noted that the above was a joke. I went to WSCAL after all: the most ecumenical school on the face of the planet (with many 'nasty' Lutherans and even some 'crazy' Baptists to boot!)

Mach niet Rich! You can't have both; we Dutchies don't mix our confessional 'blood'

Amen, Dominee Kok. Mar 'as it net kin sa as it moat, dan moat it mar sa as it kin'.

:lol:

Yep, it's Fries. One of my Grandfather's favorites. Basically (and correct me if I'm a little off, Rev Kok), it is: If it won't work the way it should, let it work as it will. (So if the Three Forms isn't enough for some, it's OK to fudge a wee bit...) :)

And easy there, Rich, I don't know that the USMC can handle the wrath of the freeky deeky Dutch! I've been watching that Boer War video that Dave Pell posted and my martial blood is up! :lol:

Kevin:

No wonder I didn't understand your 'barbarian' speech! :)

Honestly, I wouldn't know the correct translation since I know very little Dutch. :(

In fact I googled your statement to find the Dutch equivalent.

People that stand apart from Confessions and proclaim themselves the infallible arbiter of the Scriptures true interpretation are not Reformed even if they've read Calvin's Insitutes and like what it has to say for the most part. To be Reformed is to be a Christian with a Reformed Confession and to submit to the authority of a Church.

Is the LBCF a "Reformed" Confession? Obviously acceptable for board membership - but is it Reformed?

Is the LBCF a "Reformed" Confession? Obviously acceptable for board membership - but is it Reformed?

Even recognizing that you're a member of a Baptist church mentioning this, let's not turn this thread into nothing more than an umpteenth "Are Baptists 'Reformed'?" thread.

Oh I don't particularly care whether Baptists get to call themselves "Reformed" - just wanted a short answer from a Board leader. It's just a word, and I'll go along with anyone's definition of it without argument. It is certainly one of the more fruitless debate topics possible.

let's not turn this thread into nothing more than an umpteenth "Are Baptists 'Reformed'?" thread.

I didn't bring the topic up.

Last edited:
Jeremy,

To answer your question:

Historically, Baptists are not Reformed, which is why Baptists referred to themselves as Particular Baptists and why they were not invited to participate in the Westminster Assembly.

Jeremy,

To answer your question:

Historically, Baptists are not Reformed, which is why Baptists referred to themselves as Particular Baptists and why they were not invited to participate in the Westminster Assembly.

Actually, Rich, the reason Baptists were not invited to participate is that they refused to bring their fair share of the coffee and doughnuts. You can't properly write confessions and catechisms without massive amounts of coffee and doughnuts (especially glazed doughnuts [yum])...

The true secret of writing excellent confessions and catechisms - a perpetual sugar high during the process.

By the way: has anyone besides me noticed the true balance of housepets in the Reformed world:

We have CATechisms to help explain and defend our DOGma...:D

I probably should have noted that the above was a joke. I went to WSCAL after all: the most ecumenical school on the face of the planet (with many 'nasty' Lutherans and even some 'crazy' Baptists to boot!)

I didn't attend WSCAL.......;)

Actually, Rich, the reason Baptists were not invited to participate is that they refused to bring their fair share of the coffee and doughnuts. You can't properly write confessions and catechisms without massive amounts of coffee and doughnuts (especially glazed doughnuts [yum])...

The true secret of writing excellent confessions and catechisms - a perpetual sugar high during the process.

:amen:

:lol: :rofl:

Je bedoeld "mag niet"

(sorry to correct your dutch, but you were mixing in a German flair)

No problem. I probably shouldn't write Dutch if I can't speak Dutch. I just happen to remember someone using that one on their dog... :)

Note: My purpose in this poll was to see of those who adhere to Covenant Theology whether more are of the Dutch Reformed variety (Three Forms) or Scottish and English Presbyterianism (Westminster Standards). This also explains why I did not want a multiple choice because whilst I understand those who affirm the one will affirm the other I wish to know which was your confessional foundation.

It would be interesting to see some others listed...
  • London Confession of 1689
  • The Philadelphia Confession of Faith
  • 39 Articles
  • Heidelberg Catechism
  • Canons of Dort

Heidelberg and Dordt are included in the Three Forms of Unity. What I said above explains why I did not include the others. :)

Note: My purpose in this poll was to see of those who adhere to Covenant Theology whether more are of the Dutch Reformed variety (Three Forms) or Scottish and English Presbyterianism (Westminster Standards). This also explains why I did not want a multiple choice because whilst I understand those who affirm the one will affirm the other I wish to know which was your confessional foundation.

Do the Dutch Reformed still hold to the Three Forms?

The churches united under "samen op weg" (together on the way), now known as the Protestantse Kerk in Nederland, do not. Which are the Netherlands Reformed Church (Nederlands Hervormde Kerk), the Reformed Church (Gereformeeerde Kerk), and the Evangelical Lutheran Church (Evangelisch-Lutherse Kerk).

The churches united under "samen op weg" (together on the way), now known as the Protestantse Kerk in Nederland, do not. Which are the Netherlands Reformed Church (Nederlands Hervormde Kerk), the Reformed Church (Gereformeeerde Kerk), and the Evangelical Lutheran Church (Evangelisch-Lutherse Kerk).

According to this website, the PKN still technically holds to the TFU. Whether they actually do in practice is another matter altogether.

I guess the right word is "technically".

This is article 1 of their church order:

Artikel I

De Protestantse Kerk in Nederland is overeenkomstig haar belijden gestalte van de ene heilige apostolische en katholieke of algemene christelijke Kerk die zich, delend in de aan Israël geschonken verwachting, uitstrekt naar de komst van het Koninkrijk van God.
Levend uit Gods genade in Jezus Christus vervult de kerk de opdracht van haar Heer om het woord te horen en te verkondigen.
Betrokken in Gods toewending tot de wereld, belijdt de kerk in gehoorzaamheid aan de Heilige Schrift als enige bron en norm van de kerkelijke verkondiging en dienst, de drie-enige God, Vader, Zoon en Heilige Geest.
Het belijden van de kerk geschiedt in gemeenschap met de belijdenis van het voorgeslacht, zoals die is verwoord in de Apostolische geloofsbelijdenis , de geloofsbelijdenis van Nicea en de geloofsbelijdenis van Athanasius - waardoor de kerk zich verbonden weet met de algemene christelijke Kerk-, in de Onveranderde Augsburgse confessie en de catechismus van Luther - waardoor de kerk zich verbonden weet met de lutherse traditie -, in de catechismus van Heidelberg, de catechismus van Genève en de Nederlandse geloofsbelijdenis met de Dordtse leerregels - waardoor de kerk zich verbonden weet met de gereformeerde traditie.
De kerk erkent de betekenis van de theologische verklaring van Barmen voor het belijden in het heden. De kerk erkent met de Konkordie van Leuenberg dat de lutherse en gereformeerde tradities door een gemeenschappelijk verstaan van het Evangelie bijeenkomen.
De kerk belijdt telkens opnieuw in haar vieren, spreken en handelen Jezus Christus als Heer en Verlosser van de wereld en roept daarmee op tot vernieuwing van het leven in cultuur, maatschappij en staat.
De kerk getuigt voor mensen, machten en overheden van Gods beloften en geboden en zoekt daarbij de samenspraak met andere kerken.
De kerk is geroepen gestalte te geven aan haar onopgeefbare verbondenheid met het volk Israël. Als Christus-belijdende geloofsgemeenschap zoekt zij het gesprek met Israël inzake het verstaan van de Heilige Schrift, in het bijzonder betreffende de komst van het Koninkrijk van God.
Gezonden in de wereld en geroepen tot de bediening van de verzoening, getuigt de kerk in verkondiging en dienst aan alle mensen en aan alle volken van het heil in Jezus Christus.
De kerk is bij haar getuigenis in woord en daad gehouden om zich te bewegen in de weg van haar belijden.
De kerk en al haar leden zijn geroepen het belijden te toetsen bij het licht van de Heilige Schrift.
De kerk weert wat haar belijden weerspreekt.

Interestingly, some years ago the OPC explored the possibility of adding the Three Forms of Unity to the Westminster Standards as our confessional standards. After some investigation, the OPC's GA at the time decided to not add them. The reason? As it was expressed to me: "most layfolk in the OPC don't read the 3 standards we have now; it would be pointless to add 3 more."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back