What Did the Church Do Before Banks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ambrose

Puritan Board Freshman
I am interested in any resources (books or articles) that delve into how the storehouse/treasury of the church was administered prior to the outsourcing of the custodial function to banks. I would love to read about the practical aspects of how the money was collected, recorded, stored, and what internal controls and audits were performed to give account within the clergy.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

At some point in your research Chad you must look into the history of the Knights Templar as regards banking. They worked within the church but were anything but christian. They did however invent the forerunners of travelers checks. The church was not allowed to charge interest but the KTs sure did. Happy reading.

Thanks for the tip, Bob. I will definitely look into the KT's - sounds very intriguing!

I think fractional-reserve banking is a fraud. Bring back sound money and hard currency--gold, silver, platinum and precious metals!

Originally posted by Puritanhead
I think fractional-reserve banking is a fraud. Bring back sound money and hard currency--gold, silver, platinum and precious metals!

:ditto:

Sound money would be a good start. Unfortunately, a preponderance of Christians are cool with fraud as long as they can get in on the action through their investments or manage to get hired by one of the perpetrators!

Would you care to share why?

I would be happy to discuss the matter, explain myself further and elaborate if the topic comes up again... in politics for example. Otherwise, I think I'm getting the thread off topic-- as it was an inquiry about the church managing its funds.
:2cents:

I would be happy to discuss the matter, explain myself further and elaborate if the topic comes up again... in politics for example. Otherwise, I think I'm getting the thread off topic-- as it was an inquiry about the church managing its funds.
:2cents:

What poise! What restraint! You're not showing off for Dr. White, now are you?:lol::p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back