What do Joel Osteen and the Pope have in common?

Status
Not open for further replies.

C. Matthew McMahon

Christian Preacher
The False Teacher Tried and Cast, by John Brinsley

How shall I say it? Quite an awesome work, and exceedingly helpful for the church today. It supplies the Christian with tools to "try" false teachers so that they don't get duped by people like Joel Osteen, the Pope and others today (and of old) who are ravenous wolves against the church.

John Brinsley (1600-1665), the younger, was a Presbyterian puritan divine who was a powerful Reformed Gospel preacher and writer. You should get to know him.

Brinsley masterfully expounds Revelation 2:2, “And thou hast tried them which say they are Apostles, and are not, and hast found them liars.” He covers the context of the message and action of God against false teachers. He shows why many people are lead astray by false teachers, how they ought to try false teachers, the danger of being deceived, various uses and applications of the doctrine, and exhortations to stay away from false teachers. He also demonstrates how one should try false teachers by their ordinary calling, by their doctrine and by their lives.

As important as this topic was in Brinsley’s day, it is more important today with the rise of the popular television preachers as well as the internet. False teachers and armchair theologians are a dime a dozen, and they can deceive the church by flooding the media with teaching videos or simply by blogging on their website. The Christian must be well armed against such lies which weaken the church’s mission and water down the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

Puritan Shop Discount and eBook Package
The False Teacher Tried and Cast, by John Brinsley at the Puritanshop (30% off)

Kindle Version
The False Teacher Tried and Cast, by John Brinsley at Amazon

Nook Version
The False Teacher Tried and Cast, by John Brinsle at Barnes and Noble

Print Version
The False Teacher Tried and Cast, by John Brinsley Print at Lulu

TheFalseTeacherJohnBrinselyCOVER.jpg

Matthew,

Thanks for the suggested read, I will probably buy it. As an apologist I wonder what was the extent of false teaching in his day(17th century). Of course the RCC was alive and in error, but what kind of false movements were around in his time besides the RCC?

Matthew,

Thanks for the suggested read, I will probably buy it. As an apologist I wonder what was the extent of false teaching in his day(17th century). Of course the RCC was alive and in error, but what kind of false movements were around in his time besides the RCC?

There were quite a few. As a matter of fact, I'm working on a book right now which is by Ephraim Pagitt on Heresy. They dealt with quite a few different roaming heresies in their day, which, in many ways, we deal with in ours. (Remember, nothing new under the sun, just repackaged material). Here are some of his chapter heading he covers:

JESUITS
SOCINIANS
ARMINIANS
ARIANS
ADAMITES
LIBERTINES
ANTISCRIPTURIANS
SOUL SLEEPERS
FAMILISTS
DIVORCERS
PELAGIANS
ANTRITRINITARIANS