What do Reformed minds say about Regeneration?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puritanhead

Puritan Board Professor
What Reformed minds say about Regeneration?

What do famous Reformed minds say about regeneration in a nutshell? Encapsulate regeneration in a paragraph.

Edwards? Henry? Owen? Spurgeon?

I'm contemplative... and sermon drafting and brainstorming...

I got the Scripture, Ez. 36.26-27, Matt. 16.17, 1 Cor. 2.12-14, 2 Cor. 3.3,6, 2 Thess.2.13-14, Titus 3.5...

John Calvin: "God ...begins the good work in us by exciting in our hearts a desire, a love, and a study of righteousness, or (to speak more correctly) by turning, training, and guiding our hearts unto righteousness; and he completes this good work by confirming us unto perseverance."

Suggested reading:

Thomas Boston, Human Nature in Its Fourfold State, On Regeneration

Stephen Charnock, Discourses on Regeneration

John Flavel, An Interest in Christ Tested by a Consideration of the Regenerating Work of the Spirit

John Murray, Regeneration

J.C. Ryle, Regeneration

B.B. Warfield, Regeneration

Many more resources listed here.

Berkhof on the nature of regeneration in hisSummary of Christian Doctrine

In the most restricted sense it denotes that act of God by which the principle of the new life is implanted in man, and the governing disposition of the soul is made holy. In a slightly more comprehensive sense it designates, in addition to the preceding, the new birth or the first manifestation of the new life. It is a disposition of the soul, and therefore affects the whole man, I Cor. 2:14; II Cor. 4:6; Phil. 2:13; I Pet. 1:8. It is completed in a moment of time, and is not a gradual process like sanctification. Through it we pass from death into live, I John 3:14. It is a secret and inscrutable work of God that is never directly perceived by man, but can be known only by its effects. (Italics in original)

Originally posted by WrittenFromUtopia
Originally posted by Pilgrim
Ryle's Regeneration must be one of his shorter works. I'm not familiar with it.

The paperback I have is very short.

It's probably one of his tracts. During his lifetime, Ryle was largely known for producing hundreds of tracts, mostly evangelistic in nature. He's definitely one of my favorite writers. But I like reading the originals, not these newfangled modernized versions various publishers are issuing now. Ryle had a wonderful way with words, but at the same time his style was very direct and even simple. Something is lost when he's "modernized". Most of his output was after about 1850, so it's not as if he was writing in Middle English, anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back