What do you look for in a translation (a theological work translated into English)?

Discussion in 'Languages' started by Joshua Kimmich_Brexiteer, Apr 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joshua Kimmich_Brexiteer

Joshua Kimmich_Brexiteer Puritan Board Freshman

In a theological work translated into English, what do you look for?

For example, if it's a Latin-English translation of a systematic theology, would people want:

A) a doggedly faithful translation (following all the contours of Latin syntax as much as possible), so that scholars can cite it with some confidence as to its accuracy,

OR

B) a highly readable translation (perhaps missing out one or two nonessential little words here and there to help the flow, switching up the syntax a little) so that lay readers may more easily understand, and be edified?

OR

C) a hybrid of the two?

2. greenbaggins

greenbaggins Administrator Staff Member

It has to be understandable and accurate. That is always a difficult balance to achieve, but fortunately Latin is not too far removed from English. Are you planning on doing some Latin translation?

3. Dachaser

Dachaser Puritan Board Professor

It would depend if one were to use it for either scholarly research use, or for use as a pastor/teacher.

4. Joshua Kimmich_Brexiteer

@greenbaggins perhaps in the future, or perhaps another language, thanks for your thoughts

@Dachaser thanks for your thoughts, too

5. Ask Mr. Religion

Ask Mr. Religion Flatly Unflappable

I prefer option "A" for Latin translations of systematics. ;)

6. Jack K

Jack K Puritan Board Professor

Personally, I would want it to be highly readable. I have no need to see the minutiae, as I am not doing the sort of studies which might require that. If it is not readable, I probably will not put up with it for long.

7. Dachaser

Dachaser Puritan Board Professor

That would only be a requirement if one was to that book as a source to cited for scholarly publication and use.

8. Joshua Kimmich_Brexiteer

Thanks, all

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.