What do you say to someone who says: "I don't have it in my heart to believe in God"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wanted to know (given our calvinistic theology) what our response would be to such a question. I think you can see why I wanted to ask the question. In some methodologies you end up giving the sinner nothing to do. It's like a shrugging of shoulders as the answer to the question. And I don't think that's right.

I am interested in evangelism, and I want to find a consistent methodology. And this question (at least at first glance) seems to be an obstacle to calvinism. And so I was curious and discovered the evangelism of the puritans, and I wanted to see what the people here, by contrast, would give as an answer, and what they think about the puritan methodology. And this is where we are at the moment.
Thank you for clarifying where you are coming from.

Why do you assume that they come terribly close to the goal of salvation? You're either in or out, there is nothing in between.
Because some unbelievers do, and others don't; and it is to my purpose in commenting to acknowledge that fact, and to observe the acute nature of the despair under such conditions: Cry and howl... smite therefore upon thy thigh!

A comparison between some so near and some so far from opportunity is noted by Christ:

"And thou, Capernaum, which art exalted unto heaven, shalt be brought down to hell: for if the mighty works, which have been done in thee, had been done in Sodom, it would have remained until this day. But I say unto you, That it shall be more tolerable for the land of Sodom in the day of judgment, than for thee." Mt.11:23-24; cf. Mt.12:41, "The men of Nineveh shall rise in judgment with this generation, and shall condemn it."​

I previously alluded to this text: Mk.12:34, "And when Jesus saw that he answered discreetly, he said unto him, Thou art not far from the kingdom of God. And no man after that durst ask him any question." Christ is indeed drawing the absolute distinction between in and out, challenging the scribe to consider not what a handsome progress he made up to that hour on his way toward the eternal kingdom; but that he was not presently safe into it. The scribe went so far as to commend Jesus for so wise and true an answer, as he judged the Master's reply; at least, he thought he was a peer of Jesus, certainly not his disciple. For him to know the commandment, even to practice it more than most, did not obtain him reciprocal honor from Christ.

To whom much is given, much is required. Again, to suppose this means they are happier who die in sin and ignorance than those who are reminded better of the moral law, is (at best) a pathetic comparison between many tears and so many tears. The Sodomites' sins were gross and grievous; the Capernaumites' sins were seemingly milder, and were committed by them who attended weekly worship, annual feasts, and the ministry of Christ himself. All such works apart from faith brought down the wrath of God on their own heads, and sank them to the lowest depth in hell.

Again, to make such observations is no reason to avoid encouraging both law-abiding behavior of unbelievers, and a habitual attendance on the preached word (not where it merely tickles the ears). In respect of the latter, notice of the gospel is the power of God unto salvation, so no serious promotion of spiritual regeneration and health can be hoped for if it is neglected. But, as no one comes to worship for hearing the word proclaimed, bearing outwardly an infallible testament of regeneration, or lacking such an indubitable marker; the word of both law and gospel is weekly proclaimed to all and sundry, as the truth to be believed and practiced always among the saints of the Lord.

And may God see fit to use his word, in a short or a long time, to give spiritual life, joy, sanctification, and hope to every hearer. The word will accomplish whatever purpose he has for which it is sent.

I would say they have a better understanding of salvation than many unreformed Christians today.

They're right. They don't have it in their heart to repent or believe. Scriptures make it abundantly clear that nobody seeks after God (Romans 3:10-18 is a good passage to demonstrate this for them). I would emphasize that salvation is not dependent upon a "decision at the altar" or "accepting/believing" in your heart. There's no formula that you have to get right to be saved. God alone saves. Ephesians 2:1-10 would be good to go over with them.

And then, of course, prayer. Only God can save them in the end.
Young man (sorry ) this is very good what you wrote.
I would like to add, not to your statement but for myself.
Salvation does not begin with Christ! It begins with having sinned against God. Not to draw attention to myself but my wife passed away on February 2nd of 2022. Three days before in a weakened condition she motioned with her hands a said ”that the whole mountain of sin has been removed”.

Agh,
William

my wife passed away on February 2nd of 2022. Three days before in a weakened condition she motioned with her hands a said ”that the whole mountain of sin has been removed”.

Agh,
William
Bless you brother. The Lord brought my wife home February 14, 2022. She had dementia and yet the one thing she never wavered on was approaching strangers in the grocery store saying, “do you know that Jesus Christ is Lord, Son of God, and Very God? He is the living water of life forever!”

She always picked the right person. They would respond with something like, “thank you dear. I needed to hear that.”

Bless you brother. The Lord brought my wife home February 14, 2022. She had dementia and yet the one thing she never wavered on was approaching strangers in the grocery store saying, “do you know that Jesus Christ is Lord, Son of God, and Very God? He is the living water of life forever!”

She always picked the right person. They would respond with something like, “thank you dear. I needed to hear that.”
My condolences. May you be given strength in the upcoming anniversary dates. Agh,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back