What do you think about online seminary?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder how long it takes in a week to do the first module ABS (if it is compatible with a full time work)?

I will be definitely looking forward to know more about this Seminary.

A friend shared about an online distance Theological Seminary based in London, but it is very expensive.

Thank you Martin, I didn't know this, but it looks very interesting and being free is a great opportunity.

I think it's a very good idea, it's hard to believe, but TNARS looks like it's the real deal.

Larry Bray, the president is on this board, he is very knowlegable. I plan on applying soon. It looks like it will be hard work though, but if John Owen could spend 14 hours a day studying, then I can at least do 4 a day :). Larry said that they estimated that if the student were to spend 2 hours on the program everyday then it should take about 4 years to get the M.Div I'm sooooo excited!!! woooooooo!!!

What do you think about online seminaries like TNARS?

Any thoughts and comments are welcome.

In your case, Martin, where there are few Reformed folk anywhere near you, let alone a seminary, I think somewhere free and online, like TNARS, is a good option for theological education.

R.Scott Clark of Westminster California does not like the idea, because of the lack of face to face learning, and the fact that you will not have that connection with other students with similar backgrounds. However, there are several great pastors out there who never went to seminary, but if one wants to be a theologian then I think they would need to actually attend a seminary.

I think online seminary is a great idea to save money. I imagine many pastors are saddled with a substantial debt burden coming out of seminary. I think the face to face interaction can come with a cheaper price tag. :2cents:

For what it's worth, I'm in my second semester at Moody online (seeking a BS in Biblical Studies). Though not seeking a MDiv I can say that the Distance experience can be both rewarding and comparable to actually attending classes. To the best of my knowledge my distance courses follow the same syllabus as the physical classes. The downside of distance courses is lack of interaction with the instructor and the students as others have said. Moody has made strides to remedy this (as I'm sure other institutions have) by streamlining the course website to make both the instructor accessible and the other students via message boards similar to PB. They also require ministry internships which make up at least a little for the lack of instructor/student interaction.

Is distance learning valuable? I think so. Would I seek a MDiv online? I would strongly consider it with prayer and sober investigation. Seminary is in my opinion a different dynamic than say a BS/BA program. I think there are important things that must be considered when one seeks a degree that will pave the way for ministry.

I think TNARS is a great program. One I considered some time back. Definitely see what it can offer you Martin!

I have a friend who just retired (65 years old) who believes he is called to the ministry. His health isn't the best and he wants to enter the ministry soon. I've suggested a number of online Bible colleges. I'll see how he does and report back his progress. BTW, he is not reformed, quite the opposite. God bless him anyway.

TNARS looks pretty cool in my book. If your church/denom accepts it and ordains you then why not? I looked into some of the classes and they certainly require plenty of work and study.

I would recomend an established & recognised distence program. It will usually differ from an on-line program in that some face time is required, and it will be more likely to be accredited.

A "mail-order" style of program of just reading & writing assignments is not normally accepted as transfer credit to a traditional school.

....waiting for Dr. Clark to chime in....

:D

Martin, see some of the previous posts on this subject. Distance learning can have many struggles that you don't anticipate. Much extra effort has to be given to make up for the lack of everyday interaction with Profs and other students. Also, distance seminary requires EXTREME discipline if one is to make progress without the deadlines you get on a campus.

Mark

As a student in an online seminary program (RTS), I can say it has it's good points: 1) Felxibility of schedule - it's hard to take traditional classes when you're spending every other year in the Middle East and 2) No moving my family for school.

The big negative is that (as Dr. Clark has pointed out) you don't get the "face time" with the profs. In my case, I'm blessed with a comitted pastor who spends an awful lot of time with me, helping me muddle through the material and challenging my thinking. Without the support and input of yuor elders, this type of education is nowhere near as edifying.

I should point out, however, that I am NOT seeking ordination, just a MA in religion to broaden and refine my understanding of God's Word.

-----Added 2/11/2009 at 08:02:30 EST-----

....waiting for Dr. Clark to chime in....

:D

Martin, see some of the previous posts on this subject. Distance learning can have many struggles that you don't anticipate. Much extra effort has to be given to make up for the lack of everyday interaction with Profs and other students. Also, distance seminary requires EXTREME discipline if one is to make progress without the deadlines you get on a campus.

Mark

:agree:

I should point out, however, that I am NOT seeking ordination, just a MA in religion to broaden and refine my understanding of God's Word.

I'm in the same position. Taking years out of the workforce to study just isn't practical when I am never going to become an Elder. Also there are no Reformed seminaries and no decent non-Reformed ones near me. So, for personal edification, I'm looking at the possibility of online seminary.

Im a student and have been extemely blessed by TNARS. My income is scarce to none lol and this seminary fulfills the need for those less fortunate to go to some $40,000 which is only attainable by our rich and wealthy brothas (no hateration here lol) I am thankful to God for the vision and heartful desire for TNARS to get men educated for God's service.

In Denmark? :confused:
There is no such thing :(

Sure there is! You! :)

I looked into TNARS and liked what I saw. I actually attend a liberal seminary so my discussions with the professors is always "interesting." Instead of TNARS I am applying to Whitefield. I do not need to be in two M.Div programs and Whitefield has the MA or MAR. The "hows" of ministry is the same regardless of the "whys." However your theology will guide how you approach a situation. I am looking for a better "why" approach and that is in the reformed tradition.

I agree with the negatives, but for some that is all that is available to them. And even if it's not totally accepted, it should be considered at least a stepping stone. The other option for these people would be nothing or the occasional Bible study, if it didn't conflict with their work schedule.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back