What do you think of Bob Jones College/University

Status
Not open for further replies.
P
Dearest Leah,

Thomas is correct - Bob Jones University is the flagship and probably the most famous Independent Fundamentalist Baptist school.

I could not more strongly advise against having any association with Bob Jones University or any Independent Fundamentalist Baptist organization. The Independent Fundamental Baptist groups can be among the most dangerously legalistic and spiritually damaging of American churches. I know a number of individuals who have escaped from out of under IFB legalism and they can't even express in words what a relief it is to escape. Of all denominations, I would avoid them more than most other. PLEASE please educate yourself and don't make this mistake. If you are not familiar with IFB's, they are the type of legalistic churches that create man made laws that they use to bind people unreasonably. Some teach families unbiblical roles and power of husbands over wives and children, where women are forced into unbiblical places of submission. We believe in submission but not the way I've heard they often do it.

Example of how far they go per Student Handbook per Wiki. Students may be kicked out for these:
- Men under the age of 25 are required to shave and forbidden to grow any facial hair. If they grow facial hair, they can expect to be kicked out of the seminary.
- These places often require dress code. Women are forbidden to wear pants and must wear skirts.
- Going to the movies is forbidden/sin? in the one's I've read about.
- Drinking any alcohol is forbidden. Problem is Jesus drank

When my brothers say "they are not legalistic" they mean that you won't hear someone stand up and promote "works salvation" intentionally. This is in terms of justification. But when the rest of us call them "legalistic," we are speaking with regard to sanctification. We are referring to their binding one's conscience and enforcing unreasonable rules upon individuals.

Bob Jones University - read the history and understand though they have made changes (no longer anti-black or forbidding interracial dating until the year 2000 per Wiki), but this is the history and I would argue, the "spirit" of the organization. Very legalistic.

Bob Jones is an IFB institution and this fact is fully disclosed. This is more than enough reason for a reformed Christian to avoid this school, or at least to proceed with extreme caution. It is not, however, necessary for us to invent additional reasons based on questionable sources (Wikipedia is not a reputable source). No doubt some others could invent equally ridiculous reasons to avoid your own institution.

P
Dearest Leah,

Thomas is correct - Bob Jones University is the flagship and probably the most famous Independent Fundamentalist Baptist school.

I could not more strongly advise against having any association with Bob Jones University or any Independent Fundamentalist Baptist organization. The Independent Fundamental Baptist groups can be among the most dangerously legalistic and spiritually damaging of American churches. I know a number of individuals who have escaped from out of under IFB legalism and they can't even express in words what a relief it is to escape. Of all denominations, I would avoid them more than most other. PLEASE please educate yourself and don't make this mistake. If you are not familiar with IFB's, they are the type of legalistic churches that create man made laws that they use to bind people unreasonably. Some teach families unbiblical roles and power of husbands over wives and children, where women are forced into unbiblical places of submission. We believe in submission but not the way I've heard they often do it.

Example of how far they go per Student Handbook per Wiki. Students may be kicked out for these:
- Men under the age of 25 are required to shave and forbidden to grow any facial hair. If they grow facial hair, they can expect to be kicked out of the seminary.
- These places often require dress code. Women are forbidden to wear pants and must wear skirts.

When my brothers say "they are not legalistic" they mean that you won't hear someone stand up and promote "works salvation" intentionally. This is in terms of justification. But when the rest of us call them "legalistic," we are speaking with regard to sanctification. We are referring to their binding one's conscience and enforcing unreasonable rules upon individuals.

Bob Jones University - read the history and understand though they have made changes (no longer anti-black or forbidding interracial dating until the year 2000 per Wiki), but this is the history and I would argue, the "spirit" of the organization. Very legalistic.

Bob Jones is an IFB institution and this fact is fully disclosed. This is more than enough reason for a reformed Christian to avoid this school, or at least to proceed with extreme caution. It is not, however, necessary for us to invent additional reasons based on questionable sources (Wikipedia is not a reputable source). No doubt some others could invent equally ridiculous reasons to avoid your own institution.
The fact about interracial dating is a rather indisputable fact (regardless of source), so I'd say it's a stretch to say psycheives is making up "ridiculous reasons."

For more sources see: http://www.nbcnews.com/id/27845030/...univ-apologizes-racist-policies/#.VetOMTZREdU and http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/WPcap/2000-03/05/096r-030500-idx.html

It is not, however, necessary for us to invent additional reasons based on questionable sources

Play fair, and forego the Ad Hominem, por favor. If something isn't correct, please correct it. I've posted a link to the Student Directory for easy reference. But don't suggest that it is not correct because she references Wikipedia, unless it is, in fact, not correct.

I spent nearly 3 years at BJU, I went to BJU summer school extension in the 1980s, and my pastor was a BJU graduate and a very good friend of the Joneses--this was long before I became reformed. I would not recommend this school. I will not say any more lest I say things I shouldn't. If you want to know more, please pm me.

P
Dearest Leah,

The fact about interracial dating is a rather indisputable fact (regardless of source), so I'd say it's a stretch to say psycheives is making up "ridiculous reasons."

For more sources see: http://www.nbcnews.com/id/27845030/...univ-apologizes-racist-policies/#.VetOMTZREdU and http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/WPcap/2000-03/05/096r-030500-idx.html

I attended school there in the late 1970s and early 1980s. There was a strict non interracial dating policy then. However, I did not witness any type of racism, and I had friends while I was a student there of all races. I don't know what it is like now.

Leah, it occurs to me that you are probably thinking about Bob Jones Memorial Bible College.
http://www.bjmbc.org

While there is patently a connection between the schools, it probably needs to be borne in mind that not everything (good or bad) will carry over from Greenville to Quezon City. The student handbook might be quite different, for instance.

It is not, however, necessary for us to invent additional reasons based on questionable sources

Play fair, and forego the Ad Hominem, por favor. If something isn't correct, please correct it. I've posted a link to the Student Directory for easy reference. But don't suggest that it is not correct because she references Wikipedia, unless it is, in fact, not correct.

Perhaps my post came off as being harsher than I intended. I was simply pointing out that theology should be a sufficient judge of the worthiness of an institution without feeling the need to look for other reasons. I was not suggesting that the reasons given were false, just that the source was questionable and that the whole exercise was unnecessary.

Leah:
I would recommend that you look through the student handbook yourself to see if it is a lifestyle that you would be comfortable with. (Calvinism is specifically addressed), but also see student conduct, the pass system, etc.

http://www.bju.edu/life-faith/student-handbook.pdf

Wow! "Hello - we're going to micro-manage every single minute of your life while you're here. Enjoy!"

They even actually tell them to close their window blinds after dark. I'm amazed they don't tell students how many times they're allowed to inhale and exhale per minute!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back