What do you think of Dr. Sproul's Romans Commentary?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bookman

Puritan Board Freshman
I was excited when I saw the posts announcing this commentary, but once it came out, I never saw any reviews or reactions. For those of you who have read or are reading it, what do you think? I haven't yet purchased it and would like some feedback. Thanks.

apparently no one else has read it either. 30 views and no comments, so i just had to leave one. Unfortunately I am no different in that I haven't read it but if anyone wants to mail me a copy, I will glady do some :book2:!

Yes, I find it somewhat strange that no one has commented on it after so much excitement preceding its release.

FYI...Amazon.com has 6 reviews (as of this posting on 1/16/10) on Dr. Sproul's Commentary of ROMANS. Of course, this is not our PB take on it, but some of the reviews on Amazon are interesting. I'm looking forward to our PB reviews on his ROMANS book.

I just received his Commentary on JOHN and I am loving it!! The format is easy for anyone to read and understand. There is both exegetical depth and warm-hearted devotion in his approach. His comments are a rich treasure. Again, this is referring to his Commentary on JOHN.

It is sermonic, consisting in a book version of his sermons at St. Andrews. But, R.C. has a gift for clarity and explanatory ease of understanding. So, pretty cool. I have both John and Romans but am teaching Ruth currently.

Last edited:
It is sermonic, consisting in a book version of his sermons at St. Andrews. But, R.C. has a gift for clarity and explanatory ease of understanding. So, pretty cool. I have both John and Romans but am teaching Ruth currently.

What are you teaching her?

Last edited by a moderator:
I might look at buying this commentary. It will be my first, and I'd love to get more out of the Book of Romans. FYI, the Kindle edition is $10 ($25 off) on Amazon at the moment.

amazon.com reviews are all right for the masses, but they are nothing compared to the erudite and spiritually-discerning reviews of PB members! However, I may add, such reviews are sadly and evidently not forthcoming.

I'm reading it along with his John commentary. They are both VERY edifying.

My pastor is doing a series on Romans in a few months so I'm getting a head start. I'm currently studying through Romans with Sproul's commentary as my lead, while supplementing it with MacArthur's commentary, Henry's, Calvin's and the study notes from my ESV and Reformation Study bibles. My current pace is about 7 verses a day, so I should be done by 2013. ;)

I just found that if you download the Kindle preview of this book (whether for your Kindle, PC or iPhone), you can preview the first 3 chapters, which cover Romans 1:1-25.

My pastor is doing a series on Romans in a few months so I'm getting a head start. I'm currently studying through Romans with Sproul's commentary as my lead, while supplementing it with MacArthur's commentary, Henry's, Calvin's and the study notes from my ESV and Reformation Study bibles. My current pace is about 7 verses a day, so I should be done by 2013. ;)

I strongly recommend Luther's commentary on Romans. Short and very readable. It's a gem and made me sorry he didn't write more commentary. Romans and Galatians are the only ones I'm aware of and both are just excellent.

I strongly recommend Luther's commentary on Romans. Short and very readable. It's a gem and made me sorry he didn't write more commentary. Romans and Galatians are the only ones I'm aware of and both are just excellent.

I had no idea that Luther even wrote any commentaries... I will def. go check that out. Thanks for the heads up!

I had no idea that Luther even wrote any commentaries... I will def. go check that out. Thanks for the heads up!

I've been advised by personal message that Luther wrote many, lesser known, commentaries, not just the more popular ones on Romans and Galatians. I point this out not to derail the thread but to correct any false impressions I may have left, out of ignorance, in my prior post.

I just ordered Dr. Sprouls Romans commentary on Friday. Give me a month to receive and read it and I'll post my impressions. I can't believe no one has read it and posted a report yet.

I bought the Kindle edition and have been slowly reading through it. I'm a little reluctant to post any sort of review because I've never read a commentary before. Nonetheless, I love it so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back