What do you use in church for “the bread”?

What do you use in church for “the bread”?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I chose matzoh. I'm not sure, exactly. It's hard and makes a satisfying crunch when you bite into it. At least we don't use those pre-made packaged things that have a shelf-life of 300 years.

Our church uses gluten-free matzoh, but the pastor breaks a normal loaf up front when he does the liturgy (symbolic I guess).

The church I came to the Reformed faith in uses cubed white bread.

Episcopal churches usually use the wafer, but some Presbyterians do also. It’s not messy at all, but it is… different.

I find myself torn between understanding the benefits of the sterile individual prepackaged "wafers" but with it comes a level of sterile community far from the community of sharing the common bread Jesus broke

We just started back (today) using a home-baked loaf of bread like we used to do before lockdowns. Our pastor holds it up and breaks it and then we break off pieces as it is passed around. There are also gluten-free pieces in the plate for those with allergies.

It sure beats stale cubes of sandwich bread in little communion cups.

There are also gluten-free pieces in the plate for those with allergies.
If it's on the same plate, that's a pretty high risk of cross contamination for those with a real allergy. But it shouldn't be an issue for those into fad diets.

If it's on the same plate, that's a pretty high risk of cross contamination for those with a real allergy. But it shouldn't be an issue for those into fad diets.
That's a good point! I suppose nobody at the church has that serious of an allergy then. Maybe a sensitivity? I don't know...

Yes cross contamination is a big deal for people with a serious allergy like celiac's, but less important for those with issues digesting wheat (such as a low-fodmap diet for IBS).

We put pieces of gluten free bread in a miniature baggies to avoid cross contamination. We've never had any complaints. It is mainly one family where celiac/gluten sensitivity are a major issue. That family makes the bread, so the issue is taken care of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back