What does "baptize" mean?

What does "baptize" mean?

• "Baptize" means "to immerse." Period.

Votes: 16 64.0%
  • "Baptize" originally meant "to immerse", but during the N.T. era allowed for broader meaning.

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • "Baptize" means "to wash", by whatever means.

Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Huh?

Votes: 1 4.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Christusregnat

Puritan Board Professor
So, I wanted to find out what the statistics look like on the PB. What is the prevailing opinion among the baptist brothers on the board?

Cheers,

Adam

Chris,

Most Baptists will likely vote answer #1, but we do believe it means much more than JUST immersion. But the proper mode is immersion. :D

Chris,

Most Baptists will likely vote answer #1, but we do believe it means much more than JUST immersion. But the proper mode is immersion. :D

Yes, the options are needlessly restrictive.

It can mean dip, immerse, totally cover, submerge, to make totally wet, and yes, also wash (usually done by making totally wet, right?).

If I remember correctly, Rantizo, sprinkle NEVER refers to water in the NT, but only to blood.

Baptism means to immerse. But, it does not always mean to be completely covered. Xenothon used the word to describe the wading of soldiers through a river. They were immersed, but only so far.

If I am not mistaken the word was used in the Septuagint in the cleansing ritual of houses in the old testament that were found to have some uncleaness. In that case it wasn't defined as immersion the way we immerse people.

Well in my opinion it means immerse, but they still sprinkle in the church I attend at he moment in want of a reformed church.

I believe this is the passage of scripture.

(Lev 14:51) And he shall take the cedar wood, and the hyssop, and the scarlet, and the living bird, and dip them in the blood of the slain bird, and in the running water, and sprinkle the house seven times:

(Lev 14:52) And he shall cleanse the house with the blood of the bird, and with the running water, and with the living bird, and with the cedar wood, and with the hyssop, and with the scarlet:

(Lev 14:53) But he shall let go the living bird out of the city into the open fields, and make an atonement for the house: and it shall be clean.

(Lev 14:51) And he shall take the cedar wood, and the hyssop, and the scarlet, and the living bird, and dip them in the blood of the slain bird, and in the running water, and sprinkle the house seven times:

(Lev 14:52) And he shall cleanse the house with the blood of the bird, and with the running water, and with the living bird, and with the cedar wood, and with the hyssop, and with the scarlet:

(Lev 14:53) But he shall let go the living bird out of the city into the open fields, and make an atonement for the house: and it shall be clean.

Mr. Snyder,

The word there is "bapto" vs. "baptidzo". It is the earlier cognate of baptidzo.

Cheers,

Adam

-----Added 12/30/2008 at 04:07:03 EST-----

Chris,

Yes, the options are needlessly restrictive.

It can mean dip, immerse, totally cover, submerge, to make totally wet, and yes, also wash (usually done by making totally wet, right?).

If I remember correctly, Rantizo, sprinkle NEVER refers to water in the NT, but only to blood.

Pergs,

Do you want me to add your option to the list? If so, how do I change a poll?

Adam

Mr. Snyder,

The word there is "bapto" vs. "baptidzo". It is the earlier cognate of baptidzo.

Cheers,

Adam

Quick check on my handy Septuagint shows the word as βάψει or Bapsei. The AV translates that as "dip:" "and dip them in the blood of the slain bird. . . ."

The word for clean in v. 53 looks like καθαρός or katharos.

I can't make out "cleanse" in v. 52, but it looks something like aphagniei.

For what it's worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back