What does "mediatorial" in "mediatorial kingship of Christ" refer to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charles Johnson

Puritan Board Junior

What is being mediated? What are the parties on either side? I am interested in mediatorial kingship as it relates to both the Church and the State.

Last edited by a moderator:
Charles, His Kingly Mediatorial role consists in ruling with the sceptre of righteousness; the sceptre of His word; the delivering of His people from the hands of His enemies; the bruising of Satan underfoot by His omnipotence; the mediating to His own of all spiritual blessings, virtues and graces for their sustenance and warfare, and inscribing on their hearts His truth and likeness.

Interesting question and answers! Would we not also consider the mediation of the covenant as part of Christ's kingly role? A sovereign enters a covenant for His people.

Jean, your observation prompted me to think of Hebrews 2.

First, we see he is a king, God put "all things in subjection under his feet." (2:8)

But he is a suffering king, made lower than angels for the purpose of dying for man. (2:9)

In this role he is a direct mediator, standing before God "not ashamed to call them, brethren" and declaring God's name "unto my brethren..." (2:11-12)

And finally, he is a "merciful and faithful high priest in things pertaining to God, to make reconciliation for the sins of the people." (2:17)

Christ the king stands before God and says "these are my people," "you gave them to me and I present them to you."

In essence, this King declares to the righteous God that the faithful are his brothers (and sisters). He also declares (reveals) God to these same people--a two-way mediation. All of this is joined with his acknowledgement of that ancient covenant of works, which he pays with his own body and work, taking the children God had given him into the Holy presence of God.

What is being mediated? What are the parties on either side? I am interested in mediatorial kingship as it relates to both the Church and the State.

Ive asked this question in regards to the RP distinctive.
https://puritanboard.com/threads/mediatorial-kingship-mediator.92064/

Rev. Winzer gives a good response in which I find to be the more biblical response. If we want to understand mediator “proper”, I think the confession lays that out well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back