What Does Your Church Use for Elements in Communion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The use of modern matso is interesting: at best, it reflects a fencing upon fencing with elaborate details for how quickly the bread is cooked, piercing so air won't puff it, etc.

Crackers is what I partake in, and the rest of the congregation partakes of grape juice along with the crackers. Praying that I will be able soon to partake of the proper element of wine.

I see a potential problem with the usage of a common cup bc of flu/colds/meningitis. People can have the beginnings of these contagions without realizing they have them and spread them to the rest of the congregation.

I agree with this. Common cup not a good idea. I guess they didn't know about germs yet in the 16th and 17th centuries.

We use unleavened (I think) crackers and wine and grape juice in those little plastic shot-glass-like thingees.

I agree with this. Common cup not a good idea. I guess they didn't know about germs yet in the 16th and 17th centuries.

For those who use a common cup, I'm curious as to why. Would the disciples at the last supper not have each had their own cup of wine?

For those who use a common cup, I'm curious as to why. Would the disciples at the last supper not have each had their own cup of wine?
It is simply trying to keep close to the original institution. Although there are some who import religious significance to it too.
https://reformedbooksonline.com/?s=common+cup
https://www.puritanboard.com/search/225145/?q=common+cup&o=relevance

I see a potential problem with the usage of a common cup bc of flu/colds/meningitis. People can have the beginnings of these contagions without realizing they have them and spread them to the rest of the congregation.
Not a nurse, so the most I can say is that I do not know of any who have become ill due to a suspicion of using the common cup. The below article has some detail concerning the healthiness of the common cup, although I do not have the medical knowledge to verify it. One of the threads linked above also brings up the point about germs carried from breathing on and handling the bread.
http://www.puritans.net/news/commoncup050605.htm

Calvin had to deal with this but I forget if it had to do with suspending the sacrament in time of plague or if it had to do with those afraid to partake because of such illness going around the congregation anding allow such to partake first (not sure that is a solution if everyone is afraid of getting sick), or if both pertained to Calvin's Geneva, but I read something like that recently. I don't think there are any properties that prevent sharing germs and getting sick in wine or the cup (I think on a older thread on this topic someone linked to a Lutheran who was a MD who flatly disputed the idea germs were not shared); certainly given what we know about germs on hands, everyone handling the bread is just as much an occasion to pass the germs

Like all historic Anglican Churches we use wine [either port or sherry] and unleavened wafers. We use a common cup, a silver chalice. Allow me to note, silver has antimicrobial qualities not found in steel, bronze, or chrome.

Wine (Pinot Noir, multiple small cups) and Matzo (gluten-free) that are broken by the deacon in the front of the congregation. No intinction.

everyone handling the bread is just as much an occasion to pass the germs

That's why I try to scope out where they will start a new platter, or find a non-picked over area on the platter. And after cleaning up the used cups, it's hand sanitizer, then soap and water, then another shot of the sanitizer.

Although the original post explicitly said the following, I'll point out that, in our congregation, if someone is sick, or has been sick, he usually drinks from the cup last. We had just such an instance when we celebrated the Supper a couple of weeks ago.

And I'd rather this not become a debate on what should be used. That is not my purpose. I think we are all aware of the different views relating to that question.

in our congregation, if someone is sick, or has been sick, he usually drinks from the cup last. We had just such an instance when we celebrated the Supper a couple of weeks ago.

An excellent instance of the Supper being the Lord's Supper and not an opportunity for self-interest (i.e., 1 Cor 11.20). That is lovely, Tyler. Thanks for sharing that encouraging account.

I love seeing the saints partake at the Table. It's one of my absolute favorite aspects of eldership. Sweet moments of weak and strong together feeding on Christ by faith.

Regular bread broken into pieces and red wine in the thimbles. We also have grape juice.

We use a common bread and fermented wine from a common cup.
I wish we had Common Cup and Common Bread ;( I'm glad your church is faithful to the Regulative Principle on this particular issue. I whole heartily believe this is what Scripture clearly teaches on how we are commanded to distribute the elements.

We use wine in thimble cups and grape juice in center ring and cut up white sandwich bread. We practice weekly communion.

For those of you who do common cup, do you find it strange to share your saliva with other women, and having women sharing their saliva with other men? It's just a mental hurdle that stands out to me that I would have to consider if set before me. With men I would have no problem, but with women, that's a different story. Kind of like I wouldn't share a milkshake with any woman who's not my wife.

For those of you who do common cup, do you find it strange to share your saliva with other women, and having women sharing their saliva with other men? It's just a mental hurdle that stands out to me that I would have to consider if set before me. With men I would have no problem, but with women, that's a different story. Kind of like I wouldn't share a milkshake with any woman who's not my wife.

Christ instituted this action for the purpose of "sharing;" that is a part of what koinonia/communion means -- joint participation. Take away the common cup or loaf and you still have the moral symbolism connected with it. By moral intention you are still "sharing" with other people. Not only other women, but other men are involved also. This indicates that the "sharing" is on the level of what "brethren" have in common. There is nothing here to even hint that the action intrudes on the exclusive domain of the marital bond.

We use common cup at our Church. We use a silver chalice. Someone who is sick that week will voluntarily use an individual cup.

I go back to the verse:

“In the same way also [Jesus] took the cup after supper, and when He had given thanks, He gave it to them, saying: ‘Drink of it, all of you; this cup is the new testament in My blood, which is shed for you for the forgiveness of sins’”

When you mention the milkshake... I'm curious as to how many others find this uncomfortable? What kind of situation were you in when this happened? It's funny because when I read this I was reminded of years ago when Alma (my wife) and I were out to dinner with some friends, and her friend (a woman) said something along the line of "here try mine", and she had used the same fork.... now, is this considered "wrong"?

I guess I'm just thinking that I personally wouldn't share a drink with my wife's friend who happens to be a girl. Though it isn't sensual, I just have a tough time imagining sharing saliva with a woman who's not my wife. That's just me though. I was seeing your thoughts on it.

My refusal to consent to add-in grape juice along with wine in the Lord's Supper was one of the factors at play in my call being dissolved.

A family invites you to a dinner party. You say, "Can I bring anything?" They say, "Yes, please. A bottle of wine would be great." You show up with a bottle of grape juice. Have you honored your host?

Last edited:
Like all historic Anglican Churches we use wine [either port or sherry] and unleavened wafers. We use a common cup, a silver chalice. Allow me to note, silver has antimicrobial qualities not found in steel, bronze, or chrome.
You're correct about this. I have clothes that have silver woven in them which kills bacteria.

My refusal to consent to add-in grape juice along with wine in the Lord's Supper was one of the factors at play in my call being dissolved.

A family invites you to a dinner party. You say, "Can I bring anything?" They say, "Yes, please. A bottle of wine would be great." You show up with a bottle of grape juice. Have you honored your host?

Now that is a tough situation. Tyranny of the RE's where they take responsibility that they ought not to take.

At my church, there is a rotation schedule among the ladies which determines who will bake the communion bread for the week. During the service, pastor splits the loaf and the elders distribute it to the congregation.

We drink from tiny cups of wine. There are also tiny cups of grape juice, and they are specifically set aside for those who cannot have wine (it causes flare-ups of symptoms of several members' illnesses). Even those are further diluted with water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back