What Hideous Power is Second Only to God's Almighty Power?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed Walsh

Puritan Board Senior
Greetings,

Preface

Some may disagree, and I want to hear thoughts.
This ides was a meditation from my morning devotions about a week ago.
I disclaim any authoritative intentions in presenting my thoughts,
and will gladly stand corrected if shown to be wrong.

Questions

What is the most powerful force in existence that is second only to the unlimited and uncreated power of God the Thrice Holy One and his revelation to man, the Bible? God's mighty angelic host? Is it Satan? Is it, man? Man, who alone is created in the image of God? Man, of whom Psalm 8:5 [KJV] says was made a little lower than the 'angles,' or, heavenly beings as translated in the ESV. The actual word is 'elohiym,' which is translated angels only in this one place in the Bible; but translated as God 2,346 times. Alternatively, is it none of the above?

I think the correct answer is SIN.

Sin has so corrupted fallen man, made in God's image, that his heart is now deceitful above all things and desperately wicked and its depths unfathomable. (Jeremiah 17:9). Not only that but we, who have the first fruits of the Spirit, struggle in bondage all our life sin's power.

Not even the New Creation planted in our hearts by God can completely overcome sin's power, which dwells in what Paul calls this wretched body of death. (Romans 7:24) The Apostle describes it as a LAW that like the law of gravity is always active. However, unlike gravity, Paul found that this law is variable but to somewhat predictable—"I find then a law, (νόμος) that, when I would do good, evil is present with me." (Romans 7:21)

Even the furthest reaches of the whole created universe itself is in an endless cycle of bondage to decay, and along with us groans, earnestly desiring deliverance from this bondage as we wait eagerly for adoption as sons, the redemption of our bodies. For in this hope we were saved. (Romans 8:19-24)

It has taken me many years and very dark times to come to what I'm sure is only a partial realization of this terrible power. As I said in a recent post, I could almost wish that other Christians would not find this out. But, wonder of wonders, where sin abounded grace did much more abound. (Romans 5:20) Oh the love of God that spared not his only son but delivered Him up for us all. So Jesus, who for the joy set before him endured the cross. (Hebrew 12:2) We should never think of God as some cosmic philanthropist who decided to help us in our great need. Rather, God's love is the same toward us as toward His son Jesus,' whose love for us is deep and everlasting—far beyond what we might expect. Although Jesus' love for the Church is many-faceted, it includes a romantic love that earnestly, and eagerly awaits the day when we will be enabled fully to love Him in return with the same passion with which He cherishes us and will forever be delighted with His spotless, perfect, suitable, bone of his bone and flesh of his flesh, bride.

Ephesians 5:31-32
31 For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh.
32 This is a great mystery: but I speak concerning Christ and the church.

Last edited:
A famous martyr (sadly, I can't remember his name) about to be burned at the stake, was asked by the man preparing to light the fire, "Are you afraid?"

He replied, "I fear nothing but sin".

Why not the devil?

Several reasons.

1. We have been delivered from his kingdom of darkness.
  2. Even Satan's attempts to harm us are overruled by God and work out for our good.
  3. Satan can not make us sin.
  4. We, on the other hand, are unable not to sin.
  5. We are unable to resist all sin. Our flesh, as Paul calls it, often overcomes our new nature and, in the sense that Paul means it, we are still slaves to sin all our lives. Sin has the force of law.
  6. No provision is granted to even the choicest saint this life to be completely free from sin. (See Romans 7)

I have no free time to be more detailed. Gotta get back to work.

A famous martyr (sadly, I can't remember his name) about to be burned at the stake, was asked by the man preparing to light the fire, "Are you afraid?"

He replied, "I fear nothing but sin".
"Few of Chrysostom’s mind, who told the empress, Nil nisi peccatum timeo, I fear nothing but sin; or of Basil’s, who told the emperor, God threatened hell, whereas he threatened but a prison." - John Flavel. Pneumatologia: A Treatise on the Soul of Man.

"Few of Chrysostom’s mind, who told the empress, Nil nisi peccatum timeo, I fear nothing but sin; or of Basil’s, who told the emperor, God threatened hell, whereas he threatened but a prison." - John Flavel. Pneumatologia: A Treatise on the Soul of Man.
Dear Reformed Bookworm,

The story I told about a Martyr in England, as I recall, is true.

My poor old brain can't remember his name and it is vexing.

I have been praying and praying someone here will remember.

He was just about to be lit on fire and that was his response to the question, "Are you afraid?".

Do you think he was quoting what you shared?

In Christ, Marie

Dear Reformed Bookworm,

The story I told about a Martyr in England, as I recall, is true.

My poor old brain can't remember his name and it is vexing.

I have been praying and praying someone here will remember.

He was just about to be lit on fire and that was his response to the question, "Are you afraid?".

Do you think he was quoting what you shared?

In Christ, Marie

Nowhere did I question the validity. I just remembered reading a similar quote by Chrysostom in Flavel's works. Give me some time, and I will research it further.

I didn't question the validity. I just remembered reading a similiar quote by Chrysostom in Flavel's works. Give me some time and I will research it further.
Please do not misunderstand .... I LOVE what you shared.

I hope you will be the answer to my prayers and discover the identity.

It is such a vivid memory.

Last edited:

It is such a vivid memory, except for the stupid old part of my brain that can't remember names anymore.

I will certainly do my best. The pleasure would be all mine if I could help.

It is such a vivid memory, except for the stupid old part of my brain that can't remember names anymore.
The Puritan, William Bridge, gives an account of the same story in volume two of his works.

"No, for discouragement itself is a sin, another sin, a gospel
sin ; now my sin against the law, is no just cause why I
should sin against the gospel. I confess, indeed, there is
much evil in every sin, the least sin is worse than the greatest
affliction ; afflictions, judgments and punishments are but the
claws of this lion ; it is more contrary to God than the misery
of hell: Chrysostom had so great a sense of the evil of it,
that when the empress sent him a threatening message, Go,
tell her, said he, Nil nisi peccatum metuo : I fear nothing but
sin.
And, in some respects, the sins of the godly are worse
than the sins of others, for they grieve the Spirit more, they
dishonour Christ more, they grieve the saints more, they
wound the name of God more, they are more against the
love, and grace, and favour of God than other men's sins are."

“The god of this world has blinded the minds of the unbelievers” (2 Corinthians 4:4),

“The prince of the power of the air . . . is now at work in the sons of disobedience” (Ephesians 2:2).

The bible links unbelief and disobedience (sin) as being under Satan's power.

Sin is an impersonal force, but Satan is a personal being. Therefore, I would say that Satan is more powerful than sin, since he uses it to his own purposes and even unbelief and sin are linked to his doing.

Why am I wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back