What is a rich one-sentence answer to the question: What does it mean that God is love?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polanus1561

Puritan Board Junior
There isn't an explicit confessional answer to this, so I would love your thoughts. What if a teenager asked you this question?

There isn't an explicit confessional answer to this, so I would love your thoughts. What if a teenager asked you this question?
I would tell him or her that when we see an elderly couple faithfully married for many years, perhaps one of them terminally ill... when we see a mother holding her newborn baby... when we see a father donating bone marrow to save his son... when we see a soldier taking a grenade blast to protect his comrade... and when we see Christ hanging on the cross...

That's what God is like.

Somehow, that's the clearest picture of God we can get, prior to our meeting Him in glory. That nothing in our life experience looks more like God than those moments.

Just got off work, so kind of tired. Dont know if you downloaded Puritan Search yet, but searching for "God is Love," returned 397 works with it included. If you have it, give it a shot. It may help you find what the Puritans & Non-Conformists had to say about the issue. Just too tired to go through them right now.

iiiiiiiiiiii.jpg

God is love in such a way that all that God commands are the distinct definitions of genuine love revealed to man; and all those things that go against his commands are contrary to love and can be defined as genuine hatred of his nature; so that, the more we are sanctified, the more lovely we become, until that day of glorification in which we will be like Jesus; who is perfected love personified.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back