What is repentance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam Olive

Puritan Board Freshman
Interested in gathering some good definitions/paragraphs on what repentance it?
Current favorites are:

Its roots were planted in godly sorrow, its issue was amendment of life, its essence consisted in a radical change of mind and heart towards sin (BENJAMIN WARFIELD)

Repentance is that mighty change in mind, heart and life, wrought by the Spirit of God. RICHARD TRENCH (1807–1886)

Thomas Watson:

For a further amplification, know that repentance is a spiritual medicine made up of six special ingredients:

1. Sight of sin
2. Sorrow for sin
3. Confession of sin
4. Shame for sin
5. Hatred for sin
6. Turning from sin

If any one ingredient is left out, it loses its virtue.

WLC 76: What is repentance unto life?

Answer: Repentance unto life is a saving grace 1, wrought in the heart of a sinner by the Spirit 2 and Word of God 3, whereby, out of the sight and sense, not only of the danger 4, but also of the filthiness and odiousness of his sins 5, and upon the apprehension of God’s mercy in Christ to such as are penitent 6, he so grieves for 7 and hates his sins 8, as that he turns from them all to God 9, purposing and endeavoring constantly to walk with him in all the ways of new obedience. 10

1. 2 Timothy 2:25
  2. Zechariah 12:10
  3. Acts 11:18; Acts 11:20-21
  4. Ezekiel 18:28; Ezekiel 18:30; Ezekiel 18:32; Luke 15:17-18; Hosea 2:6-7
  5. Ezekiel 36:31; Isaiah 30:22
  6. Joel 2:12-13
  7. Jeremiah 31:18-19
  8. 2 Corinthians 7:11
  9. Acts 26:18; Ezekiel 14:6; 1 Kings 8:47-48
  10. Psalm 119:6; Psalm 119:59; Psalm 119:128; Luke 1:6; 2 Kings 23:25

Heidelberg Catechism
Q 88.
What is the true repentance or conversion of man?
A.
It is the dying of the old nature
and the coming to life of the new.

1 Rom 6:1-11; 1 Cor 5:7; 2 Cor 5:17; Eph 4:22-24; Col 3:5-10.

Thinking of the penitential psalms, especially 51, I think that it's important to note that repentance (that Spirit-led "change of mind") involves, at the creaturely level, viewing your sin as does God, which is to say, taking sides with God against yourself as the sinner (implied in Ps. 51:4).

Peace,
Alan

The two frameworks I have used most often are Thomas Watson's six-part framework, cited above, and Louis Berkhof's three elements. Berkhof points to:

1. An intellectual element: The past life is recognized as a life of sin, involving personal guilt, defilement, and helplessness. Romans 3:20.

2. An emotional element: There is true sorrow for sin as committed against a just and holy God. 2 Corinthians 7:9.

3. A volitional element: There is a change of purpose, an inward turning from sin, and a disposition to seek pardon and cleansing. This is the crowning element of repentance. Acts 2:38; Romans 2:4.

These are succinctly presented in Berkhof's Manual, p. 244.

I will sometimes boil Berkhof's elements down to something like: "You're sorry for your sin because it's evil, and you change your purposes and your direction in life so that they are godly." This emphases the volitional element while still including the emotional element and assuming the intellectual element.

I like to use words like "purpose" and "direction" because they emphasize the internal nature of repentance rather than making it out to be about external results. This distinction helps avoid the error of turning the doctrine of repentance into a doctrine of works righteousness.

Many of the other summaries I see so far in this thread are also great ways to put it, and seem very useful. I hope these summaries keep coming! Repentance is an important concept to be able to summarize well.

"[Saving repentance] includes—1st. A sense of personal guilt, pollution, and helplessness. 2d. An apprehension of the mercy of God in Christ. 3d. Grief and hatred of sin, a resolute turning from it unto God, and a persistent endeavor after a new life of holy obedience."

—A. A. Hodge, Outlines of Theology, p. 487

We used to pray the Act of Contrition (see below) as Catholics. Is there something similar that is correct doctrine for Reformed?

"Oh my God, I am heartily sorry for having offended Thee, because I dread the loss of heaven and the pains of hell. But, Most of all because I have offended Thee my God, who art all good and deserving of all my love. I firmly resolve with the help of Thy grace, to confess my sins, do penance and amend my life. Amen. "

Last edited:
Would I be confusing the issue to say repentance comes in three forms: repentance unto life, repentance to God for individual sins as they arise, and repentance when wronging another person? Each has a slightly different emphasis with the last often incorporating a visible change. (The question, "what does repentance look like?" often pops to mind when I know I've wronged someone.)

We used to pray the Act of Contrition (see below) as Catholics. Is there something similar that is correct doctrine for Reformed?

"Oh my God, I am heartily sorry for having offended Thee, because I dread the loss of heaven and the pains of hell. But, Most of all because I have offended Thee my God, who art all good and deserving of all my love. I firmly resolve with the help of Thy grace, to confess my sins, do penance and amend my life. Amen. "
There is much less written/prescribed liturgy in Reformed and Presbyterian churches. The Anglican Book of Common Prayer contains formal confessions of sin (generally the older the edition, the better the sentiments).

I found this supposedly from the pen of Calvin (many such prayers are found at the end of his commentary-lectures):
Almighty God, since thou delayst with so much forbearance the punishments which we have deserved and daily draw on ourselves, grant that we may not indulge ourselves but carefully consider how often and in how many different ways we have provoked thy wrath against us. May we learn humbly to present ourselves to thee for pardon, and with true repentance implore thy mercy. With all our heart we desire to submit ourselves to thee, whether thou chastisest us, or according to thine infinite goodness, forgivest us. Let our condition be ever blessed, not by flattering ourselves in our apathy, but by finding thee to be our kind and bountiful Father, reconciled to us in thine only-begotten Son. Amen.

By Calvin, taken from Prayers of the Reformers compiled by Clyde Manschreck
found here: http://www.thirdmill.org/files/english/html/worship/pray.confess.html

From B.B Warfield: (this may be revised into a regular prayer)
10. The Gospel I believe that God requires of me, under the gospel, first of all, that, out of a true sense of my sin and misery and apprehension of His mercy in Christ, I should turn with grief and hatred away from sin and receive and rest upon Jesus Christ alone for salvation: that, so being united to Him, I may receive pardon for my sins and be accepted as righteous in God's sight, only for the righteousness of Christ imputed to me and received by faith alone: and thus only do I believe I may be received into the number and have a right to all the privileges of the sons of God.
from here: https://students.wts.edu/lifelong/what_is_reformed_theology.html

Thank you, Pastor Buchanan, these are exactly what I hoped for. I find I am still somewhat concerned to repent correctly, lest our Lord find it less than sincere or complete. Having a written prayer seems to help with that.

I find I am still somewhat concerned to repent correctly, lest our Lord find it less than sincere or complete.

Anne,

Although the desire here is certainly admirable, I would caution you against a common tendency among us, and that is to rely on the perceived sincerity of our repentance for salvation rather than on Christ.

A personal story...

I remember what I think was the first time I heard (or at least grasped) the gospel. I was around 21 or 22 years old (so not that long ago, actually), finishing up college, and attending a local PCA congregation. In a sermon I heard one Lord's Day morning, in a sermon on repentance, the pastor was admonishing those of us who were constantly stressed and worried about whether or not our repentance was sincere enough. He told us that this, in essence, is a sort of works-righteousness because we are focused on ourselves for assurance rather than on Christ and his work and promises. I remember feeling like I had a ton of cinder blocks lifted off my shoulders; it was the most liberating thing I believe I've ever heard in my life.

Now, this does not mean there is no place for introspection. Am I living a godly life? Do I truly love God? Do I really hate my sin? Am I sincerely repentant for it? Yes, there is a place for that. But when these question become an internal and naval-gazing obsession, taking our gaze away from Christ, they become a problem. The law first points to us, condemning us, but with the end that we might be pointed to Christ.

So, I would encourage you not to focus on whether you think your repentance is genuine. After all, what's the standard? Is it how you feel? Given Jeremiah 17:9, that is a very shaky rule by which to measure. Rather, look to and focus on Christ.

Last edited:
Thank you, Pastor Buchanan, these are exactly what I hoped for. I find I am still somewhat concerned to repent correctly, lest our Lord find it less than sincere or complete. Having a written prayer seems to help with that.
Dear Sister,

Know that the best of any man's repentance will never be sincere enough, or complete enough, which is why we eschew self-merit religion. Yes, we should endeavor for the utmost of sincerity, the utmost of completion, the utmost hatred for our sin, etc., all the while recognizing none of those will ever obtain for favor with God. Instead, as Taylor previously intimated, we rest in Christ, making exhaustive use of the appointed means, but never trusting in them. We confess that even our prayers need prayer, and our repentance, repentance, which always should shut us up to faith in Christ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back