What is so bad about Calvinism

Status
Not open for further replies.

SolaSaint

Puritan Board Sophomore
I belong to a SBC church and as most of them they hold to an Arminian view of Soteriology, with the altar call and asking for decisions to be made. This probably comes to no surprise to anyone. However I have heard two very respected ordained men in my church refer to Calvinism as being repulsive or bad Theology. In our Sunday School class this morning we were talking about what gives the SBC a bad rap and our teacher used Al Mohler as a bad example for a Baptist since he was a Calvinist. Another man in our congregation was told I liked John MacArthur and responded with a statement that Mohler was a Calvinist as if that was not a good thing.

I myself don't claim to be a Calvinist. I do agree with the five solas and lean more to a Calivinistic view of Soteriology. I cannot agree to fatalism. I see many scriptural passages that proclaim God's sovereignty and many that proclaim man's responsibilty to come to Jesus. I feel there is a mystery in scripture where we just have to place our trust in God and not get all bent out of shape over what we cannot explain.

Now I have explained where I stand and what I've experienced in my church. My question is, "why is there this disdain for Calvinism?"

Last edited:
It mostly comes from a misunderstanding of Calvinism. Most Baptists believe that Calvinists don't believe in evangelism, think that Jesus doesn't love everyone, and believe that God sends babies to hell. The truth is that most people, including many pastors, are sadly illiterate when it comes to the Bible. If people would just take the time to read the Bible, they would see that alot of the things they have been taught are simply not true.

Many operate, as Bill noted, with a caricature of Calvinism, so they don't like it. And, truth be told, some who claim to be Calvinists give some credence to the caricature, particularly hyper-Calvinists.

On the other hand, sinful flesh does not like it because real Calvinism exalts God in His sovereignty and abases man in his rebellion. Unless our sinful hearts are subdued, to paraphrase Calvin, we will not have this Man to rule over us. As Lewis said, man wants to put God in the dock (the place of judgment). But man is in the dock and God is on the bench. God does not stand before us to be judged by us. We stand before God to be judged by Him. Calvinism makes this very clear and man in his sin hates it.

Peace,
Alan

Hello Rick,

I think two main reasons for the dislike of "Calvinism" are 1) the perception that we are denying man has a responsibility to repent of sin, but that we are instead (supposedly) saying God elects and saves apart from any action of the will of man, and 2) the feeling among many Arminians that God does not have the right to have compassion and mercy on whom He will, and to pass over others whom He has not chosen for salvation.

With #1 they say this makes man but a puppet and God a puppeteer, but this is a misperception (or caricature) of Calvinistic thought. Now it is true that God elects His people before the foundation of the world (Eph 1:4), yet in time He calls them and wins their hearts by His majesty and love, so that those once enemies now willingly bow the knee to Him in humble, adoring, submission. The children of God do indeed use their wills to cleave to and follow their Savior, He enabling them to so do by His indwelling Spirit.

With #2 the Arminians say that Calvinists make God out to be arbitrary and actually evil when they assert God does not will the salvation of every individual instead of leaving it "fairly and justly" (so Arminians say) to each individual to chose to accept or reject Christ. The Calvinists respond that it is written, "there is none that seeketh after God . . . there is none that doeth good, no, not one" (Rom 3:11-12), meaning that man has neither the heart nor the ability to come to God on His own, even upon hearing the Gospel preached. The Calvinists also say that it is written, "when we were dead in sins [God] has quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved)" (Eph 2:5), showing that while being unable to seek after God in our spiritually dead state, and unable to do any good whatsoever as far as pleasing God, He came and regenerated us, gave us faith and a repentant heart, so that we now from the heart desired and willed to please Him - which we could never have done on our own.

The Reformed (or Calvinist) exposition of Scripture showing that man does not have a will to choose to come to Christ except God first regenerate him and give him a new heart is an offense to some, who say that the freedom and power of the human will is a divine and irrevocable gift and God - being a gentleman, as they say - will not violate this gift. But the truth is that while man does indeed have a free will, it is limited to the natural realm (what car shall he buy, what clothes shall he wear, what he shall eat for breakfast, etc) and has no efficacy or even desire to draw near to the true God. If God did not elect and draw men to Him, no man would ever come.

Arminians say that our teaching this is "despicable", denigrating man and God both. But we know it to be true, by the word of God.

I attach a brief paper in PDF I wrote on this:

I run into many believers who are quick to claim that God is sovereign in salvation. They believe in election, total depravity, perseverance and so on. And they tell me Calvinists are of the devil.

They have no idea what a Calvinist is. They've just heard that Calvinists love for people to go to hell, believe we're all robots, are against evangelism and opposed to repentance and faith, and are generally—well, just bad.

I explain what a Calvinist actually is and they realize they are one. Provided I'm not pulling their leg.

They've had a bad caricature of Calvinism preached at them for years, with much bile, and they react more strongly against the word than they actually do against the teachings.

It's not because it's "Calvinism"' but because it's the Gospel! The unregenerate man hates the Gospel. Only those who are born-again will love it.

Thanks for the replies, very helpful. Now as far as Jason's reply, I must tell you, these men I spoke of are born again. They are not offended by the gospel but I feel they misunderstand Calvinism as has been explained by others here.

---------- Post added at 10:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:23 PM ----------

Trying to keep to the topic and not start another thread, I was asked this question, "If God, before creation, decided who would be saved and who would not and nothing can change this, why did Jesus have to die?" I didn't have a good answer.

Rick:

Do these men think that "Jesus had to die? If so, why?

We believe that He had to die to uphold God's offended justice, so that God might be just and the justifier of His people. In our place (by His active and passive obedience), He stood, and He was condemned specifically because He bore our sin and took God's wrath for sin for us.

Only in this way could justice smile and ask no more and grace and mercy be poured out on hell-deserving sinners.

Peace,
Alan

Thanks Alan, I guess I was asking why did God have to use Jesus' death instead of just declaring those righteous whoever He wanted to. I guess we sometimes try to get into God's mind and try to understand His ways. I guess Isaiah 55:8-9 will do!

why did God have to use Jesus' death instead of just declaring those righteous whoever He wanted to

Because everyone is wicked. We have all broken God's law. We are corrupted in sin by having transfered to us in the flesh, Adam's image as a fallen sinner condemned by God and awaiting justice to be served for offending God's holiness. Unless the demand's of GOd's justice are met, there can be no mercy!

Jesus had to be our substitute, or we would be like sodom. Unless Jesus Christ and his righteousness be imputed upon our behalf, we would all receive according to our sins.

The Son of God submitted himself to be the savior of His Father's Chosen One's!

You've been given a lot of good input here. I just wanted to offer the following comment:

I belong to a SBC church and as most of them they hold to an Arminian view of Soteriology, with the altar call and asking for decisions to be made.

There's certainly nothing wrong with asking for decisions to be made regarding Christ. We see it all over Scripture. (I think we would all agree that it's a necessity!) The problem is that they often think that it cannot properly be done without employing their "altar call" method.

---------- Post added at 02:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:01 AM ----------

Additionally, if they are like many SBC churches, many of the folks there are probably more Semi-Pelagian than they are Arminian. For many, embracing Arminianism would be a step in the right direction! Some Southern Baptists, especially older ones (perhaps those especially 50+) will come right out and tell you that they reject original sin, for example.

With regard to the disdain for Calvinism in your church, why don't you ask them about their issues with it if the opportunity presents itself? I'm not advising looking for trouble, but when you hear a man make such statements, why not ask him to provide some more details about what troubles him about Mohler or whatever. "Tell me more about that" etc.

Thanks for the replies, very helpful. Now as far as Jason's reply, I must tell you, these men I spoke of are born again. They are not offended by the gospel but I feel they misunderstand Calvinism as has been explained by others here.

Spurgeon said that Calvinism is the gospel.

"I have my own private opinion that there is no such thing as preaching Christ and Him crucified, unless we preach what nowadays is called Calvinism. It is a nickname to call it Calvinism; Calvinism is the gospel, and nothing else". - A Defence of Calvinism

You've been given a lot of good input here. I just wanted to offer the following comment:

I belong to a SBC church and as most of them they hold to an Arminian view of Soteriology, with the altar call and asking for decisions to be made.

There's certainly nothing wrong with asking for decisions to be made regarding Christ. We see it all over Scripture. (I think we would all agree that it's a necessity!) The problem is that they often think that it cannot properly be done without employing their "altar call" method.

I don't think there is neccesarily anything wrong with an "altar call" or asking someone to pray a prayer, the problem is pastors who tell people that they are definitely saved just because they walked the aisle and prayed a prayer despite any evidence of regeneration in their lives.

Additionally, if they are like many SBC churches, many of the folks there are probably more Semi-Pelagian than they are Arminian.

I thought the term semi-Pelagian referred to the same stance as the term Arminian.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the GREAT replies. I never knew there was a disdain for Calvinism in my church until recently and I do lean closer to Calvin than I do towards Arminius. I do struggle with understanding it all as I'm sure many in here do also. I will ask these men why their disdain for Calvinism if the opportunity presents itself, for I too believe they are just ignorant of what Calvinism is. I agree as Spurgeon has stated in his Defense of Calvinism, that it is the Gospel.

I think that somehow at least in this country (USA) we starting reading the declaration and constitution into the Bible. God gave us this, that and the other thing like liberty, therefore we have the ability to choose according to this eisegesis. Man wants to feel that they are in control of their destiny and want something to brag about.
So it's probably quite a mixture of things.

I think that somehow at least in this country (USA) we starting reading the declaration and constitution into the Bible. God gave us this, that and the other thing like liberty, therefore we have the ability to choose according to this eisegesis. Man wants to feel that they are in control of their destiny and want something to brag about.
So it's probably quite a mixture of things.

Perhaps, but I think this is more a sin thing than an American thing. But I would agree that certain aspects of traditional American thinking are contrary to the Bible.

Rick- I saw similar thinking in my former church. Operative word: former. Most attendees there (did not practice formal membership) would not have had any clue about what Calvinists believe, Arminians believe, etc. They just were "Bible-believing" Christians with a decidedly Arminian view. The two elders/pastors have strong views against Calvinism; ones that I would consider semi-hostile.

With those two men, as with most others who do not like Calvinism, it usually boils down to:

1) Do not understand it. Think it paints God as an arbitrary god. It's fatalistic. It's cold and heartless. It's not fair!

2) Do not understand it. It follows the teaching of a man over the Bible. It doesn't fit with the way the Bible has been taught to them traditionally. It doesn't follow from a "literal" interpretation.

3-and the biggest reason in my opinion) It robs man of any ultimate say in his fate.

I know others have hit on a couple of these already. Just thought I'd share my experience with you.

I heard on on the Factor on fox news that some one believed that the constitution was divinely inspired. I was atonished to hear such strange talk!

I heard on on the Factor on fox news that some one believed that the constitution was divinely inspired. I was atonished to hear such strange talk!

I heard Glenn Beck say exactly that once on Fox News. Glenn Beck.......Fox News.......what else do I have to say?!

I've run into this on the Lutheran side of things lately. Lutherans claim that Calvinism is too "Enlightenment" influenced, because Calvin (according to them) is letting Aristotelian philosophy guide his thinking regarding the sacraments (i.e.-calvinists and evangelicals in general are not taking the words of Christ literally, when the text according to them nowhere states that it's to be taken symbolically).

While they agree to a point on predestination and election, they also reject limited atonement (which I really don't get) and state that we try to "fit our theology into a box" rather than allowing for the mystery of Scripture on some points to be taken as just that. On this point they use the Trinity for their defense-it's an apparent paradox, yet we believe it, and they maintain that we don't allow for this (regarding other doctrinal points).

They also claim we do not divide between law and gospel, claiming that Calvinist place an over-emphasis on works as a sign of salvation, and in the end Calvinists are self-defeating because they lay so much stress on obedience that invariably a person trusts in their own righteousness while giving the gospel only lip service (In fairness, I have seen this happen, even among Reformed folk, so while I wouldn't say that this label is carte blanche true, it is a real danger to watch out for).

Other than that, they like us!

Now I have explained where I stand and what I've experienced in my church. My question is, "why is there this disdain for Calvinism?"
Quite simply, the lost...

- is deceitful and desperately sick (Jer. 17:9);
- is full of evil (Mark 7:21-23);
- loves darkness rather than light (John 3:19);
- is unrighteous, does not understand, does not seek for God (Rom. 3:10-12);
- is helpless and ungodly (Rom. 5:6);
- is dead in his trespasses and sins (Eph. 2:1);
- is by nature a child of wrath (Eph. 2:3);
- cannot understand spiritual things (1 Cor. 2:14); and
- is a slave of sin (Rom. 6:16-20).

When the truth is preached there will always be gnashing of teeth by those that reject the truth. Total inability is what is taught in these passages. Period. Men simply refuse to let God sit on his throne and dispense of his creation as he so pleases.

Sproul's Holiness of God is a book I regularly give away to folks who are struggling with coming to grips with the holiness of God and the stench of sinful man in his nostrils. Every single person claiming the doctrines of grace and the sovereignty of God should read this book, and re-read it at least twice a year. It will drive you to your knees every time.

AMR

Additionally, if they are like many SBC churches, many of the folks there are probably more Semi-Pelagian than they are Arminian.

I thought the term semi-Pelagian referred to the same stance as the term Arminian.

In a formal sense, there are some differences. It is true that many within formally Arminian churches would actually be more Semi Pelagian. However, Classic as well as Wesleyan Arminianism maintains a belief in original sin (imputation of Adam's sin) and total depravity. In their scheme this is overcome by prevenient grace, which makes it possible for all men to believe. This grace of course is resistible. Nevertheless, they do think that grace must precede conversion, etc. At least some semi pelagians would deny this and would say that man already has the innate ability within him to exercise saving faith apart from divine grace. Of course this is a generalization, and few would accept the semi-Pelagian label to begin with. (Often you'll just get "I'm a Biblicist" or "I'm a non-Calvinist.)

Some who hold to essentially Semi Pelagian views will contradict themselves depending on what questions you ask. Not infrequently statements will be made that appear to deny any need for a prior work of grace (even of the prevenient sort) prior to exercising saving faith. I've even seen a few suggest that we're not in too much of a different state than Adam was before the fall! But then when called upon it, many will concede that a work of the Holy Spirit is needed. Often there simply isn't much theological reflection on these matters at all.

When the truth is preached there will always be gnashing of teeth by those that reject the truth. Total inability is what is taught in these passages. Period. Men simply refuse to let God sit on his throne and dispense of his creation as he so pleases.

Sproul's Holiness of God is a book I regularly give away to folks who are struggling with coming to grips with the holiness of God and the stench of sinful man in his nostrils. Every single person claiming the doctrines of grace and the sovereignty of God should read this book, and re-read it at least twice a year. It will drive you to your knees every time.

AMR

That is probably the best book I've ever read. I need to read it again to gain a fresh perspective on God. I still believe the men I've referred to are saved though. I have had times and still do where it is hard to believe some scripture passages and I know I'm saved. I'm sure you have struggled with the truths of scripture at times and I would not say that meant you were lost. I think this might be where these men find the disdain for Calvininists. We don't need to throw out the Heretic card everytime we find someone who is struggling with God's word.

Last edited:

AMR

I say the same thing and elders at my church think im arrogant.
They want to believe that man just doesn't know these doctrines and that is why they don't like them rather it being their hatred for god from their unregenerated hearts of stone.

Timely thread for me. We moved to Mississippi just a couple of years ago and are members of a SBC church. Last night makes three times I have heard derogatory remarks about Calvinism since moving here. Twice from our former church. Yes, we changed churches because I told the pastor that I understand the differing views on the subject and can respect opposing views; however, the monergestic view of soteriology is not silly and stupid. I've taught monergism in Baptist churches for 15 years and can do so without maligning fellow believers.

Calvinism according to last night's message, "God did not capriciously choose who would go to heaven and who would go to hell before the foundation of the world." I was in the crowd so I didn't say anything but later he said, "I'm probably over simplifying this subject". At which point I did shout out a hardy, "amen". :->

Should we respond vocally in a service when we hear a pastor malign the fellow Christians, regardless of the subject matter?

I belong to a SBC church and as most of them they hold to an Arminian view of Soteriology, with the altar call and asking for decisions to be made. This probably comes to no surprise to anyone. However I have heard two very respected ordained men in my church refer to Calvinism as being repulsive or bad Theology. In our Sunday School class this morning we were talking about what gives the SBC a bad rap and our teacher used Al Mohler as a bad example for a Baptist since he was a Calvinist. Another man in our congregation was told I liked John MacArthur and responded with a statement that Mohler was a Calvinist as if that was not a good thing.

I myself don't claim to be a Calvinist. I do agree with the five solas and lean more to a Calivinistic view of Soteriology. I cannot agree to fatalism. I see many scriptural passages that proclaim God's sovereignty and many that proclaim man's responsibilty to come to Jesus. I feel there is a mystery in scripture where we just have to place our trust in God and not get all bent out of shape over what we cannot explain.

I recently wrote a very short comparison of the two major belief systems in 6 parts. They take 10 - 15 minutes to read in total but might help with the basic differences. All parts can be found here: Christian Musings « left-handed scribblings. I'll expand on them and deal with more nuances as time allows. It's a sort of Calvinism 101 so the question of free will needs dealing with in a separate article.

Many operate, as Bill noted, with a caricature of Calvinism, so they don't like it. And, truth be told, some who claim to be Calvinists give some credence to the caricature, particularly hyper-Calvinists.

On the other hand, sinful flesh does not like it because real Calvinism exalts God in His sovereignty and abases man in his rebellion. Unless our sinful hearts are subdued, to paraphrase Calvin, we will not have this Man to rule over us. As Lewis said, man wants to put God in the dock (the place of judgment). But man is in the dock and God is on the bench. God does not stand before us to be judged by us. We stand before God to be judged by Him. Calvinism makes this very clear and man in his sin hates it.

Peace,
Alan

Exactly! Well said brother Alan!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back