What is "suffering with Him?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

ServantofGod

Puritan Board Junior
I inquired in another thread about what it means to suffer for "righteousness sake." Then I came across this verse in Romans tonight, one that I have read before, and never took the time to realize what it is saying. Romans 8:17:

And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.
(KJV)

and if children, heirs also, heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ, if indeed we suffer with Him so that we may also be glorified with Him.
(NASB)
Now if we are children, then we are heirs—heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ, if indeed we share in his sufferings in order that we may also share in his glory.
(NIV)

and if children, then heirs—heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ, provided we suffer with him in order that we may also be glorified with him.
(ESV)

Now, what does it mean to "suffer with him?" Not all believers are going to be beaten, mocked, ect. for being believers. Yet, aren't all of Christ's elect "heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ?" If so, is all suffering that believers do suffering "with Christ?" Is that different from suffering "for righteousness sake?" :confused:

Ian, I think all believers suffer with Christ / for righteousness' sake in some way or other. It may not be plain to us, but I'm pretty sure its so. Whether by subtle exclusions and behind-the-back mockings, or by open animosity and physical attack, it is all suffering with Him when it arises because of we are His.

The suffering that arises from God's decree alone and not by the sin of others or ourselves is different, but just as important to the Christian walk. Whether sickness or injury or poverty or calamity, it all is meant for our sanctification, working in us patience and faith in His faithfulness, and above all it is opportunity He gives us to bring glory to His name and that of His Son.

I heard a sermon the other night that had quite an impact on me, where the preacher said that Christians are as ready for heaven on the day they are first saved as they are after 50 years, that the purpose of our time here after salvation is not to prepare us for heaven, but only to bring Him glory. And He gives opportunity at every step along the way to do that, in every aspect of our lives. Its one of those things we've all heard a thousand times, but this is the one time where it really struck home for me. The chief end of man really is to glorify God, even - maybe especially - in our afflictions. I don't have to worry over all these troubles that come, they'll be over soon enough. I can just go about discerning how I can bring glory to Him in the way I walk on this earth, enjoying that because of the love for Him He has shed abroad in my heart, and He promises to take care of all my needs. He's doing the same for you and your family, brother, just sometimes the road is hard going, sometimes excrutiatingly hard. But He has promised that the end of the road is more lovely than we can even conceive, and has decreed from of old that we will finish the course.

Sorry for babbling, may be completely off-point, just wanted to try and throw a little grace your way. We're praying here, brother.

All Christians have trials and hardships in their lives that are God ordained and that cause us to suffer. God uses these for our growth and sanctification and our reponse to them should glorify Him.

Then temptations, hardships, ect... apart from persecution, is also suffering "with Him," thus we are co-heirs with Christ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back