What is the best book *on* Jonathan Edwards?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RamistThomist

Puritanboard Clerk
I am trying to put together a decent bibliography of material on Jonatahn Edwards, and I am wondering if I have missed something.

Iain Murray's bio of Edwards. Good, warm and pastoral. Doesn't always deal with the philosophical inferences from Edwards's views.

Miller, Perry. A delightful and frustrating read from a man whom John Gerstner described as a "pleasant pagan." Excellent sections on free will, but ruins it with Miller's non-understanding of the Christian life.

Marsden, Geroge. Routinely corrects some of Miller's wackier readings, but work is more historical than analytical.

I have requested Oliver Crisp's works on Edwards.

You should read the biography by Sereno Dwight. I'm reading through it now. It's the first of the works that appear in volume 1 of Edwards' complete works.

Mardsen. Isn't he the biggest? He details every single thing but, I do believe there is an abridged version as well.

Not like any other books listed above but "Marriage to a difficult Man" by Elisabeth Dodds is one of the best books I've read and has a keen insight into the daily life of Edwards.

Mardsen. Isn't he the biggest? He details every single thing but, I do believe there is an abridged version as well.

It is sizeable, but he writes well. I never bothered with the abridged version since I had the bigger one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back