What is the Best Linux Distro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coram Deo

Puritan Board Junior
I will be soon finally retiring all my microsoft applications for I dare not even think of installing Vista.....

So my question is.. What is the best Linux Distro? Would it be Ubuntu? or some else..... I have had experience with Red hat before and Gentoo...

Also

What is the best Gnome GUI? Would it be Baryl for Ubuntu?

Thoughts, Opinions, Solicitations?

Michael

Ubuntu is the best in my opinion, putting Microsoft to shame in both appearance and functionality. We run Ubuntu on 2 of our computers, the third, running Suse 10. Both are great.
I use Compiz not Baryl for Ubuntu.
Linux Rocks!!!

Check out Ubuntu Vs. Vista. No comparison.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xC5uEe5OzNQ]YouTube - WINDOWS VISTA AERO VS LINUX UBUNTU BERYL[/ame]

Here is a post a out up a while back:
Dan,

Beside Ubuntu, what Linux distros do you like that are "out of the box"? I'm intrigued but don't really want to spend a lot of time figuring out how to tweak it just so.

-Fedora Core (it's the end user version of Red Hat. Very nice.)

-Knoppix (Currently the most popular Live CD. It's great if your Windows system crashes and you need to get files off fast.)

-Debian.......Ubuntu is based on Debian which is directly based on the Linux kernel. Ubuntu installs with a bunch of 3rd party applications and either the GNOME or KDE GUI. If you want Debian to install with a GUI, then it's just a check-box away in the setup menu. The only downside for someone who may not have a whole lot of time is that you don't get the Synaptic Package Manager (which is a great "find it fast in the repository" feature which comes stock in Ubuntu). All of this is available if it's installed via command-line in Debian. This should not be confused with other distros in which the user may spend several hours in the command line interface; Debian is quick and as about as painless as it gets while working in the command line.

There are others than what I have here, but these are what I am most familiar with. Although I have not personally tried them, I here Suse and Mandriva are good too. If someone here wants to contest that, please feel free.

Here is a great reference page for apt-get commands (for the console on Debian-based distros)

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Linux-Desktop-Pocket-Guide-Reference/dp/059610104X/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1201068218&sr=1-3"]O'Reilly's Desktop Linux Pocket Guide[/ame] Besides blank CD's, this is the only financial investment I have ever made that's Linux-related. It's a nice, short book in plain English, which gives very relevant introductions and technical specs on five major distros (Fedora Core, Gentoo, Ubuntu, Mandriva, and Suse). It is 2 1/2 years old, so it is somewhat outdated, but I use this very, very frequently for reference. Really, the only parts that are outdated are the bits of commentary on how to get past tough spots in the installation screens. Most of the tricky parts have all been fixed since the book's publication.

To learn more about different distros, check out
DistroWatch.com: Put the fun back into computing. Use Linux, BSD.
Distributions - Linux Downloads Directory (This site helps find just Live CD's, Install Discs, etc)
Ubuntu Forums

Are you familiar with any virtual machine programs like VMWare? VMWare is very popular and the military uses it, so it should be pretty easy to get a Workstation license at no cost. I like using my VMWare to play around with new distros, especially if I don't have the time to really get it perfect on my computer, or if I just want to test and not run the risk of crashing my computer by doing something stupid.

I hope this helps. If you have any questions about any of this, please feel free to ask. I love talking about this stuff.

Try Wine here. It runs Windows Apps and is available in most major repositories (I knew I forgot something above).

***I gotta go to class, but I'll be back to finish this***

Does Baryl or even Compiz come ready in the Ubuntu Distro? Or do I have to get them from their websites and install them?

Ubuntu is the best in my opinion, putting Microsoft to shame in both appearance and functionality. We run Ubuntu on 2 of our computers, the third, running Suse 10. Both are great.
I use Compiz not Baryl for Ubuntu.
Linux Rocks!!!

Check out Ubuntu Vs. Vista. No comparison.
YouTube - WINDOWS VISTA AERO VS LINUX UBUNTU BERYL

You can download them through the Synaptic package manager under System> Administration.

How is the ease of Ubuntu?

My Linux skills are a bit rusty especially for command lines... It has been 5 years since I last played with Linux and it was Red Hat....

You can download them through the Synaptic package manager under System> Administration.

My Linux skills are a bit rusty especially for command lines... It has been 5 years since I last played with Linux and it was Red Hat....

If you can do Windows, you can do Ubuntu. You don't need to mess with the command line if you don't want. I'm sure you need to know Linux commands to do more advanced stuff, but I found amongst everything you need to do (the stuff you do with windows all the time) you can do in Ubuntu. It's very Windows user friendly.

I agree, Ubuntu is probably one of the best distros. I would not hesitate to recommend it to someone who whats to try Linux, but is afraid of the command line. I've got it as on my machine with Windows too, as a duel boot system. (Dual-booting is another issue all together! :) )

I'm even thinking I'd like to put my kids on Ubuntu when I eventually get them new PCs.

One big downside - I can't run e-Sword on it. But I can run the Sword from Crosswire Bible.

Yeah I use to Duel Boot all the time... But I grew out of that after a while......

What I want to try to do is hunt down a hard drive around here and test Ubuntu out first and install Wine and some other programs and try to get a few of my windows based applications that I use that does not exist in Linux to run.... It is only 1 or 2 programs... But I would like to install it first and test it all before I format my system.... Too much to lose and lost of my originally installation files... :lol:

If you can do Windows, you can do Ubuntu. You don't need to mess with the command line if you don't want. I'm sure you need to know Linux commands to do more advanced stuff, but I found amongst everything you need to do (the stuff you do with windows all the time) you can do in Ubuntu. It's very Windows user friendly.

I agree, Ubuntu is probably one of the best distros. I would not hesitate to recommend it to someone who whats to try Linux, but is afraid of the command line. I've got it as on my machine with Windows too, as a duel boot system. (Dual-booting is another issue all together! :) )

I'm even thinking I'd like to put my kids on Ubuntu when I eventually get them new PCs.

One big downside - I can't run e-Sword on it. But I can run the Sword from Crosswire Bible.

You can start out by running Ubuntu as a "live" CD without installing. The free 7.10 disk will allow you to run live or install, whichever you choose.

I've used SuSe, RedHat, Knoppix and Ubuntu -- and agree with others here that Ubuntu is by far the easiest to use and the best.

David

You can start out by running Ubuntu as a "live" CD without installing. The free 7.10 disk will allow you to run live or install, whichever you choose.

I've used SuSe, RedHat, Knoppix and Ubuntu -- and agree with others here that Ubuntu is by far the easiest to use and the best.

David

Where would one get a copy of said "free 7.10 disk"?

I am not familiar with the concept of Live CD... Could you Elaborate on it? Also I am sure you would be able to find said Live CD at the Ubuntu Site?

What are the limitations of Live CD?
Please give more details on it?

Thanks,
Michael

David

I am not familiar with the concept of Live CD... Could you Elaborate on it? Also I am sure you would be able to find said Live CD at the Ubuntu Site?

What are the limitations of Live CD?
Please give more details on it?

Thanks,
Michael

From the site:

A LiveCD is a special version of Ubuntu (or Linux in general) that is built to run only off the CD without needing to be installed. This makes a great tool to test hardware, do system recovery or show new people Ubuntu. As of Ubuntu 6.06 (Dapper Drake), you can also install off the LiveCD.

The LiveCD needs to be downloaded from the Ubuntu site and burned to a CD as an ISO image suitable for booting.

Is it relatively simple to connect the computer to a home network? I have an older computer that I may install Ubuntu on. Will it play nicely with the other Windows machines on my network?

Are there case studies or lists of software that run without problems on Linux. Will Adobe products run, MS Word, etc?

DVD Movies? I hear that Linux movie players can not play some DVD Movies because of decrypting issues.......

We do not own a TV and do not want to own one... We occasionally watch a nice family based movie from the computer screen... So since I bought these DVDs and I own them what is the best way to get them to work on Linux?

I know a CSS lib file works... but what is the best version... a Brother in law has one for his linux system but it only works half the time.... So which is the best...

Are there case studies or lists of software that run without problems on Linux. Will Adobe products run, MS Word, etc?

Some will running WINE - a Windows emulation SW package - it is integrated into Ubuntu.

Couple of thoughts:

Ubuntu is good - Kubuntu (Ubuntu with the KDE desktop GUI) I think is better for those just starting out.

I actually have a USB drive with Puppy Linux and KDE - it is a little quirky, but super fast! :)

For alternative software - see here

Brother,

I run E-Sword on Ubuntu!!!!!!!!!!!

Some will running WINE - a Windows emulation SW package - it is integrated into Ubuntu.

Couple of thoughts:

Ubuntu is good - Kubuntu (Ubuntu with the KDE desktop GUI) I think is better for those just starting out.

I actually have a USB drive with Puppy Linux and KDE - it is a little quirky, but super fast! :)

For alternative software - see here

I love Puppy! We have it on an old p3.

David

Where would one get a copy of said "free 7.10 disk"?

Here.

Is it relatively simple to connect the computer to a home network? I have an older computer that I may install Ubuntu on. Will it play nicely with the other Windows machines on my network?

One of the reasons Ubuntu is praised for being a great "out-of-the-box" distro is because that is exactly what it is: a great toy that functions right after it is taken out of the box - batteries included and everything.

The preloaded networking features on Ubuntu are pretty slick. The network manager works with all wired networking cards, and the distro is preloaded with lots of wireless drivers. Bottom line, once you're online, it's not difficult connecting to other Windows computers in your home.

This might be what you're looking for.

DVD Movies? I hear that Linux movie players can not play some DVD Movies because of decrypting issues.......

We do not own a TV and do not want to own one... We occasionally watch a nice family based movie from the computer screen... So since I bought these DVDs and I own them what is the best way to get them to work on Linux?

I know a CSS lib file works... but what is the best version... a Brother in law has one for his linux system but it only works half the time.... So which is the best...

This might help.

Having alittle trouble here.... Took me more then 4 hours with only 36 kb/s

Finally finished and burned the image using Nero...

Rebooted computer so I can start cd live and Ubuntu boot menu came up... But every action I took it said Could not find install CD and the only option is the reboot button....

Any clue....

Nevermind at this point.. I feel sheepish......

My download never finished and was messed up the last 40 mgs of download... I burned an incomplete ISO.......

Should have MD5SUMed it.......

:confused:

BitLord..... Yikes......

Try BitTornado.... Much better then BitLord...

But I was unaware there was Ubuntu in a torrent format.....

Thanks... But I redownload the entire file last night at another mirror site and took less then 20 minutes and got the Live CD to works..... HooRah.... :)

Download and install this. And then download and open this.

You should get the fastest download speeds by doing it this way.

Awesome. I haven't tried BitTornado yet. What are the benefits of using it over the others?

Ubuntu Works

Cool!

I downloaded the Ubuntu Live CD this evening and with in 5 minutes of inserting it into my CD drive I'm online and posting on the PB.

How cool is that?! :)

I believe I'll install this puppy on my old Dell PC and see what I can make of it.

Cool!

I downloaded the Ubuntu Live CD this evening and with in 5 minutes of inserting it into my CD drive I'm online and posting on the PB.

I believe I'll install this puppy on my old Dell PC and see what I can make of it.

Now that you're on Ubuntu, you are now equipped to enjoy Knoppix Live. Seriously, enjoy it. It's amazing!

Cool!

doh.gif
Never mind....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back