What is the best Study Bible for a non-Christian?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyCalvinist

Puritan Board Junior
Hello,

Today I had a discussion with my Brother-in-law about religion and somehow I said that he should he get a study Bible as study Bibles had reference material that would help him understand the Bible. Amazingly, he agreed. My BIL was raised a RC, became a unitarian, and is now attending a Quaker church. He doesn't know much about Christianity but in the past he as has shown some interest in it, i.e. he has asked for my copy of the Screwtape Letters and a biography of Martin Luther. I don't think he has ever read a Bible and I want to get him one that he will read. I am thinking of either the ESV or Reformation Study Bible. Oh, and I ask for prayer for him as well as he I think he may be open to the gospel.

When I first heard on his radio broadcast that Chuck Swindoll was preaching out of the NLT, and had published a SB using the translation I was surprised. I didn't know at that time how good a translation it is.

Since then I've incorporated the NLT into my Bible reading rotation. Not as a primary text, but for comparison with other English translations.

I haven't personally looked into the Swindoll NLT SB, but it is such a good translation, in my humble opinion, for neophyte Bible readers, I think it would be a great starting point.

Chuck Swindoll claims he is a Calvinist, but I haven't really listened to him enough, nor read anything by him, to be sure of exactly what his theology is.

There is also the NLT Life Application SB, I'm not familiar with the notes in that either, but it might be worth investigating both options if you agree that the translation is worthwhile. If you haven't read the NLT check it out on Bible Hub, or Bible Gateway.

https://www.christianbook.com/page/bibles/translations/nlt/nlt-study-bibles

https://www.christianbook.com/the-nlt-swindoll-study-bible-hardcover/9781414387253/pd/387253

I like the Reformation Heritage Study Bible (available in KJV 1769 and in Spanish the RV 1960) and think it would be a good fit because of its experiential notes, but the translation might be a stumbling block for some folks.

I also heard of the ESV Gospel Transformation Study Bible recently which is supposed to be very Gospel-centered in all of its notes, but I have not looked at it yet.

I think it might be helpful to understand more about your family member and find what kind of Bible he would be most likely to read. For example, for some a good gateway might be something like the Literary Study Bible: ESV (ed., Ryken) which could be a good introduction to appreciating the Bible for someone who is inclined that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back